Midnight

Featured Posts

Notice Alert

Stainforth & Keadby Canal

Saturday 16 July 2022 07:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Information

Update on 21/07/2022:

We have received updated information from Network Rail for the operation of Keadby Rail Bridge as follows:

• Keadby Rail bridge shall only be operated on two occasions per day at 09:00 and 13:00. Boats wishing to make passage should be at the bridge for this time. Any boats arriving after this time will need to wait for the next passage window.
  • Keadby Canal bridge shall be closed (not operated for canal traffic) following a forecast of greater than 26 degrees air temperature.
  • Once closed due to an air temperature of 26 degrees the bridge shall not be operated until there has been a period of 12 hours below a forecast of 26 degrees air temperature.

These operating criteria will be in use until such a time as we are advised differently by Network Rail.

Any enquires please ring the Network Rail helpline which is 03457 11 41 41

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Is this the thin end of the wedge?
Temperatures next week are forecast to be sub 20 degrees.
No thought given to tide times either!

I expect you can plan around the opening  times given which don't seem excessively restrictive.

Temperatures forecast over 26 aren't yet very frequent.

The moorings at Keadby at pleasant enough for an overnight stay  while waiting for a pen out the next day.  And on entering Keadby I expect most people welcome a rest .

6 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I suspect impending strike action is the reason for the general time restrictions.

And staff off with COVID as well?

CaRT could always move Keadby Lock to the Thorne side of the bridge and deepen the cut to the Trent and make it tidal. Pen boats through at low tide, so they fit under the bridge.

Alternatively, Network Rail could replace their bridge with a hump backed one to clear the boats.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

And staff off with COVID as well?

I doubt it as staffing signal boxes isn’t generally optional. My guess is that it’s because someone from the operations management staff will be required to attend to work the bridge when strikes take place.

5 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I doubt it as staffing signal boxes isn’t generally optional. My guess is that it’s because someone from the operations management staff will be required to attend to work the bridge when strikes take place.

During the last strike the bridge was closed (for boats), as the box was not manned.  This must mean it's possible to switch this box out of use, and either the signals run on automatic mode or the signal blocks are longer than usual.  I was allowed into the signal box many years ago, and was allowed to press the button to operate the bridge.

32 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

During the last strike the bridge was closed (for boats), as the box was not manned.  This must mean it's possible to switch this box out of use, and either the signals run on automatic mode or the signal blocks are longer than usual.  I was allowed into the signal box many years ago, and was allowed to press the button to operate the bridge.

Which button was it? Asking for a friend and aiming to get through next week 😆😆😆

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

It’s not a full signal box as it doesn’t directly control any signals.

The line is controlled under track circuit block principles from Scunthorpe signal box.

The box at Keadby will have levers (or possibly buttons) that release the interlocking to enable the signaller at Scunthorpe to clear signals. These are referred to as “slotted signals”.

The normal operating state will be that the slots are released and the signaller at Scunthorpe has free rein to clear the signals until the box operative at Keadby phones up and asks if they can unrelease the slots that will then allow the operative at Keadby to release the interlocking that fixes the bridge in position so it can then be slid.

Although the route itself is open 24/7/363 it may not be the case that Keadby is staffed 24/7 hence turning up wanting the bridge opened at 0300 may not work.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Which button was it? Asking for a friend and aiming to get through next week 😆😆😆

Sorry, I can't remember.   I was allowed into the control room at Grand Sluice, Boston, a bit more recently.  I think my favourite big button was in the control room for an underground power station in Norway, where you could turn the waterfall (at Vøringsfossen) on and off remotely...  I wasn't allowed to press that one either.

dsc_4208.jpg?w=584&h=389

• 9 months later...

Update!
Came through Keadby railway drawbridge at Vazon Bridge today at 11.30am. The signalman let us straight through and said there are no restrictions as far as he knew. C&RT notices page is very confusing telling of a 20 minute delay for divers working on the bridge and no real update, other than rail strike info, about the 9am & 1am restricted opening times. Seems the signalman thinks that's now history as another boat came through about 2pm.

23 hours ago, Midnight said:

Update!
Came through Keadby railway drawbridge at Vazon Bridge today at 11.30am. The signalman let us straight through and said there are no restrictions as far as he knew. C&RT notices page is very confusing telling of a 20 minute delay for divers working on the bridge and no real update, other than rail strike info, about the 9am & 1am restricted opening times. Seems the signalman thinks that's now history as another boat came through about 2pm.

I came through a few weeks ago at 11am- thought it was a fluke but hopefully not.