Replacing deck boards

Featured Posts

When fitting chipboard/MDF kitchen worktops, it is recommended to apply two coats of varnish to seal the edges before fitting. Though once fitted they don't suffer from abrasion like an engine cover will.

I would apply one coat of thinned epoxy to seal the edge and then apply a second coat of normal consistency.  While this is wet, run a band of nylon cloth round the edge, working it into the epoxy.  Overlapping the top and bottom face by about an inch.

Glass cloth is not abrasion resistant, but nylon cloth is.  This was used in the original “Cascover” to protect plywood yachts, though they used resorcinol glue, as used in the manufacture of marine plywood.  This lasts well, and the nylon can move with the wood, whereas glass cloth will not.

The cloth won't stand proud and cause a drainage problem, it will protect the edges and will be covered by the non-slip coating.  You could use paint and sprinkle it with fine sand to give the non-slip surface.

9 hours ago, Peanut said:

When fitting chipboard/MDF kitchen worktops, it is recommended to apply two coats of varnish to seal the edges before fitting. Though once fitted they don't suffer from abrasion like an engine cover will.

I would apply one coat of thinned epoxy to seal the edge and then apply a second coat of normal consistency.  While this is wet, run a band of nylon cloth round the edge, working it into the epoxy.  Overlapping the top and bottom face by about an inch.

Glass cloth is not abrasion resistant, but nylon cloth is.  This was used in the original “Cascover” to protect plywood yachts, though they used resorcinol glue, as used in the manufacture of marine plywood.  This lasts well, and the nylon can move with the wood, whereas glass cloth will not.

The cloth won't stand proud and cause a drainage problem, it will protect the edges and will be covered by the non-slip coating.  You could use paint and sprinkle it with fine sand to give the non-slip surface.

Are you sure you know what Hexagrip or Buffalo board are? Your advice may be fine for plywood but those 1" overlaps would look horrible on Hexagrip or Buffalo board and there is a good chance any paint and anti-slip would fall off the phenolic facings unless you damaged them by abrading/keying them first.

16 minutes ago, Peanut said:

Talking about plywood, obviously, or why would you paint it.

Keep up !

When you cut the phenolic board to fit your deck you leave open-sides/edges which makes the layers of ply open to the elements. This is where we 'paint' or use some form of sealing (resin etc) to stop the ingress of moisture between the sheets of the ply.

You didn't really think this discussion was about painting sheets of plywood did you ?

Anti-Slip Mesh Phenolic Birch Plywood Sheets Trailer Flooring Buffalo Board 18mm

• 9 months later...

Time to replace my deck boards, and seating areas over two boxes at the stern and two in the well deck.

Buffalo board and rigatex seems to come exclusively in dark brown and my boat is black. Hexa board is black, but I don’t like the hexagonal pattern!

Any top ideas of products or suppliers who might be able to help sourcing black basketweave pattern (or similar) in 18ml anti-slip phenolic birch ply?

many thanks.

Edited by Lizzy Lou

On 11/04/2023 at 13:42, Lizzy Lou said:

Time to replace my deck boards, and seating areas over two boxes at the stern and two in the well deck.

Buffalo board and rigatex seems to come exclusively in dark brown and my boat is black. Hexa board is black, but I don’t like the hexagonal pattern!

Any top ideas of products or suppliers who might be able to help sourcing black basketweave pattern (or similar) in 18ml anti-slip phenolic birch ply?

many thanks.

I have brown board as seating in my welldeck, and it looks quite smart., the exposed edges are clear epoxy