Looking for gas boiler engineer in Oxford area

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, maybe he has found the fuse for the boiler has blown so the pilot light won't ignite. :D

More likely given the horrendous way many boats are wired up, it shares the same fuse as the toilet. 

15 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Even more likely, given the silly siting of panels of 12V circuit on/off switches (like mine) he brushed against them and switched them off. Happens all the time here.

Lol yes! 

My first narrowboat had a frustrating problem where the engine would randomly cut out, usually at moments of high stress when carrying out some manoeuvre or other like steering into a lock. 

It always started again and ran perfectly, until the next mildly tricky manoeuvre when it would cut out again so I was beginning to think the engine had some sort of mystical ESP, and was messing with me.

I sussed it in the end though. The engine stop button was at hip height in the hatches and I tended to shift my steering position slightly when steering got a bit stressed, and my hip would lean on the stop button, stopping the engine without me realising why.

Edited by MtB
Add a bit.
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, martintownley said:

Right! Here are some pictures of the boiler. I'm trying to find some more information about it as i don't know how useful the images are. It's hard to get a good angle since it's crammed in a corner

PXL_20220609_200105287.jpg

PXL_20220609_200027381.jpg

PXL_20220609_200046778.jpg

Service manual is on line.  This is the page with the pilot assembly.

https://morcoproducts.co.uk/main-burner-and-pilot-assembly-mp6/

What does not work?   The spark?  The pilot flame? 

Edited by Tracy D'arth

9 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

Even more likely, given the silly siting of panels of 12V circuit on/off switches (like mine) he brushed against them and switched them off. Happens all the time here.

I have never ever inadvertently turned on my webasto🙂

Siteing it alongside my exit steps was maybe not the best idea, head height when in the cabin but hip, or even bike frame, height when exiting.

Currently #78 on todo list

Edited by reg

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Service manual is on line.  This is the page with the pilot assembly.

https://morcoproducts.co.uk/main-burner-and-pilot-assembly-mp6/

What does not work?   The spark?  The pilot flame? 

It's the pilot flame. It doesn't stay on apparently. I haven't properly investigated myself since I was planning to get a pro to look at it. Since that's quite difficult i will have a look myself so thanks for the manual. I will have to put this on hold until next week now though!

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, martintownley said:

It's the pilot flame. It doesn't stay on apparently. I haven't properly investigated myself since I was planning to get a pro to look at it. Since that's quite difficult i will have a look myself so thanks for the manual. I will have to put this on hold until next week now though!

So you can light the pilot and hold the knob fully in for 10 seconds but when you release the knob it goes out?

17 minutes ago, martintownley said:

I've no idea how to use this thing, it doesn't belong to me but the owner said the pilot light doesn't stay on. I might have to consult the manual a bit to get the basics down.

The pilot light depends on the thermocouple generating a tiny voltage to hold the gas valve open after the knob is released.

Check first that the knob does NOT hit the casing when pressed in as then it is not fully opening the valve and the thermocouple will not hold it.

There are 2 overheat switches in the wire connected to the thermocouple, if either is open circuit the flame will not stay lit.

On 07/06/2022 at 14:57, martintownley said:

Hello! 
Does anybody have contact details of a technician (in the Oxford area) who can fix the gas boiler on my boat? 

Followed by:

2 hours ago, martintownley said:

I've no idea how to use this thing, it doesn't belong to me but the owner said the pilot light doesn't stay on.

Unless you are straight with the forum, we are not going to get on that well.

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

Followed by:

Unless you are straight with the forum, we are not going to get on that well.

Can I remind you your application to be a moderator on here didnt progress, so less of the 'we' please.

It may also be helpful if the OP understands the difference between a gas boiler and a gas instant water heater. Two totally different things.

Unless it has already been mentioned, if he goes onto the Gas Safe website he can look up the registered engineers, but he needs to ensure the one he selects is endorsed for both LPG and Marine.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, martintownley said:

Thanks Tony that's very useful, I didn't know about the Gas Safe website so I'll have a look on there. And yes you're right, I didn't know there was a difference between a gas boiler and a gas instant water heater so thanks for pointing that out.

Just to explain a little about what has already been alluded to.

Gas safe engineers have a 'driving licence' type of card which shows their qualifications (like there are categories on your licence to drive a car, a motorbike, a bus, a truck etc). the Gas safe Engineers must be qualified to work on different aspects of gas installations, so they can be qualified for 'mains gas' for installation in a house, and a separate quaification for LPG in a house, they can be LPG qualified for caravans and a separate qualification for LPG in boats so you need to ensure that your choice of installer is :

a) Qualified to install LPG

b) Qualified to install LPG in boats.

52 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just to explain a little about what has already been alluded to.

Gas safe engineers have a 'driving licence' type of card which shows their qualifications (like there are categories on your licence to drive a car, a motorbike, a bus, a truck etc). the Gas safe Engineers must be qualified to work on different aspects of gas installations, so they can be qualified for 'mains gas' for installation in a house, and a separate quaification for LPG in a house, they can be LPG qualified for caravans and a separate qualification for LPG in boats so you need to ensure that your choice of installer is :

a) Qualified to install LPG

b) Qualified to install LPG in boats.

I would use the term "work on" rather than install in this instance.

• Greenie 1