Noise nuisance.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

My dog barks when someone comes to the door and when I leave (until he hears the gate shut at which point he accepts that he's not coming with me). This was fine on the boat but I worried when moving back into the house.

I knocked the neighbours' doors to apologise, and discuss possible action but was pleasantly surprised when both sides said they were glad he was a barker and they (both elderly) felt safer, now they knew there was an alert dog next door.

I'm sure, Kookie, that once you've settled into your 'community' you, and your mutts, will be more popular than the miserable old git, having a moan.

have you thought about earplugs? on account of your sensitive ears, just in case someone speaking next to you annoys you.

That's actually an excellent idea! Even better I could shove a compressed air line in each ear and blow my eardrums out so's I will never hear again. Then I can post that since you appear to lack the social responsibility needed for responsible dog ownership you should not be allowed to keep one, and the beauty of it is that you won't be offended, 'cos you'll have poked your own eyes out to avoid seeing it! Brilliant!

That's actually an excellent idea! Even better I could shove a compressed air line in each ear and blow my eardrums out so's I will never hear again. Then I can post that since you appear to lack the social responsibility needed for responsible dog ownership you should not be allowed to keep one, and the beauty of it is that you won't be offended, 'cos you'll have poked your own eyes out to avoid seeing it! Brilliant!

erm me thinks someone has had too much coffee this morning

Children, children, please play nicely.

There is a large population of boat owners who own a dog. some will bark a bit, some will bark a lot, some will not bark at all.

I'm sure kookie is a responsible dog owner, but as said, there are ways and means to approach someone to air your concerns if you feel they are doing something which offends you.

Having an adult discussion using a polite manner is fine, threatening someone and making them fear for their safety is not fine.

If kookie said even the marina staff could not hear the dog, there is a fair chance the dogs do not bark excessively.

I know a lot of people who do not own dogs and hate barking noise, whether it be for 5 seconds or 5 hours. I think there is a compromise to be made, but not through a threatening and violent manner.

I can't bare noise such as lous music. I put up with a lot of that carp before when I owned a house and part of that noise was dog barking. The dog in question was severely neglected, almost always in some sort of pain given that it's diet was poor and it's outgoings were nasty (and also done in my garden), and the dog was barking out of sheer boredom. I hated it, but that doesn't apply to all dogs.

There is always going to be bug bears for everyone. I hate loud music, I never understand why anyone needs to listen to anything that loud it shakes your neighbours walls, but that's me.

Threatening behaviour in any guise is unacceptable.

Children, children, please play nicely.

There is a large population of boat owners who own a dog. some will bark a bit, some will bark a lot, some will not bark at all.

I'm sure kookie is a responsible dog owner, but as said, there are ways and means to approach someone to air your concerns if you feel they are doing something which offends you.

Having an adult discussion using a polite manner is fine, threatening someone and making them fear for their safety is not fine.

If kookie said even the marina staff could not hear the dog, there is a fair chance the dogs do not bark excessively.

I know a lot of people who do not own dogs and hate barking noise, whether it be for 5 seconds or 5 hours. I think there is a compromise to be made, but not through a threatening and violent manner.

I can't bare noise such as lous music. I put up with a lot of that carp before when I owned a house and part of that noise was dog barking. The dog in question was severely neglected, almost always in some sort of pain given that it's diet was poor and it's outgoings were nasty (and also done in my garden), and the dog was barking out of sheer boredom. I hated it, but that doesn't apply to all dogs.

There is always going to be bug bears for everyone. I hate loud music, I never understand why anyone needs to listen to anything that loud it shakes your neighbours walls, but that's me.

Threatening behaviour in any guise is unacceptable.

Quite right. I mentioned the tv programme about noise and the council officers enforcing EH regulations. All of the offenders insisted they were not too noisy, they always will and that makes the judjement of the source of the noise suspect. The complainer is clearly being disturbed by barking dogs, equally clearly he is mistaken as to what dogs they are if they are 25 miles away when the noise occurs. I simply object most strongly to the "screw you, buy some earplugs" atitude.

I used to keep bees, I got rid of them when I discovered my niegbours were frightened of them, I could have said "sod you, be frightened in your own home my right to keep bees trumps any rights you may think you have" but I didn't. I understand that there are many places where "Woof!" is a voice of authority however.

I am no different to you snibble. I am highly sensitive to noise.

I didn't used to be. When I was about 13, the house next door caught fire, and fire brigade were called, the windows exploded, there were people everywhere, my dad and some of the other men from the street had ladders up and got all the kids and adults out even before the fire brigade got there. It was chaos, noise, just about the whole street was up.

Me? I was fast asleep in the land of nod. My sister had to come and wake me up and tell me the house was on fire.

Since having the kids, and having some carp neighbours, my noise tolerance levels are pretty low, but not without consideration for what normal should be, just that some noises are just not necessary.

Interesting thread.

The main reason im moving onto a boat is to get away from noise and if any arises I can just move our home.

We have a social club across from us about 1000 meters away.

On a Monday night if i want to relax in the bath I cant as i can hear the noise from the dreaded Kareoke wailing out.

There are other nights too.

Even if we want to chill out in the garden in summer we have to put up with its noise.

Over the last year or so myself and my partner have had to ring the landlady up in excess of 30 times to ask her to turn it down.

We have had enviromental health in our house late at night to witness it but still nothing has been done.

I must admit Stockports enviromental health team are crap and should be sacked.

I have had to change my life routine to get around the noise.

I have had my windows smashed due to the landlady bitching about us complaining to her customers.

We have always been polite but always its us who are made to feel like the problem not the club!

This is why we are selling up as my temptation to drive our car through the building and render the business useless has been talked about seriously on some occasions.

We have invited the clubs area manager to our house to discuss the problem he was the most arrogant person i have met which resulted in him and the landlady being thrown out of our house.

Its all very unfair and noise really does stretch ones limits and desire to do bad things to the offenders.

That's a bonus of being on a boat, it's ability to move.

We have done this a few times because of loud party animals who saw fit to use the towpath as a rave house.

Being able to untie the ropes and set off down the cut is a god send to me because I would go stir crazy otherwise.

My old house may as well have had a social club next to it, for we had music, karaoke and noise nuisance like that almost every day until the wee hours and then sometimes it just didn't stop.

I can sympathise with you Anthony, and hope you find live on board a lot more pleasant.

That's a bonus of being on a boat, it's ability to move.

We have done this a few times because of loud party animals who saw fit to use the towpath as a rave house.

Being able to untie the ropes and set off down the cut is a god send to me because I would go stir crazy otherwise.

My old house may as well have had a social club next to it, for we had music, karaoke and noise nuisance like that almost every day until the wee hours and then sometimes it just didn't stop.

I can sympathise with you Anthony, and hope you find live on board a lot more pleasant.

The time I was disturbed by music from a boat a mile away, I moved another two miles and could still hear it! Like I said, I am hard of hearing, but the character concerned was so insensed that I should dare politely ask him to turn it down that he promised to crank it up full ALL NIGHT, and he did, despite having his child aboard, this guy blew out music so loud that someone hard of hearing could hear it 3 miles away! Had a point to make I suppose, and it was worth subjecting his child to a sleepless night with possible hearing damage thrown in to make it.

My fault tho', too sensitive.

The time I was disturbed by music from a boat a mile away, I moved another two miles and could still hear it! Like I said, I am hard of hearing, but the character concerned was so insensed that I should dare politely ask him to turn it down that he promised to crank it up full ALL NIGHT, and he did, despite having his child aboard, this guy blew out music so loud that someone hard of hearing could hear it 3 miles away! Had a point to make I suppose, and it was worth subjecting his child to a sleepless night with possible hearing damage thrown in to make it.

My fault tho', too sensitive.

Interesting that you could hear the noise that far away. Allowing for exageration I would say that what you experienced was called ducting. This is caused by local weather conditions.

Interesting that you could hear the noise that far away. Allowing for exageration I would say that what you experienced was called ducting. This is caused by local weather conditions.

And buggerall but a few bushes in line of sight between us. Boaters on the mooring I moved to thought it was me and asked me to turn it down! The floating beat box in question is still bridge hopping up and down the same few miles.

We have a whole fleet of floating beat boxes (trying saying that fast), who are permanant cruisers moorers, and thankfully they seemed to have found each other in a spot no-one else would bother with.

As much as I would like them shifted, they will only spoil the other nice spots, so they can keep it as I wouldn't last an hour with the noise they make.

We have a whole fleet of floating beat boxes (trying saying that fast), who are permanant cruisers moorers, and thankfully they seemed to have found each other in a spot no-one else would bother with.

As much as I would like them shifted, they will only spoil the other nice spots, so they can keep it as I wouldn't last an hour with the noise they make.

Where abouts is this spot StoneHenge so we can avoid it?

I was actually using active noise cancelling headphones that time which are wired to a small radio, not the wireless ones...

these ones: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Module...&doy=search

Machpoint005 (3.8mph?): Do these have any potential dangers?

edits

Do those actually work?

Seems to me that you might be in danger of not hearing a fisherman hollering at you before he hoiks a brick or can of maggots! (Fishing Line tangled in Magnet line)

I am surprised that some people can hear any noise at all above the bee buzzing in their bonnet!

I wander what would happen to a boater who went to the local farmer to complain about the noise his sheep make at night!

Edited by Radiomariner

These headphones do work very well, they cut the low frequency sounds so you can listen to the music at a lower volume. I can still hear people trying to communicate with me as most voices are a higher frequency which is less affected by the noise cancel device. Brilliant kit and sometimes maplin have them for 15 quid. Sony etc do them but they are much more expensive.These headphones do work very well, they cut the low frequency sounds so you can listen to the music at a lower volume. I can still hear people trying to communicate with me as most voices are a higher frequency which is less affected by the noise cancel device. Brilliant kit and sometimes maplin have them for 15 quid. Sony etc do them but they are much more expensive.

Missed lots of these posts ....... again :rolleyes:

I'm sure I've posted this before, however

I was taught a lesson in intrusion by others in the 80s.

I set up CB in my home when it became legal. Soon I could only talk to locals because of the interference of others, however I talked to who I could here hear, not who I wanted to, but couldn't.

Eventually after a year or two I wore them down, and the immediate locals got fed up. I then found another level of interference with the same result.

Another couple of years and these got fed up (people have no staying power) but, there was interference of a buzzing noise. We never discovered where it came from, however it usually lasted all day.

Finally after 7 or 8 years the buzzing noise disappeared, but I still couldn't talk, because I could hear one person of 2 converstions some distance away, on the same frequency, so cancelling each other out.

Then after even more years, and it was dead quiet, everyone had got fed up, and I was alone.

Moral of this story: There will always be something to annoy you. One simply covers another underneath, so learn to live with it, have patience and it will go away.

Edited by Supermalc

These headphones do work very well, they cut the low frequency sounds so you can listen to the music at a lower volume. I can still hear people trying to communicate with me as most voices are a higher frequency which is less affected by the noise cancel device. Brilliant kit and sometimes maplin have them for 15 quid. Sony etc do them but they are much more expensive.These headphones do work very well, they cut the low frequency sounds so you can listen to the music at a lower volume. I can still hear people trying to communicate with me as most voices are a higher frequency which is less affected by the noise cancel device. Brilliant kit and sometimes maplin have them for 15 quid. Sony etc do them but they are much more expensive.

Thanks Mags, might get a pair for myself.

on the subject of noisy neighbours, I live in a flat below a woman who really is the neighbour from hell. 3 times a week she goes to the local "night club", returning at 3.00am with a load of drunken friends and it's PARTY time. This has been going on for 9 months, I've asked her sweetly to shut the f**k up but to no avail. I've complained to the landlord and even rang the police but nothing works, she continues to party and her taste n music is dire!

Today, at 3.15am, i'm lying asleep in my bed when suddenly the light in the bedroom comes on. There's my neighbour standing over me in very skimpy jim jams asking if i'm ok (she's 36, blonde and well....). Im lying there looking up at this woman thinking what the f**k is going on and she keeps asking if I'm ok. i'm so taken by surprise that I cant think of an adequate response. i'm just staring at her body..lol.

Last night I managed to burn my dinner and in order to get rid of the smell left the front door open. She, coming back from the night club, decides to investigate. The bloody dogs dont make a sound and instead are just wagging their tails ( mind you, I have trained them never to bark at any strange woman under the age of 90 who comes in skimpily clad).

So, the neighbour from hell turns out to be a good Samaritan - and not a bad looking one either!

I'm now sitting here thinking...phew

I'll buy her a bunch of flowers tomorrow to say thank you.....freesias seem to do it for most women?

Edited by cuillean_dubh