Stratford ring clock wise last two weeks in June

jacko264

Featured Posts

It is easier going clockwise, going down the locks on the Avon is much easier than going up them.  Can't see any particular issue with going in June, there are lots of hire boats doing this at that time of year.  As with any river it is possible for heavy rain even at that time of year to cause problems, we had a day not moving on the Avon in June last year due to rain, but the river only came up about a foot and went down quickly.

• Greenie 1

It reads to me as the OP is concerned about stemming the flow going upstream on the River Severn. Hire boats are only allowed onto the river on green boards and the Severn in those conditions is pretty benign. I don't find it makes that much difference whether going upstream or downstream when the levels are normal or lower. Often when leaving the staircase at Stourport to enter the river going downstream the prevailing wind makes it look like the river is flowing uphill.

It should be fine, two weeks is easily enough Im sure, did the ring clockwise in a hire boat with a young crew of three to five at various times in a week two years ago. 

But perhaps you may enjoy a different ring? 

I imagine you remember mooring on the Severn isn't brilliant between Tewkesbury and Diglis apart from Upton though that gets busy early. 

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It should be fine, two weeks is easily enough Im sure, did the ring clockwise in a hire boat with a young crew of three to five at various times in a week two years ago. 

But perhaps you may enjoy a different ring? 

I imagine you remember mooring on the Severn isn't brilliant between Tewkesbury and Diglis apart from Upton though that gets busy early. 

I would not plan on stopping between Tewkesbury and Worcester, it is only about 5 hours anyway so there is no real need to. 

There is a decent amount of mooring in Tewkesbury, but if you want an early start lock down to the Severn level the day before and moor on the wall.   I saw something that stated the they are bringing back a permeant lockkeeper on the lock at Tewkesbury, so hopefully the opening hours will be better than they were last year when it was using on volunteers.

2 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Hi John6767

we have been narrow. Boating for about 12 years  ( holiday times ) and been round most rings  the one that sticks in our minds is the Stratford  so we have chosen this again this year

Graham

It is a good choice when you are happy with rivers and a lot of locks, which you clearly are.

13 hours ago, john6767 said:

I would not plan on stopping between Tewkesbury and Worcester, it is only about 5 hours anyway so there is no real need to. 

There is a decent amount of mooring in Tewkesbury, but if you want an early start lock down to the Severn level the day before and moor on the wall.   I saw something that stated the they are bringing back a permeant lockkeeper on the lock at Tewkesbury, so hopefully the opening hours will be better than they were last year when it was using on volunteers.

I wouldn’t plan to either  but it’s easy to get to Tewkesbury at 2pm and feel the need to push on and thus find moorings challenging. I’ve stopped at Upton and seen this several times with other boaters who’ve passed then come back. 5 hours is arbitrary, our slow boat takes a bit longer 🤣

the OP has now posted they are experienced so all should be OK.  As a ring it’s one of the best especially on warm Summery days.