regular prescribed medicine

joe c

Featured Posts

My GP has an app called "Healthera" which I use to order my repeat prescriptions. There's an option after selecting your meds where it asks you what pharmacy you want to collect it from. I don't know if this app is exclusive to certain GP's, but it's definitely worth trying! I use it all the time. The first time you use it they might make you call or something to confirm that you've been prescribed these drugs, but apart from that it works pretty efficiently! I've moved around a lot in the past three years because of uni and I've not had any issues with changing pharmacies. 

• Happy 1

• 1 year later...

While continuously cruising, how are regular meds obtained ? I take 5 meds each day. There is an additional one, but only required at the height of passion. I would not have a local Doctor on my radar. I have an account with Patient Access, but that is locked to a Doctor who will be 100 miles away. I have looked through many threads on many forums, but looking for a definitive answer, Thank you.

When I go online to order a repeat prescription using the nhs app, my GP approves it and sends it electronically to a chemist that I have nominated in the NHS app.  I don’t think there is any requirement for the chemist to be close to the GP.  So presumably you could nominate a chemist close to where you happen to be, then order the prescription.  It does take a few days before it’s ready.  Would that work for you?

It can all be very easy with a good GP surgery, but many are not so good.

My doctor is in Wiltshire, I spend winters in Yorkshire and travel extensively in summer.

Last week I logged on to the doctors website, selected repeat medication and in the "extra info box" said "please send to Boots in Bridly Place". It was there the next day.

Many consultations are done over the phone if possible.

However untill a few years ago the main doctor was a boater so maybe that helped 😀

(I have been trying to find a surgery in Yorkshire that can be this good but so far have failed)

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

If your GP uses the NHS app, repeat prescriptions are dead easy.

If they don't ... perhaps you need to find a GP who is actually in the 21st century. 

It states here that all practices in England have the app and you can order prescriptions from them all by the looks of it? That’s only for England though. It’s not available/a way behind in Scotland and Wales is slowly catching up …. 

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-app/about-the-nhs-app/ 

• Greenie 1

On 19/02/2022 at 18:42, cheshire~rose said:

When your doctor provides a prescription you can select the pharmacy you wish it to be dispensed at. 

My doctors surgery does things using an app now and it is all electronic so, when I know I am going to need a prescription I plan to be somewhere with a handy pharmacy and select that one. 

There have been occasional hiccups but if you end up in the wrong place you can call the original pharmacy and ask they to put it back on " the spine" - you get a number where the next pharmacy can take it off the spine to dispense it. 

The one thing you are likely to need is your NHS number so make a note of it from an old prescription 

Also beware of larger towns where they may have more than one branch of a pharmacy. I have ended up walking further than planned before now!

I have used this, when I order a prescription the on line form asks for my preferred pharmacy. You enter the name and address of the one you wish to use and when the prescription is signed off by my doctor I get a text telling me and usually within two days the pharmacy messages me to say its ready for collection. I usus=ally use the ones in Tesco as they are open long hours and already have my phone number on file, and of course there is usually one in any major town I stop in. Its just a case of timing stops for the time I need a prescription. My doctor does two months at a time so its not too arduous. Just remember to alter the pharmacy each time or the previous one is remembered and that will be where it is issued to

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It states here that all practices in England have the app and you can order prescriptions from them all by the looks of it? That’s only for England though. It’s not available/a way behind in Scotland and Wales is slowly catching up …. 

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-app/about-the-nhs-app/ 

. Thanks -- I thought that was the case. The system works especially well for regular long-term medication, such as statins.