What size nut fits this spanner?

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, MtB said:

12mm probably.

What is it on?

Ah now interesting, there is no 12mm a/f nut in the metric thread range according to the site below. Odd because the 12mm spanner in my toolbox gets a lot of use. 

https://amesweb.info/Fasteners/Nut/Metric-Hex-Nut-Sizes-Dimensions-Chart.aspx

Mine too. There are a lot of 12mm AF nuts and bolts on my Isuzu, usually where I expect to find a 13mm one

Richard

I looked into this years ago and came across the mention of self-closing valves.  I've never heard of a narrow boat that has them and the various examiners were unperturbed by their absence. 

I did replace the glass sight tube with a 15mm polycarbonate one.  This is much more robust and will accept compression fittings.  

diesel tank5.JPG

Edited by koukouvagia

26 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

I looked into this years ago and came across the mention of self-closing valves.  I've never heard of a narrow boat that has them and the various examiners were unperturbed by their absence. 

I did replace the glass sight tube with a 15mm polycarbonate one.  This is much more robust and will accept compression fittings.  

diesel tank5.JPG

You can get them though.

304002.jpg

"This brass valve is only opened when the operating button is pushed. The Maestrini 0082 3/8" push button valve is spring loaded to automatically return to the off position when button is not depressed. Ideal for applications such as tank sight glasses, or air purge, where a valve must never be left open."

https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/maestrini-self-closing-push-button-valve-3-8-bsp-304002

On the other hand, a quarter turn ball valve with a weight hung on the handle would be a cheaper alternative.

19 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It is possible that it is an imperial nut of some sort, not metric. Depends where it was made and how long ago.

The numbers you describe are metric measurements across the flats of the spanner, or nut in mm, so it would be 12mm AF, not number 12.

In imperial a 7/16" spanner would be 11.11mm across the faces and 15/32" would be 11.91mm across, which is why I asked. The standard ranges of metric nuts go

M6 thread take 10mm AF nuts/spanners

M8 threads take 13mm AF nuts/spanners

M10 threads take 15mm AF nuts/spanners.

These are the most common by far, but you do see other metric nuts for specific uses and I have seen 12mm AF nuts being used. Various imperial ranges exist too. Using the wrong size spanner, or buying the wrong nut could cause a lot of damage. Rounding off the nut faces and wrecking the threads respectively.

Jen

Depends a bit on the manufacturing tolerances of nuts and spanners as well. On my Defender, the prop shaft bolts should be 9/16" AF. About half of them are too large for a 14mm spanner, and the rest are too small for a 9/16" to do the job. Not due to bolt rounding, unless it happened at Solihull! 🙂

55 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

You can find your 13mm spanner!

I suppose that's why you're an engineer and I'm just a monkey

It's the 10mm of mine that tends to go walkabout.

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Tonka said:

Dare I mention an adjustable spanner. Metric or imperial. Although proper engineers do not use adjustable spanners as they tend to round the nut off

Quality rules with English spanners! A good one is just as good a fit (sometimes better!) than the correct spanner. For the price of the ONE I have on the boat, I could have bought two sets of cheapos. Worth it, though.