Hello Folks, New here!

mad jeff

Featured Posts

Hello everybody, I just discovered this busy little forum, hope you don't mind if I join you. We've just bought a lovely boat to live on on the Oxford canal. I lived on a boat twenty odd years back on the Thames at Windsor and I have been desparate to get back to living on the water ever since. We've not moved in yet as we are still in the process of selling our house but the boat's all ours and I just can't wait. She's a 52footer built as a reed cutter for the Norfolk Broads in the 1940s. She's been very neatly restored by the previous owner leaving us very liittle to do. Just getting things sorted ready to move on. When you're moving from a 3 bedroom house, you have an awful lot of crap to get shot of, so it's a bit of a mission! we've got a couple of dogs who don't yet know what's in store for them (greyhound and lurcher). Hope they don't mind the move too much, we're moored close to Oxford's Port Meadow which is one of their fave spots for a run, so they should be cool. Anyhow, no doubt I'll be needing the odd bit of advice so thought I should say hi and get aquainted..Hi!

005.jpg

Hello everybody, I just discovered this busy little forum, hope you don't mind if I join you. We've just bought a lovely boat to live on on the Oxford canal. I lived on a boat twenty odd years back on the Thames at Windsor and I have been desparate to get back to living on the water ever since. We've not moved in yet as we are still in the process of selling our house but the boat's all ours and I just can't wait. She's a 52footer built as a reed cutter for the Norfolk Broads in the 1940s. She's been very neatly restored by the previous owner leaving us very liittle to do. Just getting things sorted ready to move on. When you're moving from a 3 bedroom house, you have an awful lot of crap to get shot of, so it's a bit of a mission! we've got a couple of dogs who don't yet know what's in store for them (greyhound and lurcher). Hope they don't mind the move too much, we're moored close to Oxford's Port Meadow which is one of their fave spots for a run, so they should be cool. Anyhow, no doubt I'll be needing the odd bit of advice so thought I should say hi and get aquainted..Hi!

005.jpg

Hi she looks lovely! i used to live near kidlington on the oxford canal, it was lovely to walk down there on an evening.

Hi she looks lovely! i used to live near kidlington on the oxford canal, it was lovely to walk down there on an evening.

I hate to say this but Acme was a character boat around Oxford for years I've got a photo of her from the 80's but since someone got her stretched a couple of years ago the character dissapeared instantly, its such a shame. I don't think I have ever seen a boat like her :P

I hate to say this but Acme was a character boat around Oxford for years I've got a photo of her from the 80's but since someone got her stretched a couple of years ago the character dissapeared instantly, its such a shame. I don't think I have ever seen a boat like her :P

Mad Jeff thinks his new boat looks wonderful to him. A lot of a boat character is invested by the owner. Friendly, idiosyncratic owners seem to have friendly idiosyncratic boats; it's the welcome inside that really counts in my opinion ........ Beware of treading on people's dreams unnecessarily.

Shep

Good luck with your new boat Jeff and welcome to the forum.

Edited to say:- is it me or would 2 ears on the top make that boat look like Danger Mouse :P I have the same problem with mine and reckon 2 ears would look great on the top and the kids would love it.

Edited by Maverick

Hello Mad Jeff and welcome,if you want to dispose of your stuff and store up some goodwill or whatever you could recycle it on FreeCycle to others.Nice looking boat too.Regards, Shep
Yeah, thinking of that.Thanks for reminding me.
I would love to see some pictures of her before she was worked on. I do think she looks a bit industrial and featureless now, it's true. Still..seems solid enough. Tell me more....

Hi and welcoom. It looks an interesting shape, do you have any pics of her in pre-converted shape?

I do wish sometimes we had a company like that one whos name elludes me down on the solent that has been taking photos of boats for years and flogs em off as photos or cards of posters...some great shots over the years

found it.. http://www.beken.co.uk/library.htm

edited to add beken site link

Edited by saltysplash

• 1 month later...