Generator Charging

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Thought I'd give a quick update. It's not good :(

Seems to be very temperamental using the method of plugging something into genny and then switching box in. Sometimes works first time, other times, like this morning, it's taken me half an hour keep doing the same thing.... box shows bulk charging mode, then trips and box turns itself off. Start again... I'm incredibly frustrated.

Best method I've found is having the external battery charger switch on too, at the same time as then putting the inverter charger on, but even that's been hit and miss and I'm worried I could a) damage my Victron or b) be damaging my batteries somehow. Is this possible? 

When i do then get it up and running, it's charging fine at a nice voltage, but will often trip again, usually around the one hour mark. Incredibly frustrating and depressing having to manage a charging regime like this when this is all actually CanalLine's crappy parts (this is an alternator that was replaced in August, and has blown already, but that's a separate issue for on here) 

I can't answer the bit about damaging the Victron, except to say I think it validates my decision to run a 12V boat but as long as the charging voltage is at or less the maximum given in your battery data sheet I can't see how they can be damaged. The only way they could is if the voltage was lower than about 14V before dropping to float or if the problems cause you to continually undercharge them so they sulphate.

Thanks Tony.

I'm just concerned about having a 'manual' battery charger connected to the batts and on as well as the inverter/charger. Voltage definitely isn't going above14.6 at the very most but apparently too many charging amps can also damage a battery? So worried with, technically, two chargers on, if this could be an issue. I have got the other, manual one on the minimum setting of 3amps though.

5 minutes ago, lewisericeric said:

Thanks Tony.

I'm just concerned about having a 'manual' battery charger connected to the batts and on as well as the inverter/charger. Voltage definitely isn't going above14.6 at the very most but apparently too many charging amps can also damage a battery? So worried with, technically, two chargers on, if this could be an issue. I have got the other, manual one on the minimum setting of 3amps though.

Have you explored the "Weak AC" setting? The trouble with generators... - Victron Energy

• Greenie 1

I don’t think there is a concern about damaging the batteries or the Victron. But clearly the whole thing is a pain that needs fixing, and I think the Victron settings is the place to start. If you don’t want to tackle it yourself maybe consider getting a Victron agent out to the boat to have a tinker. Obviously this will cost, but there is no point in having an expensive generator and an expensive Victron Combi if they won’t play nicely together. I don’t know where you are but the likes of the guys at Springwood Haven - Onboard Energy - would be a good place to start.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, lewisericeric said:

I'm just concerned about having a 'manual' battery charger connected to the batts and on as well as the inverter/charger. Voltage definitely isn't going above14.6 at the very most but apparently too many charging amps can also damage a battery? 

You can only get "too many" charging amps through a battery if the voltage is too high as well.  Otherwise the batteries will limit the charge current themselves.

You are not getting above 14.6 so all is OK.

Naa

Thanks Bengo, that's a relief to know. 

Not sure what to do re generator/Victron. Gennie is only borrowed and I bloody hate the  things so hoping it's going to be only temporary while alternator is fixed. The probs I've had charging with them and then the impracticality of getting petrol for them when I don't drive either, makes it more hassle than anything else... 

Will check the Victron article/blog out too. Annoying that the settings on 'manual' in the sense that you can just change them on the box without needing to order/pay for/have delivered software, cables etc. The world has gone nuts! 

4 minutes ago, lewisericeric said:

Will check the Victron article/blog out too. Annoying that the settings on 'manual' in the sense that you can just change them on the box without needing to order/pay for/have delivered software, cables etc. The world has gone nuts! 

Its cheaper for the manufacturers and they get a second chance to exploit you when they sell you the cable etc. It is the way of the world.

1 hour ago, lewisericeric said:

Thanks Tony.

I don't know what type of manual charger you have but if its an old heavy transformer type that on its own could damage batteries because as batteries charge the voltage rises until it can destroy the battery. As you never go above 14.6 this will not be the case. What might happen is that once the pair go into absorption the one that might have a lower absorption voltage might drop into float but the other will stay working until it decides it is time to drop into float. It is fine, just like a combination of solar and alternator charging.

• 1 month later...