Jabsco Macerator Pump 18590-2092

canute

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if you can run this pump in reverse (switch polarity)?

I Shall elaborate; 

These pumps fit the standard canal boat "Pump Out" port (1 1/2" pipe thread), thus it should be possible to extract black waste from the aforementioned port, through the pump and into, carry-away containers (for the sack of argument, we shall call these Cassettes), these cassettes can then be disposed of, via the chemical toilet, waste facilities. What's that got to do with running the pump in reverse I hear you ask? Well, once the cassette/s has been filled and you have turned off the pump, it will still contain black water residues, 'Phoooo', however if the pump can be run in reverse for a few seconds, clean water can be flushed through the pump and back into the boat, purging the nasties.

I have looked at the Jabsco 'exploded', parts; engineer drawing and it would appear that reversing the motor should not pose any detrimental effects on either the Cutter or the nitrile Impellor! If anyone has had actual experience of running this pump in reverse, either by design or through crossed wiring, I will be most grateful for any feedback as to whether this caused any adverse effects to the pump.

Regards,   

1 hour ago, canute said:

Does anyone know if you can run this pump in reverse (switch polarity)?

I Shall elaborate; 

These pumps fit the standard canal boat "Pump Out" port (1 1/2" pipe thread), thus it should be possible to extract black waste from the aforementioned port, through the pump and into, carry-away containers (for the sack of argument, we shall call these Cassettes), these cassettes can then be disposed of, via the chemical toilet, waste facilities. What's that got to do with running the pump in reverse I hear you ask? Well, once the cassette/s has been filled and you have turned off the pump, it will still contain black water residues, 'Phoooo', however if the pump can be run in reverse for a few seconds, clean water can be flushed through the pump and back into the boat, purging the nasties.

I have looked at the Jabsco 'exploded', parts; engineer drawing and it would appear that reversing the motor should not pose any detrimental effects on either the Cutter or the nitrile Impellor! If anyone has had actual experience of running this pump in reverse, either by design or through crossed wiring, I will be most grateful for any feedback as to whether this caused any adverse effects to the pump.

Regards,   

Interesting!

You will then have a 'pump in' toilet system.  😜

I don't think that the nitrile rubber impeller would like running the wrong way.

I flush mine by simply putting the inlet hose into the canal and pulling water through it followed by a bucket of water with Jeyes fluid in it to make it sweet.

Thanks for the replies so far, however perhaps my plans have not been made clear.

This pump already fits a pump-out's threaded fitting "without" modification, and so NO pick-up hose should be required, a small, lets say 600mm x 25mm outlet hose with elbow is all that is required to reach the container/s (Cassette/s), therefore if the pump can be run backwards all that will be require for flushing is a reversal of the polarity, the 600mm of hose and the pump it's self, more of a pump-out, rinse-in, no long lengths of suction or drain hose to deal with, no being careful not to spill excrement, no need to adapt inlet to match outlet and the associated inconvenience and mess of turning the pump around.

Just screw pump into outlet, have five gallon container/s to pump waste into, switch pump off when container/s are full, then drop outlet elbow into a half gallon of clean water in a bucket to flush the pump safely and cleanly back into the holding tank, 10+ gallons out to 1/2 gallon in, unscrew the pump and store.

Cold it be any simpler or smaller?

It merely comes down to can the pump be run/pump  backwards?

Regards, 

I think I'm right in saying that a brushed DC motor can run in either direction. If that is correct then, as has already been said, it  becomes a question of whether the actual pumping mechanism, impeller perhaps, will be happy running in either direction. See if you can find something that tells you how to change the impeller; if it says that you need to rotate the impeller when fitting - to suit the direction of rotation - then it is unlikely the pump will run backwards or, if it does, the impeller will fail early.

Permanent magnet Dc brush motors will reverse with reversed polarity.

If the impeller is the usual Jabsco rubber impeller  with the vanes bent away from the direction of rotation by the half moon insert in the pump body, then running it backwards will destroy it very quickly if the motor even has enough torque to run it against its normal direction.

Two L-port valves, two T-pieces and some connecting fittings would enable you to route the flow either way, but keep a unidirectional pump.  There would be no need to physically disconnect and turn it between pumping out and pumping in. 

Or perhaps even simpler, an L-port valve on the pump inlet only, so it can pump either from the holding tank or a bucket of water (or the canal) with all the outlet going into the carry-away containers.