Residual Plate Thickness

Ambull

Featured Posts

As Magnetman said, I'd be more concerned about pitting on the hull sides. If the survey shows they're ok then I'd have no problem buying it. Get a marine electrician in to check the electrics and make sure the GI is fitted properly and working. Possibly upgrade the GI. It could even be that previous owners were using mains appliances with high RFI output that forced a low spec GI into conduction over a few years leading to some galvanic corrosion.

My boat is from 2005 and has been regularly blacked but never had the baseplate painted. Last time it was out the water was 2015 when it was grit-blasted and epoxied. At that time there was just a bit of surface corrosion on the baseplate which brushed off by hand. It will be interesting to see what it's like when it next comes out. The epoxy is so damn good the sides won't need doing for a good few years yet.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

I certainly stopped drinking water once I saw what it did to the bottom of boats.   ?

Water is indeed dangerous. People drown in the damn stuff so I stick to beer.