Batteries

Maffi

Featured Posts

Last year I had to replace my batteries. I bought 4 nice new ones. So in order to ensure they went back exactly as they came out I took a photograph. As I looked at the pic I noticed I had 5 leisure batteries and had to buy one more.  Getting the old ones out was not easy, but putting the new ones in was even less easy, but I managed.  So I now have 5 nice new batteries that I am thinking will see me out now. The last set survived 14 years. If the new ones do as well I will be 84 by the time they need changing again. I am a bit pissed off with that because if I had not had a lady friend onboard for the summer I could have made them last 15 years!

5 X 110 AGM and before any one asks no I don't have any solar.

• Greenie 1

I'd be interested to compare situations with others that have similar set-ups with solar - For instance, your charging regime, how and how long? As opposed to someone with a solar panel or two?

A solar panel or two might go a fair way in reducing your recharge times - esp. in the Summer.

First, welcome back Maffi! Pleasure to see your name on the forum again

Second...

6 hours ago, Maffi said:

....because if I had not had a lady friend onboard for the summer I could have made them last 15 years!

I'm intrigued by the cause and effect - what fate befell your batteries as a result?! Lest I make the same mistake

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Second...

I'm intrigued by the cause and effect - what fate befell your batteries as a result?! Lest I make the same mistake

It would have been the hairdryer depleting them unduly.

I would be interested to know what brand and specification the long lived batteries were and what you chose as replacements.

In the same time frame, Alnwick, has managed to get through four sets of domestic batteries.

The first set that we purchased (to replace the HGV batteries that were on the boat when we got it) were Elecsol 115 Ah AGM Batteries very expensive and a big mistake!

After two of these failed prematurely and were replaced under guarantee, we changed to second-hand batteries purchased from a forum member at £25 each.

These were American made Delphi 105 Ah "stand-by" batteries that had previously been used to provide mains power via an inverter in windscreen repair vans.

These were more successful than the Elecsols and we purchased two sets of four. They lasted well until eventually replaced by some Bosch L4033 105 Ah (679) deep cycle batteries that, in appearance, were almost identical to the Delphi products.

Of all the batteries that we fitted - the £25 second-hand Delphi products were the best value for money and the Bosch replacements have proved to be good replacements.

16 hours ago, Maffi said:

Last year I had to replace my batteries. I bought 4 nice new ones. So in order to ensure they went back exactly as they came out I took a photograph. As I looked at the pic I noticed I had 5 leisure batteries and had to buy one more.  Getting the old ones out was not easy, but putting the new ones in was even less easy, but I managed.  So I now have 5 nice new batteries that I am thinking will see me out now. The last set survived 14 years. If the new ones do as well I will be 84 by the time they need changing again. I am a bit pissed off with that because if I had not had a lady friend onboard for the summer I could have made them last 15 years!

5 X 110 AGM and before any one asks no I don't have any solar.

As a ccer you don't need solar. We don't have solar as we are plugged in at mooring at present. When not plugged in we cc like you so moving daily keeps the batteries charged. Solar is needed if moored for long periods without leccy hook up but you knew that didn't you Mafflet old boy ?

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

As a ccer you don't need solar. We don't have solar as we are plugged in at mooring at present. When not plugged in we cc like you so moving daily keeps the batteries charged. Solar is needed if moored for long periods without leccy hook up but you knew that didn't you Mafflet old boy ?

I have to say whilst I move a fair bit when out in the summer it was nice last year to tie up for a couple of days and not worry about charging now I've got solar fitted. I didn't want to  look like a floating solar farm and as Im on a hook up when I'm on the home mooring it works well for me.

On 18/02/2021 at 06:56, magpie patrick said:

Second...

There is no fate involved. Its just if I was on my own I would have accepted the DVD player just shutting off mid film, and the toaster taking ages to pop up, you know little things that we can deal with but our ladies may have a bit of trouble. When I told her a 2200 watt hair drier was a no no I thought she was going to explode! Well I mean It would only take 9 such hair driers to power the Falkirk wheel!

On 18/02/2021 at 16:48, mrsmelly said:

I most certainly did know that sir!

On 18/02/2021 at 09:45, NB Alnwick said:

I would be interested to know what brand and specification the long lived batteries were and what you chose as replacements.

In the same time frame, Alnwick, has managed to get through four sets of domestic batteries.

The first set that we purchased (to replace the HGV batteries that were on the boat when we got it) were Elecsol 115 Ah AGM Batteries very expensive and a big mistake!

After two of these failed prematurely and were replaced under guarantee, we changed to second-hand batteries purchased from a forum member at £25 each.

These were American made Delphi 105 Ah "stand-by" batteries that had previously been used to provide mains power via an inverter in windscreen repair vans.

These were more successful than the Elecsols and we purchased two sets of four. They lasted well until eventually replaced by some Bosch L4033 105 Ah (679) deep cycle batteries that, in appearance, were almost identical to the Delphi products.

Of all the batteries that we fitted - the £25 second-hand Delphi products were the best value for money and the Bosch replacements have proved to be good replacements.

I will be up your way soon we will have a chat about my batteries.

On 18/02/2021 at 06:29, alistair1537 said:

I'd be interested to compare situations with others that have similar set-ups with solar - For instance, your charging regime, how and how long? As opposed to someone with a solar panel or two?

A solar panel or two might go a fair way in reducing your recharge times - esp. in the Summer.

I normally CC so dont have a problem with 'charging regimes'.

• Greenie 1