Advice for a would-be liveaboard

Mikesp

Featured Posts

On 21/01/2021 at 19:46, Mikesp said:

Hi all.

I've come to the oracle for some initial help

I've been thinking about living on a boat for a long time and hope to make it a reality asap. I would dearly love to live on a widebeam but I will be single-handed. This will make locking a laborious task I'm  thinking. Is there anyone on here that may be in the same position as I hope to be, that could provide advice on this.

Thanks in advance

Mike

If you are 67, new to the canals and single handed then a narrowboat would make much more sense and be perfectly adequate. The big disadvantage of a narrow is getting in each others way at the pinch points which is not a problem if you are single. A huge advantage of a narrow is sharing locks on a wide canal which can be a very big part of canal social life. Big heavy boats can be a bit of a handful when roping through locks etc.

.................Dave

1 hour ago, alistair1537 said:

Every time you fall down, bump into things, knock stuff over, you can shout at Bill Gates like a demented Tourette's sufferer... 

I have come to the conclusion that they were all right and there is a micro chip in the vaccine. How else would they know how many people have been vaccinated every day, I am sure the Government couldn't collate those figures in 24 hours, it must all be automatically tracked on a central computer somewhere.

• Horror 1

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have come to the conclusion that they were all right and there is a micro chip in the vaccine. How else would they know how many people have been vaccinated every day, I am sure the Government couldn't collate those figures in 24 hours, it must all be automatically tracked on a central computer somewhere.

I doubt it, the Excel 2007 would have crashed by now.

• Haha 2

I will say this;

I have been on and off various boats since I was 8,  after some narrowboats I bought a 60ft barge when I was 50 managed well enough with two of us and single handed but decided at 60 to sell and downsize to a 60ft narrowboat which I still have. I am now 68, would I take on another barge  on the canal system?  The answer is no, way too difficult compared to how it used to be and way too much hard work. 

• Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...