Any recommendations on a new stove

Lisa009

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Better than most but not as good as the Country 6

The C4 looks to be a very different beast to the Country 4, having looked at the exploded diagrams the fuel retainer looks bigger on the Country. 

I wouldn't have a back boiler on a stove, tried it once with a Morso, didnt like it.

Why don't you like back boilers? They work very well for some boaters? I would think that a well thought out and controllable system could be a good thing?

............Dave

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, dmr said:

Why don't you like back boilers? They work very well for some boaters? I would think that a well thought out and controllable system could be a good thing?

............Dave

Tried a gravity fed one off a squirel with one rad and a calorifier, all piped correctly in 28mm pipe and couldn't get much heat unless I ran the stove way to high for the living area.

Fitted a Mikuni instead, driving 3 rads and calorifier, more vesatile and could always be used alone if the stove broke and for warming the boat before I arrived ;)

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Tried a gravity fed one off a squirel with one rad and a calorifier, all piped correctly in 28mm pipe and couldn't get much heat unless I ran the stove way to high for the living area.

Fitted a Mikuni instead, driving 3 rads and calorifier, more vesatile and could always be used alone if the stove broke and for warming the boat before I arrived ;)

Correction to previous post, I usually do the last stove banking, my wife reckons if she did it she could just about get 12 hours from the C4 ?

Convection systems can be difficult (I had a really difficult one in my last house with long horizontal pipe runs under the floorboards). I think on a boat smaller bore pipes and a good little pump are the way to go, even though this makes the system dependent on electricity. I think I would even attempt to do a little microcontroller, could have something like a bare minimum pump run just to stop the boiler overheating (to help keep stove in overnight), then various stages of flow to radiators in the daytime etc. I propose that good flow control is the thing to get right.

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Correction to previous post, I usually do the last stove banking, my wife reckons if she did it she could just about get 12 hours from the C4 ?

Convection systems can be difficult (I had a really difficult one in my last house with long horizontal pipe runs under the floorboards). I think on a boat smaller bore pipes and a good little pump are the way to go, even though this makes the system dependent on electricity. I think I would even attempt to do a little microcontroller, could have something like a bare minimum pump run just to stop the boiler overheating (to help keep stove in overnight), then various stages of flow to radiators in the daytime etc. I propose that good flow control is the thing to get right.

.............Dave

I have in my junk box a device based on a 555 timer, it either runs as normal or pulses the 12v so as to reduce the pump run  so that the system doesn't boil but still works. Never got round to fitting the pump or the device and went straight to the Mikuni.

I have a Rayburn royal on board with a bigger backboiler, its over 10kw with room heat and radiators, most of the time it just ticks over and the rads are just warm, when cooking they get hot and that keeps the boat nice for the rest of the night. In the bedroom [its a very large room double bed and three seater reclining settee] there is a 5 kw oil fired bubble stove with backboiler, when its very cold I will light this as well in the evenings. As a backup it has a 5 kw whispergen which heat the rads up to to hot to touch, my boat is a 57 x12 with wheelhouse so its only a bit bigger than yours. My advice is listen to the people that have had big boats, you can always put less fuel on it!

As an afterthought the rayburn can do between 24-36 hours just ticking over

25 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

My vote is for Clearview but they aren't cheap. 

Question to Smelly. If you get a 15Kw stove do you have to retreat when it is going full chat? I've got 8Kw in the house and it can get pretty warm.

he likes to have the windows open

On 03/01/2021 at 15:54, Athy said:

That is super. With the oven, it's virtually a mini-range.

Hi we have decided to order one of these stoves thanks for the recommendation can I ask do you have a roof collar with yours I.e something that holds the flue in place through the ceiling and roof ?  

4 hours ago, Lisa009 said:

Hi we have decided to order one of these stoves thanks for the recommendation can I ask do you have a roof collar with yours I.e something that holds the flue in place through the ceiling and roof ?  

Hello, If you mean you are buying the Chilli Penguin the guys that supply will also fit and they are very helpful. I do have a collar at the roof exit and Ive never had a problem with it.  

I note that in your other thread Tony has provided an image of a similar roof collar.

.... and yes Ive lost the chimney a couple of times  but preferable to damaging and having to replace the whole length.

collar.jpg

Edited by Chagall
took out extraneous information