Right. Silly question time......

Soozie

Featured Posts

Is this gas fitting in the gas locker already capped or is this what they look like? Have boat saftey coming up amd not yet using gas as I dont live aboard yet ( hence im clueless as to what a open connection would look like). Grateful to all who can help with my conundrum, ibviously all banter accepted as I shpuld probably know this... ??

IMG_20201004_144844.jpg

That looks like a through-bulkhead fitting sitting waiting for the gas locker piping to be installed to it. It doesn’t appear to be capped, no. 

Is that a hole, top right?  If so it’ll need attending to when you do plumb in the gas. 

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That looks like a through-bulkhead fitting sitting waiting for the gas locker piping to be installed to it. It doesn’t appear to be capped, no. 

Is that a hole, top right?  If so it’ll need attending to when you do plumb in the gas. 

Thankyou. So in terms of BSS. im not using gas, theres no gas appliances on the boat, the two fitter points on the gas pipes the previous owner installed have been capped, will it go through like this or do I need to do something else? 

On the hole, good spot, not sure will need another look. It does look a bit like a hole with foam filler in it, or it could be spider eggs ( lots of yellow clumps in the gas locker). Will I have to get it welded if its a hole? 

2 minutes ago, Soozie said:

Will I have to get it welded if its a hole? 

Oh, if only anything in the BSS were so cut and dried... Certainly, welding it would be perfect. Putting a nut and bolt through it along with sealant would be satisfactory according to Rob at the BSS, but some examiners will argue the point. If it's above the height of the gas bottles and any other connections then it doesn't matter anyway, but again, some inspectors might argue the point.

5 minutes ago, Soozie said:

So in terms of BSS. im not using gas, theres no gas appliances on the boat, the two fitter points on the gas pipes the previous owner installed have been capped, will it go through like this or do I need to do something else? 

I see no reason why it shouldn't pass.  It is effectively a gas-free boat. 

It would still be a good idea to find something to plug that pipe, even if it's a wedge of wood, simply to prevent any spiders from setting up camp.

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Oh, if only anything in the BSS were so cut and dried... Certainly, welding it would be perfect. Putting a nut and bolt through it along with sealant would be satisfactory according to Rob at the BSS, but some examiners will argue the point. If it's above the height of the gas bottles and any other connections then it doesn't matter anyway, but again, some inspectors might argue the point.

I see no reason why it shouldn't pass.  It is effectively a gas-free boat. 

It would still be a good idea to find something to plug that pipe, even if it's a wedge of wood, simply to prevent any spiders from setting up camp.

Thankyou. Ok. Im going to run with leaving as is and letting inspector look and see. He made a real fuss about the fact there was gas pipes and no gas when I rung him, and originally told me the boat will need a gas safe cert to pass. With how covids whacked my budget I could do without getting a gas safe cert for a gas free boat. But I dont want to remove the pipingas the previous owner had had it instaled ready for using gas. ?‍♀️. Gorrila tape should guard on as spidees afterinspection do you think? 

2 minutes ago, Soozie said:

Thankyou. Ok. Im going to run with leaving as is and letting inspector look and see. He made a real fuss about the fact there was gas pipes and no gas when I rung him, and originally told me the boat will need a gas safe cert to pass. With how covids whacked my budget I could do without getting a gas safe cert for a gas free boat. But I dont want to remove the pipingas the previous owner had had it instaled ready for using gas. ?‍♀️. Gorrila tape should guard on as spidees afterinspection do you think? 

Tell him you like the look of brass pipes and have some fitted as ornaments in the boat.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Soozie said:

People do like that industrial look. Its very now. 

Yeah and if you paint the bulkheads white and fit a composting bog with a purple cabin exterior you will be top dollar :D

Edited by mrsmelly

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Yeah and if you paint the bulkheads white and fit a composting bog with a purple exterior you will be top dollar :D can sell it for a fortune in Lunnen.

Fixed that for you ;)

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Fixed that for you ;)

Theres an old 69 footer on ebay for 56k for sale in London as we speak I looked an hour ago. Its 30 grands worth but it does make me wonder if they sell in London for such daft prices??

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah and if you paint the bulkheads white and fit a composting bog with a purple cabin exterior you will be top dollar :D

Chuckling at this because we currently have a composting loo onboard ??. Got a simploo as theres no bathroom fitted yet and im a bit of a hippy. Is the purple exterior and white bulkheads an unwritten boat fitting law ????.. Like everyone seens to make their houses grey and silver now ??

• Happy 1