Built-in Generators

Aprilia

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I completely agree, and in my situation Electric is just not practical, the 'problem' that we have is that by 2050 ALL boats on UK waters (inland and territorial waters) MUST be zero emission, and, as it currently stands that means that all our diesel engined boats will be banned from use, the only options will be :

1) Zero emission engine (power source to be determined - Hydrogen, Methane, E-Diesel etc)

2) Electric drive with batteries charged by a diesel generator.

From 2035 ALL new boats built for use in UK waters MUST be zero-emission propulsion.

It is ridiculous but it seems it is only the final drive (propulsion) that is targeted & it will be quite legal to use a diesel generator.

I guess, being realistic, by 2050 it will be of no concern to me, I'll either be sitting talking to Cpt. Nemo and Davy Jones, or I'll be sitting in the corner 'dribbling' mumbling about the good old days

Exactly. I'll probably be dead by 2050, so the third option is do do nothing and if my boat is still alive then someone else can take the knackered engine out and install the latest technology, which one would hope by then wouldn't be a diesel generator.

This is all assuming aliens haven't invaded or new viruses haven't wiped out life on earth as we know it. ? 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I completely agree, and in my situation Electric is just not practical, the 'problem' that we have is that by 2050 ALL boats on UK waters (inland and territorial waters) MUST be zero emission, and, as it currently stands that means that all our diesel engined boats will be banned from use, the only options will be :

1) Zero emission engine (power source to be determined - Hydrogen, Methane, E-Diesel etc)

From 2035 ALL new boats built for use in UK waters MUST be zero-emission propulsion.

It is ridiculous but it seems it is only the final drive (propulsion) that is targeted & it will be quite legal to use a diesel generator.

I guess, being realistic, by 2050 it will be of no concern to me, I'll either be sitting talking to Cpt. Nemo and Davy Jones, or I'll be sitting in the corner 'dribbling' mumbling about the good old days

Precisely why I dont give too hoots as I will be dead. Same reason I will only ever need my proper ice car and never have to buy lectric stuff as by the time everything has gone that way I will be dead or finished driving anyway. 

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

2050. Wow ? Let’s worry about that if and when we get through today’s problems (plus I’ll be dead!) 

5 minutes ago, Chris John said:

2050. Wow ? Let’s worry about that if and when we get through today’s problems (plus I’ll be dead!) 

Quite, but remember there are a lot of boaters (not just the 30,000 old fogies on the canals - there are 300,000 leisure boats in the UK) that are currently in their 20's and 30's who it will affect.

1 minute ago, jetzi said:

There's a lot of general pessimism on the forum about whether the waterways are being maintained well enough to last that long.

I am one of those, every year the bottom is getting closer to the top, locks become very difficult to open, paddles break with regular monotony, breaches, and general lack of maintenance.

I resent each year paying more and more and getting less and less in return.

Hence, I've given up on the canals and moved back to sea.

• Greenie 1