Invisable 14 day moorings

moggyjo

Featured Posts

Is every stretch of the towpath, that is not a mooring of some discription a 14 day mooring? people round here are told they are on a 14 day mooring but there are no signs to say so.

Yes

The 'rules' say that the maximum mooring time aloud is fourteen days unless a sign says differently.

Tell me if this is true or not. If you moor offside and do not disturb or cut down any of the foilage around, you can stay an indeterminte amount of time?

Maybe because if you don't disturb or cut down any of the foilage around the farmer who's land it is might not notice you!

Tell me if this is true or not. If you moor offside and do not disturb or cut down any of the foilage around, you can stay an indeterminte amount of time?

Not true, even if the land is private (mooring permission required and the appropriate fee paid to BW it's there water)

If the land is owned by BW then the fourteen day rule applies.

Note for CarlT, when I say 'BW own' I mean us. :D

Edit: will people stop posting whilst I am typing :D

Edited by bottle

Interestingly (or not, you decide) I was ccing a few years back and had pitched up on some unoccupied long term moorings intending to pause a couple of days then press on to dry dock. One of the locals immediately arrived telling us we couldn't moor there as they were LT, not permanent moorings.

When he'd finished his little rant we told him to talk to BW about it because we'd be gone by the time they came to investigate anyway.

We were wrong. The whitecap arrived lunchtime, the next day to tell us that any unoccupied long term moorings reverted to 14 day moorings, for anyone to use, and the 'victor' had been told we were committing no crime.

Smug? Oh yes, two weeks of mega smug.

Amazingly, considering the demand for moorings these days, the long term moorings were changed to visitor moorings soon after because nobody took them up.

Interestingly (or not, you decide) I was ccing a few years back and had pitched up on some unoccupied long term moorings intending to pause a couple of days then press on to dry dock. One of the locals immediately arrived telling us we couldn't moor there as they were LT, not permanent moorings.

When he'd finished his little rant we told him to talk to BW about it because we'd be gone by the time they came to investigate anyway.

We were wrong. The whitecap arrived lunchtime, the next day to tell us that any unoccupied long term moorings reverted to 14 day moorings, for anyone to use, and the 'victor' had been told we were committing no crime.

Smug? Oh yes, two weeks of mega smug.

Amazingly, considering the demand for moorings these days, the long term moorings were changed to visitor moorings soon after because nobody took them up.

Interesting! - does "unoccupied" mean the normal moorers are away, or that the mooring is currently unlet?

Interesting! - does "unoccupied" mean the normal moorers are away, or that the mooring is currently unlet?

I'm not sure. The mooring I was on was unlet.

Interestingly there was an 'engineer' accompanying the whitecap who threatened to throw us off the moorings because we'd damaged the towpath with mooring pins when brand new rings had been installed. We pointed out (whilst Sue, the patrol officer walked away to hide her laughter) that if he could offer an 'engineering' solution to tying 72' boats to rings 60' apart, we'd happily oblige.

The whitecap arrived lunchtime, the next day to tell us that any unoccupied long term moorings reverted to 14 day moorings, for anyone to use,

I don't understand - how would one know if they were occupied or not? The occupiers may have just gone for short cruise or a pump out and be a bit miffed to find a CCer on their mooring when they got back.

I actually had the opposite experience in Cowley. I was on my way to Uxbridge for drydocking about a year ago and passed about a 100 yard stretch of empty long-term moorings on the towpath side. I stopped at the end of the LT moorings where signs clearly showed where the LT moorings ended and visitor moorings began. As I was only stopping for the night I was disappointed to see that the mooring rings also ended where the visitor moorings began, but a bloke on another boat moored nearby told me that the LT mooring were unoccupied, that visitors regularly used the rings and he advised me to do the same.

Interestingly (or not) one of the long term moorers in Braunston was out cruising during the summer and had put a sign up on their mooring inviting people to use the space while they were away. A nice gesture, I thought, particularly in such a busy and popular place.

I don't understand - how would one know if they were occupied or not? The occupiers may have just gone for short cruise or a pump out and be a bit miffed to find a CCer on their mooring when they got back.

I actually had the opposite experience in Cowley. I was on my way to Uxbridge for drydocking about a year ago and passed about a 100 yard stretch of empty long-term moorings on the towpath side. I stopped at the end of the LT moorings where signs clearly showed where the LT moorings ended and visitor moorings began. As I was only stopping for the night I was disappointed to see that the mooring rings also ended where the visitor moorings began, but a bloke on another boat moored nearby told me that the LT mooring were unoccupied, that visitors regularly used the rings and he advised me to do the same.

First of all there was one boat on at least 100 yards of ringed lt moorings, we didn't expect all the moorers to return at once.

Secondly you are not rented a specific spot on a mooring but a certain length anywhere along that stretch.

Thirdly, if there had been a sudden influx of permit holders, we would have moved.

If people put pot plants and other territorial markers out, then I would respect that territory. If not then it is just a length of mooring.

Honest, I don't want to start an argument, really.

Does that go for 48hr visitor moorings too?

No, if there were pot plants left on a 48hr mooring (without a boat present), I'd moor up and move them, if they were in the way and water them, if they were looking a bit thirsty.

The rules are quite strightforward, you cannot moor on unoccuopied Peritted Moorings if the Pemit holder's boat is away, without their permission, and the signs posted by BW make that clear stating "Permit Holders Only".

The Mooring Permit General Conditions state that the mooring agreement is personal to the person paying the fee, and that person can permit other boats to use the mooring for short periods but only with BW's permission. Having said that many permitted moorers do posts signs inviting other boats to use the mooring whilst they are away, and the BW bank side Staff seem to allow this without requiring the official permission.

The regulations do not discriminate between unlet permitted mooring and occupied moorings, however I understand the local wardens are allowed to use their discression to permit short term use of unlet moorings by visiting boats.

And when the "Resident" returns and says "Oi!"? and his mates come out of the neigbouring boats and say "Yes, Oi!"

If this is a hypothetical, then I would doubt it would happen, but if it did I'd point out that it was a 48 hour mooring and I'd gladly assist them loading their plants back onto their boat.