Tectite push fit

volmaakt

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, volmaakt said:

Hello. Has anyone used or heard of tectite push fit copper fittings being used for a central heating system? They have an upper limit of 114 degrees and the man on the phone said they were suitable for solid fuel systems. Thanks.

I've used the odd tectite in awkward places without issue, but only their top end range is demountable. Made by the reputable Pegler iirc.  If it's for the boat though, I'd be looking to use plastic.

54 minutes ago, volmaakt said:

It is for an open vented solid fuel system on my boat. I think most of my system will be in copper but some may be hep, are they compatible?

Yes, easy to connect copper to plastic and vice versa. Have a look at Hep2o or JGSpeedfit bits at their websites or Screwfix, Toolstation, etc. Plastic is good because it handles vibration and freezing temperatures better, but lots of boats are in copper and you can get central heating inhibitor with antifreeze. 

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

I would be reluctant to use any push fit fittings on a solid fuel heating system, or even a vapourising oil fire, as they rely on synthetic 'O' rings to seal. Compression fittings with copper olives every time.

I would have agreed completely at one time but I have found them perfectly satisfactory, Hep2O, Tectite, and JG Speedfit.

Being an oldie, I take a bit of convincing about new ideas but they have been around for a long time now.  I have found more weeps on compression fittings than push fit over recent years.

I have done some huge industrial heating jobs with Hep2O, we were agents for them, and have complete faith in them.

I am going to be having a split system. Planning on 28mm copper feed in both directions with 22mm returns in hep. 15mm up to header tank? I “found” a  ”discarded” rectangular stainless steel  urn at work which I have cut to size around which I am going to build a u shaped towel storage unit and it will have a nice heated stainless steel mirror in the middle. TD, you did suggest to get inventive.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, volmaakt said:

I “found” a  ”discarded” rectangular stainless steel  urn at work which I have cut to size around which I am going to build a u shaped towel storage unit and it will have a nice heated stainless steel mirror in the middle. TD, you did suggest to get inventive.

Pictures please, that sounds interesting.