Jump to content

Looking for a nice canal boat!


Featured Posts

Hi, hello to everybody.

 

A bit of my background first so you know where I am coming from. I know a lot about boats but not canal boats!

 

Ive had sea going boats for 30+ years.  37’ yacht sailing the seas.  Been power boating 36’ 40 knot cruiser. Sold the boats and bought a Motorhome and been touring for the last 3 years.  
 

Favourite spots have always been near canals.

 

So now selling the MH and would like to tour the canal system.

 

Boat I’m looking for is not live aboard but suitable for extended cruising.

 

likely to be based on the K&A, 2 people and a dog.

 

Been looking at semi trad narrow boats, (somewhere to sit outside on bow and stern).

 

I would like to know the quality build and well known builders, popular and easy to sell.

 

Really helpful brokers to help me find a nice boat, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a narrow boat, I will consider any boat that offers some comfort!

 

Ive spent time searching on Appolloduck, but I really don’t know what is quality and what to avoid.

Something in the region of £60k max.

 

all tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated!
regards

 Cliff

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome from another "Lumpy-Water" boater (currently one on the North Wales coast and one in Plymouth.

 

If you are looking at the K&A the most difficult thing will not be buying a boat, but finding a mooring, much of the area (the Western end)has become a series of 'floating flats' for people wanting cheap housing. 

It is the most enforced area (after London) for non compliance with the movement rules.

 

It may help you decide on what boat type / length to have if you can find a mooring first.

 

Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CliffDale said:

Hi, hello to everybody.

 

A bit of my background first so you know where I am coming from. I know a lot about boats but not canal boats!

 

Ive had sea going boats for 30+ years.  37’ yacht sailing the seas.  Been power boating 36’ 40 knot cruiser. Sold the boats and bought a Motorhome and been touring for the last 3 years.  
 

Favourite spots have always been near canals.

 

So now selling the MH and would like to tour the canal system.

 

Boat I’m looking for is not live aboard but suitable for extended cruising.

 

likely to be based on the K&A, 2 people and a dog.

 

Been looking at semi trad narrow boats, (somewhere to sit outside on bow and stern).

 

I would like to know the quality build and well known builders, popular and easy to sell.

 

Really helpful brokers to help me find a nice boat, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a narrow boat, I will consider any boat that offers some comfort!

 

Ive spent time searching on Appolloduck, but I really don’t know what is quality and what to avoid.

Something in the region of £60k max.

 

all tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated!
regards

 Cliff

If you are not intending to live aboard, then perhaps try visiting all the marinas along the K&A and seeing what they have for sale. The marina owners may be more amenable to renting you a mooring if you buy from them too.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Edited by Stilllearning
Link to post
Share on other sites

ABNB (Andy Burnett Narrow Boats, though Andy has now retired) have a reputation as honest brokers who sell honest boats. We have used them and were very satisfied with their service.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

K&A? Keep the MH, there are no boat spaces!

 

Sounds like the OP doesn't want to live aboard, so should get away with a leisure mooring......are these very hard to find on the K & A too?

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, booke23 said:

 

Sounds like the OP doesn't want to live aboard, so should get away with a leisure mooring......are these very hard to find on the K & A too?

  

Yes, that’s right, for cruising not live aboard. We live in Cornwall hence my suggestion of the K&A.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CliffDale said:

Yes, that’s right, for cruising not live aboard. We live in Cornwall hence my suggestion of the K&A.

 

Cornwall......maybe you could also consider mooring on the Gloucester and Sharpness (near Gloucester), or on the River Severn north of Gloucester.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Somerset Coal Canal.:giggles:

A good idea. A senior figure in the Somersetshire Coal Canal Society is a regular here and should know whether moorings are available.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly a good friend of mine hired a nb from a marina down the western end of the K&A.  Loved it but said never again due to the lack of mooring spaces as a result of all the flats (boats) moored in anything like an accessible spot.  He was gob smacked at their condition and surprised that some even float😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.