Looking for a nice canal boat!

CliffDale

Featured Posts

Hi, hello to everybody.

A bit of my background first so you know where I am coming from. I know a lot about boats but not canal boats!

Ive had sea going boats for 30+ years.  37’ yacht sailing the seas.  Been power boating 36’ 40 knot cruiser. Sold the boats and bought a Motorhome and been touring for the last 3 years.  

Favourite spots have always been near canals.

So now selling the MH and would like to tour the canal system.

Boat I’m looking for is not live aboard but suitable for extended cruising.

likely to be based on the K&A, 2 people and a dog.

Been looking at semi trad narrow boats, (somewhere to sit outside on bow and stern).

I would like to know the quality build and well known builders, popular and easy to sell.

Really helpful brokers to help me find a nice boat, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a narrow boat, I will consider any boat that offers some comfort!

Ive spent time searching on Appolloduck, but I really don’t know what is quality and what to avoid.

Something in the region of £60k max.

all tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated!
regards

Cliff

Welcome from another "Lumpy-Water" boater (currently one on the North Wales coast and one in Plymouth.

If you are looking at the K&A the most difficult thing will not be buying a boat, but finding a mooring, much of the area (the Western end)has become a series of 'floating flats' for people wanting cheap housing. 

It is the most enforced area (after London) for non compliance with the movement rules.

It may help you decide on what boat type / length to have if you can find a mooring first.

Good luck.

28 minutes ago, CliffDale said:

Hi, hello to everybody.

A bit of my background first so you know where I am coming from. I know a lot about boats but not canal boats!

Ive had sea going boats for 30+ years.  37’ yacht sailing the seas.  Been power boating 36’ 40 knot cruiser. Sold the boats and bought a Motorhome and been touring for the last 3 years.  

Favourite spots have always been near canals.

So now selling the MH and would like to tour the canal system.

Boat I’m looking for is not live aboard but suitable for extended cruising.

likely to be based on the K&A, 2 people and a dog.

Been looking at semi trad narrow boats, (somewhere to sit outside on bow and stern).

I would like to know the quality build and well known builders, popular and easy to sell.

Really helpful brokers to help me find a nice boat, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a narrow boat, I will consider any boat that offers some comfort!

Ive spent time searching on Appolloduck, but I really don’t know what is quality and what to avoid.

Something in the region of £60k max.

all tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated!
regards

Cliff

If you are not intending to live aboard, then perhaps try visiting all the marinas along the K&A and seeing what they have for sale. The marina owners may be more amenable to renting you a mooring if you buy from them too.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Edited by Stilllearning

ABNB (Andy Burnett Narrow Boats, though Andy has now retired) have a reputation as honest brokers who sell honest boats. We have used them and were very satisfied with their service.

11 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Sounds like the OP doesn't want to live aboard, so should get away with a leisure mooring......are these very hard to find on the K & A too?

Yes. Its dosser drain or fancy price marinas down there.

12 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Sounds like the OP doesn't want to live aboard, so should get away with a leisure mooring......are these very hard to find on the K & A too?

Yes, that’s right, for cruising not live aboard. We live in Cornwall hence my suggestion of the K&A.

3 minutes ago, CliffDale said:

Yes, that’s right, for cruising not live aboard. We live in Cornwall hence my suggestion of the K&A.

Cornwall......maybe you could also consider mooring on the Gloucester and Sharpness (near Gloucester), or on the River Severn north of Gloucester.   

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Somerset Coal Canal.:giggles:

A good idea. A senior figure in the Somersetshire Coal Canal Society is a regular here and should know whether moorings are available.

Sadly a good friend of mine hired a nb from a marina down the western end of the K&A.  Loved it but said never again due to the lack of mooring spaces as a result of all the flats (boats) moored in anything like an accessible spot.  He was gob smacked at their condition and surprised that some even float?