Engine temperature

Jacq

Featured Posts

My HRW 3 runs at 65 degrees centigrade, The exhaust chimney is fairly sooty, The header tank is not pressurised (vented to air)

Do you think its getting up to the correct temperature ?

Hi Jacq.

It certainly sound like it is running a bit too cool, tell us a bit more about your engine, as you mention an exhaust chimney I assume it is keel cooled, is there a thermostat, from what point are you measuring the temperature.

I will defer to those with greater knowledge but I do not think he running temperature is the cause of the sooty exhaust.

I suspect it is more to do with the fuel mix. (air/fuel ratio)

Maybe true in a sense, poor combustion due to less than perfect injectors, or possibly lubricating oil being burned in the cylinders.

Is the exhaust noticeably smoky? blue for oil, dark grey/black for poor combustion.

My HR/W book says the operating temp should be between 75 & 90 C. The lower temp might make a small difference to the exhaust, a bigger difference to things like oil sludging.

Tim

My HRW 3 runs at 65 degrees centigrade, The exhaust chimney is fairly sooty, The header tank is not pressurised (vented to air)

Hi,

If it runs at 65c under way, either the thermostat or temp. gauge may be defective. If it's always done this since you've had the boat the thermostat may well even be missing.

If you can get hold of an infra red (IR) or thermocouple thermometer this can be used to check the thermostat and gauge sender in situ.

The thermostat can also be tested by slowly heating in a pan of water with a cooking thermometer.

If you post a few pics of the engine, I'm sure someone can point out the relevant bits.

cheers,

Pete.

The hotter the engine runs, the more efficient it is and the better the combustion process. With modern oils that do not breakdown at high tempertures and loads, the limiting factor is water pressure the cooling system can run at to stop the coolant boiling

The HRW3 is very gutsy engine and for most canal use would be fairly lightly loaded.

You need to check your temperature regulating system (thermostat or by-pass system). The operating temperature should be no lower than 80 deg C at light loads and going up to 90 deg under higher loads.

As your system is not pressurised, I would not run it any higher than 90 deg C.

Running a diesel 'under temperature' does not do it a lot of good. It does result in poor combustion, sooting etc. In the fullness of time it can lead to the sludging of oil ways.

Find some deep water and give it a blow out!

My Beta 43 apparently runs at 62-65deg with no problems. I investigated really thoroughly and asked advice and in the end we traced it to the fact that the engine coolant travelled to a radiator before it went throught the thermostat. Easy really but it took quite while to resolve the puzzle. My set-up was devised to allow for (relatively) high load cruising on rivers in winter. I have to say that I was totally foxed as all I do is light cruising on canals! Do check the route of your coolant and the placement of your thermostat.

Good luck, Jill

My Beta 43 apparently runs at 62-65deg with no problems. I investigated really thoroughly and asked advice and in the end we traced it to the fact that the engine coolant travelled to a radiator before it went throught the thermostat. Easy really but it took quite while to resolve the puzzle. My set-up was devised to allow for (relatively) high load cruising on rivers in winter. I have to say that I was totally foxed as all I do is light cruising on canals! Do check the route of your coolant and the placement of your thermostat.

Good luck, Jill

Now there's food for thought.

c024.gif

Engines run at the temperature of the thermostat. (If fitted)

If the engine does not reach the set temperature, the thermostat does not open therefore the water does not flow through the cooling circuit.

65 Deg is the correct running temperature for a Marine RAW WATER COOLED HRW3 this temp was ordained by those who knew things at Lister's to avoid calcification of salt water in and around the Heat Exchanger

A HRW3 on a Keel Cooled system would typically be run with either a 74 or 88 Deg Thermostat depending on if you have a calorifier fitted and how hot you wanted that water to be.

The engine itself will run happily at either of the higher temps

The HRW3 in our boat we sold was fitted with an 74 Deg 'stat and did not run with a sooty exhaust

Chris

Marine Engine Services

Lister Petter Marinisers, Spares and Advice

Edited cos I cannot spell !

Edited by Baldock

Engines run at the temperature of the thermostat. (If fitted)

If the engine does not reach the set temperature, the thermostat does not open therefore the water does not flow through the cooling circuit.

Yes, Keith, You're quite right - I should have typed temperature gauge not thermostat. (It was late!)

Jill