Bowman 70mm end cap

Terryb

Featured Posts

Hello everyone, It's been an age since I felt the need to be insulted so I'm back. This time it's about the Bowman header Tank end caps. I'm not sure of the part number, but it is not the Bulb type ( I think 3419) it is the Flat blank of 70mm. I resorted to having to accept a bulb replacement in the past, sadly, as it fouled the alternator I think that the strain of this restriction has brought about it's demise.

Has anyone got another solution to blanking off the end of the header tank. The engine is a Mitsubishi ( I think Vetus also ) but its,the Thorneycroft marinised Mitsubishi S4L2.

All replies are welcome, help me out here.

11 minutes ago, Terryb said:

Hello everyone, It's been an age since I felt the need to be insulted so I'm back. This time it's about the Bowman header Tank end caps. I'm not sure of the part number, but it is not the Bulb type ( I think 3419) it is the Flat blank of 70mm. I resorted to having to accept a bulb replacement in the past, sadly, as it fouled the alternator I think that the strain of this restriction has brought about it's demise.

Has anyone got another solution to blanking off the end of the header tank. The engine is a Mitsubishi ( I think Vetus also ) but its,the Thorneycroft marinised Mitsubishi S4L2.

All replies are welcome, help me out here.

See ASAP at   https://www.asap-supplies.com/exhaust/heat-exchangers-exhaust-manifolds/replacement-end-caps   All types of Bowman caps. They do mail order.

TD'

29 minutes ago, Terryb said:

Polar A3-703 Keel Cooled Manifold Blank End Cap (72mm ID)

Yeah I have seen that, but Polar is a cheap copy at twice the price of Bowman. I think I would rather hammer a piece of wood in there than pay £35 for their product.

That's Polar, I thought you wanted a Bowman?  They are not the same.

£18.17 Incl VAT
Save £0.96 (5.0%

Yeah thanks Tony. It is whats known as a "Maniheader" I was thinking that. 

But the shame is after having the cylhead off recently, I should have thought about it then. But I'd like to just keep moving for now. 

If you can't find a rubber cap that is short enough then how about cutting a couple of short lengths of 79mm hose plus two 12mm + plywood disks to fit into the hose held in place by hose clips. I think that would be easier than banging a wooden plug into each end. I fear that could split the alloy.

8 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That's Polar, I thought you wanted a Bowman?  They are not the same.

£18.17 Incl VAT
Save £0.96 (5.0%

That’s the one that Terry said in the OP that he didn’t want. 

8 hours ago, Terryb said:

I'm not sure of the part number, but it is not the Bulb type ( I think 3419) it is the Flat blank of 70mm.

The plywood bung was a thought Tony, but I dont have enough room between the end and the Alternator as the wood wouldn't have the clearance, I've only got around 20mm free space so that would chaff. I did see the part I need advertised years ago, but now they only show the smaller dia I think 45mm or 54mm or something. Doh ! 

8 hours ago, Terryb said:

The plywood bung was a thought Tony, but I dont have enough room between the end and the Alternator as the wood wouldn't have the clearance, I've only got around 20mm free space so that would chaff. I did see the part I need advertised years ago, but now they only show the smaller dia I think 45mm or 54mm or something. Doh ! 

I don't understand that. Short hose the length of the aluminium stub plus 12mm so the wooden bung sits against the aluminium stub. Hose clips are less than 12mm wide so that's OK. 12mm -  12mm gives 8mm clearance.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't understand that. Short hose the length of the aluminium stub plus 12mm so the wooden bung sits against the aluminium stub. Hose clips are less than 12mm wide so that's OK. 12mm -  12mm gives 8mm clearance.

No I think your'e right. I'm a bit stressed atm. I bodged it yesterday, broke down again today. Managed to buy a replacement 3419 for the time being. But re measuring today, I think I can just squeeze it in. The 20mm was a guestimate, i have 17mm so it will be tight, but worth a go. Many thanks pal.