Two part primer

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Personally Prescribed Alcohol ?

Alcohol is rarely taken in small amounts here. ?

A story, probably true, is that Craftmaster PPA stands for "Phils Paint Additive" but some other "competitor" paint companies have also produced their own PPA believing that this is just the generic name for paint additive. Along the same lines, "Raddle" now means any silk finish enamel rather then special red stuff that you put on the roof.

I think many painters would refer to PPA as an "extender".

.................Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Along the same lines, "Raddle" now means any silk finish enamel rather then special red stuff that you put on the roof.

Raddle was (is) actually a block of solid paint that fits into a chest harness strapped to a ram, when the Ram mounts a Ewe he leaves a coloured 'skid-mark' as he slides off. The colour of the raddle is changed each week during the 'season' so the Farmer knows what week the ewes are going to lamb.

I presume the boating industry 'stole' the name / paint colour.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Raddle was (is) actually a block of solid paint that fits into a chest harness strapped to a ram, when the Ram mounts a Ewe he leaves a coloured 'skid-mark' as he slides off. The colour of the raddle is changed each week during the 'season' so the Farmer knows what week the ewes are going to lamb.

I presume the boating industry 'stole' the name / paint colour.

If you look to Google to find the history of Raddle paint you will land upon a 2015 thread from this very forum, including with a post from yourself ?

.............Dave

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hopefully I am consistent.

Yes, still claiming a connection to sheep shaggin ?.

There was an interesting suggestion about a Raddle Wharf at Ellesmere Port.

...............Dave

39 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Personally Prescribed Alcohol ?

Works for me for any job I’ve been putting off. 

1 hour ago, dmr said:

maybe Dr Bob will help.

Will you, @Dr Bob?

Edited by WotEver
The dreaded repetition repetition.

Sod the sheep shagging! PPA is indeed “ Phil’s Paint Additive” similar to Owatrol and other paint conditioners. As a signwriter my preferred brand is OneShot reducer6000, also marketed as Chromaflow. The idea behind all of these is that they improve the flow characteristics without substantially reducing the viscosity, which would be the case if white spirit were used. I suspect each painter has their own preference....what works for one may not do so for another....

16 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Sod the sheep shagging! PPA is indeed “ Phil’s Paint Additive” similar to Owatrol and other paint conditioners. As a signwriter my preferred brand is OneShot reducer6000, also marketed as Chromaflow. The idea behind all of these is that they improve the flow characteristics without substantially reducing the viscosity, which would be the case if white spirit were used. I suspect each painter has their own preference....what works for one may not do so for another....

Indeed! I had run right out of wood primer and the local hardware shop is still shut. I improvised by mixing an undercoat with a bit of white spirit. It worked but it did go very weak and runny.   I never really got on the Owatrol as a paint conditioner but its really good at soaking into the cut edges of plywood.

Gillie has just redone the graining on the back of the boat round the sign writing, thanks for the lesson ?

...........Dave

19 minutes ago, dmr said:

I never really got on the Owatrol as a paint conditioner but its really good at soaking into the cut edges of plywood.

Polytrol is really good at that too.

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Works for me for any job I’ve been putting off. 

Will you, @Dr Bob?

PPA?

Never really been a fan of adding extra stuff to a paint formulation. When we were doing our epoxy formulations, we didn't need these type of additives which are more about helping brushing coatings....ours were all designed to be used with airless spray guns.

Paints are thixotropic..i.e. Low viscosity with high stres i.e. Brushing, spraying etc so easy to apply...but high viscosity with low shear so they are high build and don't drip or sag once applied. The additives allow the viscosity to be reduced after application to let brush marks flow out, or bubbles escape or to reduce pigment flocculation etc. Any additive is likely to reduce the water resistance of a coating. Using them is not scientific. Usually it's suck it and see. If it makes application better then chuck it in. If not then don't use it. I can certainly see them helping keep a wet edge when temps are high but is long term performance as good? It's a balance.

• Greenie 1