240v power?

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

... they wanted to charge me £14,000. We decided to stick with oil!

You made the right decision :)

It makes no sense to me why they would want to sting you like that. A ‘forever’ gas user lost due to short term greed. 

21 minutes ago, David Mack said:

My in-laws house was built in the 1960s on an estate without gas, and the central heating was oil fired. In the 70s the Gas Board would provide a gas connection to each property for free, if enough residents would sign up to take gas, which they did. And so the oil tank went. 

A couple of years ago I enquired about getting our house connected to gas - the existing supply pipe ends less than 100 yards away and has sufficient spare capacity - and they wanted to charge me £14,000. We decided to stick with oil!

My parents did the same thing when the gas main came through the village, Best thing they ever did,until then it was coal

29 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A couple of years ago I enquired about getting our house connected to gas - the existing supply pipe ends less than 100 yards away and has sufficient spare capacity - and they wanted to charge me £14,000. We decided to stick with oil!

When we had the house built (2005/6) we needed a larger (3-phase) leccy supply that was available previously.

It cost me £20,000 for a new transformer and 200 yards of cabling and ducting.

I had to dig my own trench, install the ducting and back fill, they then pulled the cable, connected it to the transformer and left a 'tail' for our electrician to connect into the fuse box

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When we had the house built (2005/6) we needed a larger (3-phase) leccy supply that was available previously.

It cost me £20,000 for a new transformer and 200 yards of cabling and ducting.

I had to dig my own trench, install the ducting and back fill, they then pulled the cable, connected it to the transformer and left a 'tail' for our electrician to connect into the fuse box

That is why my son runs a diesel generator on his clay shoot to feed the clubhouse at the base of a high voltage electricity pole. The cost of hanging the transformer on the pole and dropping a supply cable

20 hours ago, jaime66 said:

All modern AC units run with inverter to power the compressor so no high amp draw on start up ....if they can build Pyramids  sure we can get a AC unit to work lol 

You asked a question. Perhaps instead of laughing because you don't like what you're hearing, you should listen to the (free) advice that's being given by people who have quite a bit of practical experience on boats. 

Basically the whole idea is a waste of time unless you're on shore power or you have a proper built-in water cooled marine diesel generator or a Travelpower. However, without shore power you'll be running a generator or your engine for hours just for air conditioning. For me, having any engine running all the time would spoil the enjoyment of being on the waterways and part of being on boats (off grid) is learning how to reduce one's power consumption.

Edited by blackrose