Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
speedypete202

Shardlow to the Erewash

Featured Posts

I hope this is the right place for this.

Currently moored at Shardlow looking to head up the Erewash tomorrow so need to have a quick cruise down the Trent - I had a wander down to the river earlier and it was exactly on the line between yellow and red. Further wanderings down to Derwent mouth did not reveal anything too terrifying but I am just wondering if anyone can give me any info on the state of things further down. Wondering if I can get into Sawley OK as I remember there are flood gates. 

 

Any help would be appreciated :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a flood lock at Sawley which I expect to be in use. The flood gates at Cranfleet were open this afternoon - you don't need to go throught them as you will be turning onto the Erewash at Trent Lock. The Trent does appear to be falling slowly. If you do decide to go keep to the south side of the river beyond the pipe bridge as the pull from the large weir at Sawley will be strong. Also when you join the river from the lock cut at Shardlow expect your boat to do odd things as the flows from the Trent and Derwent merge.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, speedypete202 said:

I hope this is the right place for this.

Currently moored at Shardlow looking to head up the Erewash tomorrow so need to have a quick cruise down the Trent - I had a wander down to the river earlier and it was exactly on the line between yellow and red. Further wanderings down to Derwent mouth did not reveal anything too terrifying but I am just wondering if anyone can give me any info on the state of things further down. Wondering if I can get into Sawley OK as I remember there are flood gates. 

 

Any help would be appreciated 

Edit, beaten to it.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for this

Might be interesting then, I have heard all sorts of stories about Derwent Mouth and looking at it this afternoon the currents were very peculiar. 

Thanks for the advice RE navigation at Sawley!

I wasn't aware one could check this? Do I need to ring them or is it an online jobby?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, speedypete202 said:

Thank you for this

Might be interesting then, I have heard all sorts of stories about Derwent Mouth and looking at it this afternoon the currents were very peculiar. 

Thanks for the advice RE navigation at Sawley!

I wasn't aware one could check this? Do I need to ring them or is it an online jobby?
 

If the flood lock is closed to navigation you can check on line.

 

But its likely its not at the mo.

 

Edit, if it was I dont believe you would get past Derwent mouth onto the river section.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, speedypete202 said:

OK thanks for that. Is it just in the ordinary stoppages check on the CRT site?

 

Cheers

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/planning-your-boat-trip/water-level-and-strong-stream-warnings

 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

 

 

Edited by The Happy Nomad
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah brilliant, no idea why I couldn't find that in Google although in my experience Google seems to struggle with the newer CRT site.

Thanks very much anyway - it's really appreciated!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what your plans are. I had a stoppage notice today. Regarding the Erewash Canal just north of Gallows lock. There’s a large tree blocking the navigation. If you’re not going that far then ignore me.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Not sure what your plans are. I had a stoppage notice today. Regarding the Erewash Canal just north of Gallows lock. There’s a large tree blocking the navigation. If you’re not going that far then ignore me.

It is part of our yard plans for "social distancing"......😂

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Not sure what your plans are. I had a stoppage notice today. Regarding the Erewash Canal just north of Gallows lock. There’s a large tree blocking the navigation. If you’re not going that far then ignore me.

Tree now removed, so problem fixed ...

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.