Mooring at Slapton Lock 30 GU south

Tanglewood

Featured Posts

Since the closure of the long-term CRT moorings at Slapton Lock, a number of boats have taken advantage of the site being available as  a casual mooring, as is their right. CRT being quite happy for it to be used in this way.   It seems the neighbouring landowner, who disputes that CRT own the canal bank has put up a notice claiming that he has the right to claim £25.00 per day  from any boat that moors there without his permission.  He also claims to offer long term moorings on a 6 month or annual basis.  This does not appear to be sanctioned by CRT, and the site does not have planning permission, so boater's beware.  It might be worth asking CRT a few questions.  

4 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

Since the closure of the long-term CRT moorings at Slapton Lock, a number of boats have taken advantage of the site being available as  a casual mooring, as is their right. CRT being quite happy for it to be used in this way.   It seems the neighbouring landowner, who disputes that CRT own the canal bank has put up a notice claiming that he has the right to claim £25.00 per day  from any boat that moors there without his permission.  He also claims to offer long term moorings on a 6 month or annual basis.  This does not appear to be sanctioned by CRT, and the site does not have planning permission, so boater's beware.  It might be worth asking CRT a few questions.  

Have you?

6 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

Since the closure of the long-term CRT moorings at Slapton Lock, a number of boats have taken advantage of the site being available as  a casual mooring, as is their right.

Why do you think boaters now have the rights to use a closed down offside mooring as a casual mooring?

If the former operator had been anyone but CRT they would not have that right, surely, so why is this any different?

Generally you have a right to moor on the tow-path side but not the non tow-path side, and I'm not sure why this stretch of bank doesn't now just fall into that category?

From what I understand he's having a long running tiff with CRT and the long term moorings haven't been reinstated. It's your business if you want to give him money to moor there, but I'd make a few phone calls before planning on staying longer than a fortnight.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Why do you think boaters now have the rights to use a closed down offside mooring as a casual mooring?

Two reasons, one that people do moor there for up to 14 days without receiving any attention from the enforcement officer. and the second because I was involved in the campaign about three years ago to keep the moorings open and have a letter from Richard Parry confirming exactly what I have stated.  My concern is that boaters who do use the mooring may feel intimidated by the company putting out these notices.  When this all started in 2014/5 it was because of harassment which resulted in the boaters leaving their moorings and the moorings not being re-advertised and subsequently closed.

Edited by Tanglewood
to remove attachment not intended for publication
  • Greenie 2

I got a note through in the summer. After communication with CRT they basically said it is our land, a thin strip next to the bank. But theres a long standing running dispute and I think CRT would prefer an easy life and not have us mooring there

1 hour ago, sirweste said:

I got a note through in the summer. After communication with CRT they basically said it is our land, a thin strip next to the bank. But theres a long standing running dispute and I think CRT would prefer an easy life and not have us mooring there

Apart from the poor grammar and the  incorrect name of CaRT in that letter, nobody other than a statutory body can charge ‘fines’. It reads as 100% BS.