Victron Centaur Charger Help

Clodi

Featured Posts

I have a Victron Centaur 12v 20amp charger where one of the two outlets has stopped working. The 2nd outlet works fine. I've had a quick look inside and the 2 glass fuses which seem OK. There's another (single) opaque fuse? but I'm guessing that's OK as one outlet is working. Is there anything else I can check. I'm not 100% certain but I have a strong suspicion that a battery may have been wrongly connected as I lent the charger out to a fellow boater in need & it was all OK at the time. It has stood idle for around a year.

Any ideas how to fix?

I must admit I've also asked the 'wizards' on facebook but no joy there

38 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Any ideas how to fix?

I had the same charger (allbeit the 50a version) and suffered a similar problem, then the 2nd output stopped working. Tried replacing fuses - no difference so looked in the manual and it says :

TROUBLESHOOTING
Problem                                                  Possible cause                                          Solution
Charger does not function                       The mains is not ok                                 Measure mains
                                                               Input or output fuses are defective      Return product to your dealer
The battery does not get                         A bad battery connection                         Check battery connection
fully charged

Spoke to dealer who said they couldn't not do anything but if I returned it they would send it to the factory (Holland)

Sent it back at a cost of (I think about) £60, got a report from the factory which said irreparable, would I like them to destroy it or send it back (at a cost of £100)

I said keep it.

Bought another Victron (different model - Phoenix) and had no problems since.

I have the old manual but cannot post it as the forum will not accept Pdfs. If you would like a copy PM me your email and I'll send it onto you.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

29 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I've also got the 12/200 which works fine (touch wood). I've checked all the fuses on the 20amp & they're all OK. Funny thing is 2 +s still work!

"Three outputs that each can supply the full output current

Three isolated outputs to simultaneously charge 3 battery banks

Each output is capable to supply the full rated current."

Just keep using it, it should be fine.

Even if it was the type that gave 1/3rd of the output per connection, it would work just as well as a 14A charger, but would take a bit longer to top up flat batteries.  If it's on a permanent shoreline it will be fine.

I have never had the luxury of shoreline unfortunately. I use the 12/200 on the boat with my big gennie as required. I'll use this 'problem' 12/20amp as a spare . I can't really sell it with this problem .

On 02/03/2020 at 13:06, Clodi said:

There's another (single) opaque fuse?

I wouldn't mind betting it was not opaque until it blew.

You really should buy a six quid multi-meter then you can test stuff like this and rule out all doubt.

On 05/03/2020 at 18:35, Mike the Boilerman said:

I wouldn't mind betting it was not opaque until it blew.

You really should buy a six quid multi-meter then you can test stuff like this and rule out all doubt.

I have tested all the fuses with my rather expensive multi-meter & yes the opaque fuse is supposed to be opaque

3 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I have tested all the fuses with my rather expensive multi-meter & yes the opaque fuse is supposed to be opaque

Excellent. Ruling stuff out is as important as revealing things that are wrong.