stanchion base (and other deck fittings) rusting - treatment methods?

Alastair

Featured Posts

The boat we are looking at has stanchions (SS) going into sockets. The sockets are welded to the side decks, which are painted with some sort of non-slip paint.

There are some rust marks coming from the welded sockets - not a lot, just a stain. 

If we buy the boat, I think it wise to target stopping that rust. Not stopped, it will weaken the stanchion support very fast.

Not sure how to do this. The 'socket' that the stanchion sits in will always be a water ingress point, so there will be water sat in that socket. 

Take the stanchion out and get a load of Vactan into the socket?

Edited by Alastair

Consider drilling drain holes in the bottom / side of the socket ?

We have the same 'rails & sockets' on our sea-going boats (Rails, grab handles, steps, etc) but have never had any staining - I wonder if the builder used 'cheap' stainless (maybe type 304) instead of marine grade (type 316).

IMG_1018.JPG

CAM00363.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

58 minutes ago, Alastair said:

The boat we are looking at has stanchions (SS) going into sockets. The sockets are welded to the side decks, which are painted with some sort of non-slip paint.

Are the sockets stainless or mild steel? If the latter I think it is inevitable that any paint on the inside will have been damaged by the stanchions, so liable to rust.

Remove all loose rust and treat with Vactan or whatever your favourite rust treatment is then pack the cavity and coat any screws or bolts with Lanocote and reassemble rails. Wipe off any excess Lanocote that squeezes out and you should be good for a considerable length of time as it also prevents the ingress of water. I use it whenever mounting fittings  - especially with dissimilar metals - as it is good at preventing electrolysis and corrosion. Non staining and user friendly - made from the grease off sheep's wool.

15 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Consider drilling drain holes in the bottom / side of the socket ?

You should definitely look at Alan's advice here and check the drainage.  SS has a very thin surface layer of oxide which needs oxygen to work it's rustproof magic. Any such joints need to be free draining  as the SS can suffer from Cavity Corrosion if deprived of oxygen. 

• Greenie 1

This is a super-helpful thread. I have two similar (painted mild steel?) fittings empty and water filled on my NB and was thinking about what to do with them... I'm thinking cap off with plastic/wood and then advice as above? 

They are for the bar seat style stearing seats and on my boat would prevent easy access when on our mooring so would be a danger when stationary as well as cruising so they are destined to remain empty. 

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

17 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

This is a super-helpful thread. I have two similar (painted mild steel?) fittings empty and water filled on my NB and was thinking about what to do with them... I'm thinking cap off with plastic/wood and then advice as above? 

They are for the bar seat style stearing seats and on my boat would prevent easy access when on our mooring so would be a danger when stationary as well as cruising so they are destined to remain empty. 

If you are never going to use them why not cut them off?

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you are never going to use them why not cut them off?

Lack of ability (and tool) only really. 

And possibly caution abt making permanent changes on a boat which is new to me. 

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

33 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

And possibly caution abt making permanent changes on a boat which is new to me. 

That's not the daftest thing you've ever posted. Many have fallen foul of doing that before fully understanding their boat..

40 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That's not the daftest thing you've ever posted. Many have fallen foul of doing that before fully understanding their boat..

Thank you. 

I currently have a few bits awaiting photography for this place to identify them. Some things (e.g top of an old spray can) I found in the engine area I knew to throw out... Others I'm not so sure!