catching Crayfish

Ian B

Featured Posts

does that qualify as 'trapping' that requires a licence, or is it no licence necessary to catch them like that?

From my experience of getting a licence any method which allows you to remove the crayfish from the water will be classed as "trapping"

• 4 weeks later...

Tried the Staffs and Worcs from Great Haywood to Kinver no success. Starting to wonder if it needs to be a river or virtually unused canal, do they only like clear water?

Told my wife we wouldn't need any food because we would live off Crayfish and starved for a week!

Tried the Staffs and Worcs from Great Haywood to Kinver no success. Starting to wonder if it needs to be a river or virtually unused canal, do they only like clear water?

Told my wife we wouldn't need any food because we would live off Crayfish and starved for a week!

My brother catches them regularly on the Oxford near Bicester - enough to make a meal for him and his wife

Seen one on the Calder & Hebble again yesterday when we moored for lunch at Cooper Bridge flood lock. it was just scampering along between the lining stones about 9" below the surface. Looked like one of the american ones though, quite large claws. Thats twice we seen one on the C&H in the past couple of months without needing to trap them.

• 2 weeks later...

And I hope we all take note of the following, unashamedly copied from Narrowboat World but I think in a good cause:-

"Otters die in illegal trap

AN ILLEGAL trap, for crayfish in the Cam, trapped three otters who were unable to escape, and drowned.

The trap was discovered by a canoeist who spotted the protected otters dead inside the trap.

Environment Agency staff who recovered the trap said the entry to the wire-mesh cage exceeded regulations, and should the culprit be caught he will face prosecution which could result in a heavy fine or jail.

Andy Sadler, of the Environment Agency, explained:

"It looks like a chub had swum into it and that's what the otters probably went in there for. The trap is probably one for catching crayfish but they're relatively new in design and the mouth is too big."