Mini oil radiator on timer

Ghemmie

Featured Posts

I have a device which phones me up (text message) when the temperature falls below (or above) a determined value. Sorry can't think of the name at the moment. It also lets me know if the power supply fails. I've been dangling the additional plug-in sensor over an oil-filled radiator so, from the comfort of my home, I can find out the overall boat temperature (at about waist, electric socket level) and the temperature a foot above the radiator (so I know if the radiator is on). Bear with me, there is a point to this.

Two oil filled radiators are controlled by a separate 240v thermostat. Over the last few week this thermostat was at floor level and I was perplexed as to why the heaters (which should come on at 5 deg C) were not coming on when the waist level temperature was 0 or even -1. A visit to the boat taught me that the floor level temperature was significantly higher than the waist level temperature - presumably due to the heating effect of the canal which take some time to cool. I've moved the thermostat to a waist level socket and the radiators are coming on much more often.

So, you not only need to decide on what temperature to set the thermostat at, but also consider where to place it. Got there in the end.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

If it wasn’t furry then it’ll be fine ;)

A member of management from Heinz once told me that many of their products would be unlikely to spoil in the fridge after even a decade, but food labelling and safety regs caused them to give only a 12month life. 

An interesting place was the Heinz factory. A number of my friends served their apprenticeships there in the 60's. Baked beans were pumped through a 1.25 miles x 4" dia stainless steel pipe running around the factory to blanch the beans.

When I moored in Harefield someone I knew there worked locally removing the B/B dates from foodstuffs and updating them. All perfectly above board and legal.

I had a Saturday job in a small supermarket during the late 60's/early 70's, and recall the dairy produce rep coming around to check dates on pots of yoghurt and cream.

If not obviously blown, he would tap the foil top with his finger, wipe off the 'use by date and use his experience to determine a new date before stamping it on.

I don't think.anybody died. ??

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

Somewhere not to far away from us is a 'chicken factory', they supply all the major supermarkets with everything chicken related  from full chickens to portions to chicken-curry.

The big supermarkets have such power that their contracts state that any unsold, out of date, food will be returned to the supplier for credit.

The returned chicken is re-packaged, re-dated and sold to a chain of frozen food shops.

There are bargains to be had in their staff shop (open to local residents)  - last week we got a dozen (complete) oven ready chickens with 2 days left on the BB date at 50p each, stuck 10 in the freezer and cooked 2 - Lurverly !!!!

When our French Bulldog was a pup he had a poorly tummy and all he could eat was chicken - the staff shop was a god send I was buying dozens of chicken breast at a time and boiling them up for both him and us. Had to do that for about 9 months before we got him onto 'dog food'.