Which Water heater to fit?

Bojangles

Featured Posts

I wish to install an instant gas water heater. I used to like the Paloma but they don't seem to be available now.

Which of the current gas water heaters are rated as best for a n/b?

Your info appreciated.

I was convinced my mate had a paloma fitted on his new build Nb a couple of years ago but just googled em an it does sem they are obsolete. Maybe his was a valliant?

Some recondtioned palomas on fleabay i see.

Ive always prefered water heaters. Instant hot water when you need it, no having to run the engine and stuff. I would think any of the current makes are suitable as long as they comply with the bss and Spares/servicing isnt a problem

We had a Morco on the old boat, and it was great. Never caused us a problem as long as you make sure you drain the water in the cold weather incase of freezing... actually saying that we didn't drain it one bad winter and still didn't have any problems.

If you're going to be buying a new water heater then I'm guessing that you'll get some type of guarantee but in the long run the most important thing is the ease of obtaining spares and the cost of them, should you ever need them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe (without checking) that the BSS regs don't allow the Paloma anymore on NEW installations because it does not have a balanced flue. ie: it draws its combustion air from inside the cabin which is not now allowed other than on existing installations pre BSS. That's why the Paloma has disappeared.

I also understand (again without checking) that Rinnai et al do have a balanced flue version.

Chris

With regards to the BSS issue surrounding balanced flue water heaters:

I contacted the BSS about this a while ago to find that they 'recommend' that you don't install a non-balanced-flue heater in a new build (or any other boat for that matter) but that you can go ahead and do it if you want. It will not fail the BSS test. The only stumbling block is the fact that Corgi people won't fit it if it is not room-sealed. However, you can get around this by either doing it yourself or getting a competent friend to do it for you.

Hope this helps,

Tom.

P.S. obviously don't just take my word for it - contact the BSS yourself to double-check.

With regards to the BSS issue surrounding balanced flue water heaters:

I contacted the BSS about this a while ago to find that they 'recommend' that you don't install a non-balanced-flue heater in a new build (or any other boat for that matter) but that you can go ahead and do it if you want. It will not fail the BSS test. The only stumbling block is the fact that Corgi people won't fit it if it is not room-sealed. However, you can get around this by either doing it yourself or getting a competent friend to do it for you.

Hope this helps,

Tom.

P.S. obviously don't just take my word for it - contact the BSS yourself to double-check.

section 8.10 of the BSS guide covers non-room sealed appliances. they are acceptable, if you follow the simple rules.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe (without checking) that the BSS regs don't allow the Paloma anymore on NEW installations because it does not have a balanced flue. ie: it draws its combustion air from inside the cabin which is not now allowed other than on existing installations pre BSS. That's why the Paloma has disappeared.

I also understand (again without checking) that Rinnai et al do have a balanced flue version.

Chris

I think it's the RCD that bans non-room sealed water heaters (or any other non-room sealed appliance apart from solid fuel stoves, ovens & hobs... which I guess just leaves fridges), rather than the BSS.

It doesn't make much sense to me - you can have a solid fuel stove continuously drawing lots of combustion air from within the cabin and this is instantly replenished through your non-closeable vents, yet you can't have a non-room sealed gas fridge which runs on a tiny pilot light or a non-room sealed hot water heater which is only on occasionally?

Anyways, it only really applies to new builds following the RCD, so your choice is either BSS or RCD & room - sealed appliances.

I think it's the RCD that bans non-room sealed water heaters (or any other non-room sealed appliance apart from solid fuel stoves, ovens & hobs... which I guess just leaves fridges), rather than the BSS.

It doesn't make much sense to me - you can have a solid fuel stove continuously drawing lots of combustion air from within the cabin and this is instantly replenished through your non-closeable vents, yet you can't have a non-room sealed gas fridge which runs on a tiny pilot light or a non-room sealed hot water heater which is only on occasionally?

I bet the RCD people have taken 'unbiased' advice from the makers of room sealed boilers... B)

In answer to the original question I would fit a Rinnai as they shut down if a blocked heat exchanger or backdraft occurs.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

I bet the RCD people have taken 'unbiased' advice from the makers of room sealed boilers... B)

In answer to the original question I would fit a Rinnai as they shut down if a blocked heat exchanger or backdraft occurs.

cheers,

Pete.

Don't other makes do the same? I have a Valliant which i've yet to install.

My boat wont be built until next year so I have been looking at what is potentially available. Copied this from a caravan/motorhome suppliers website but dont know if it OK for marine use. B)

Propex Malaga II Gas Boiler 59100-3

Large 13.5ltr efficient room sealed gas boiler (this model does not operate on 240v like the model above). Side wall exiting flue terminal. Ideal for installation in caravans, motor caravans and horse boxes (can be fitted in a cupboard or bed box). Heats water up to 70oC, Gas supply propane or butane (Input 1.15kW 84g/hr), Gas connection 8mm O.D. Dimensions: (H) 250mm x (W) 325mm x (D) 445mm

Price: £335.00 (€536.00)

We had a Paloma on the previous boat and it was brilliant. These instant water heaters are the best, and nobody will ever convince me any different. Like somebody else mentioned, I can't understand why these water heaters are frowned upon, yet solid fuel stoves are "OK". Smacks of double standards to me. At one point I thought that they weren't allowed on new builds, but this now seems to be something of an urban legend. I will be fitting one on ours in time to come.

My boat wont be built until next year so I have been looking at what is potentially available. Copied this from a caravan/motorhome suppliers website but dont know if it OK for marine use. B)

Propex Malaga II Gas Boiler 59100-3

Large 13.5ltr efficient room sealed gas boiler (this model does not operate on 240v like the model above). Side wall exiting flue terminal. Ideal for installation in caravans, motor caravans and horse boxes (can be fitted in a cupboard or bed box). Heats water up to 70oC, Gas supply propane or butane (Input 1.15kW 84g/hr), Gas connection 8mm O.D. Dimensions: (H) 250mm x (W) 325mm x (D) 445mm

Price: £335.00 (€536.00)

I think the above may be a problem on a boat, the exhaust/inlets may not be extendable.

I had a similar system years ago in my caravan and the length of the exhaust and inlet was critical to it working properly

Maybe a phone call to the manufacturers, will answer that one.

I think the above may be a problem on a boat, the exhaust/inlets may not be extendable.

I had a similar system years ago in my caravan and the length of the exhaust and inlet was critical to it working properly

Maybe a phone call to the manufacturers, will answer that one.

Found the on-line technical help and:-

Q: Are they suitable for marine use?

A: No

Pity as the seem to be reasonably priced.

Found the on-line technical help and:-

Q: Are they suitable for marine use?

A: No

Pity as the seem to be reasonably priced.

Some chandlers sell room-sealed gas water heaters for about the same price as the one you found which are suitable for marine installation. That price is about 3 times the price of a non-room sealed heater.

Edited by blackrose

My understanding is that you may install an instant gas water heater and that the BSS only requires "advisory" adequate ventilation if it is not room sealed. This was a nonsense from the beginning of the boat safety scheme when it seemed that gas appliances were to be banned altogether - until someone pointed out that to room seal a gas cooking hob would mean you could not cook. gas fridges unfortunately were outlawed, but now you can fit one again I believe, and stop draining your batteries once more.