Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Neil Ryan

Stourport options; revisited

Featured Posts

Thanks to everyone who have been a great help in our planning for next summer. We are definitely going to do the Stourport Ring and we will definitely be going clock-wise starting at Alvechurch.

My question(s) this time, are around the two route variations.

1. Hanbury to Worcester (straight down or via Droitwich)

2. Stourton to Dudley (via stourbridge and Netherton or stay on Staffs and Worcs through Wolverhampton)

 

We have 11 days so we have lots of time.

2 (maybe 3) boats traveling together

Traveling July 3-13, 2020

I think nice scenery is more important than industrial (I think we will see enough of that through Birmingham)

Pubs are important

Safe moorage at night is important

Nothing you say will be held against you!!

 

Thoughts??

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Neil Ryan said:

Thanks to everyone who have been a great help in our planning for next summer. We are definitely going to do the Stourport Ring and we will definitely be going clock-wise starting at Alvechurch.

My question(s) this time, are around the two route variations.

1. Hanbury to Worcester (straight down or via Droitwich)

2. Stourton to Dudley (via stourbridge and Netherton or stay on Staffs and Worcs through Wolverhampton)

 

We have 11 days so we have lots of time.

2 (maybe 3) boats traveling together

Traveling July 3-13, 2020

I think nice scenery is more important than industrial (I think we will see enough of that through Birmingham)

Pubs are important

Safe moorage at night is important

Nothing you say will be held against you!!

 

Thoughts??

 

 

 

Definitely via Dudley, that gets you the Bull & Bladder and Ma Pardoes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also via Worcester -- nice town, you get a better run up the river and the splendid Cardinal's Hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not go via Dudley, it is a much more industrial route. I’d continue along the Staffs & Worcs. Its more scenic, including Bratch locks. It also gives more flexibility with timing. As you are going clockwise, by the time you reach Aldersley junction at the bottom of the Wolverhampton 21 most of the trips locks and the river section has been done, so if you have a couple of days spare you can divert up the Shropshire union, maybe to Brewood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arbutus said:

I would not go via Dudley, it is a much more industrial route. I’d continue along the Staffs & Worcs. Its more scenic, including Bratch locks. It also gives more flexibility with timing. As you are going clockwise, by the time you reach Aldersley junction at the bottom of the Wolverhampton 21 most of the trips locks and the river section has been done, so if you have a couple of days spare you can divert up the Shropshire union, maybe to Brewood.

I’d go along with this, safer moorings this way, by and large, too. If you have time and stately homes are your thing, there’s Wightwick Manor near Compton, too, well worth the short walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arbutus said:

I would not go via Dudley, it is a much more industrial route. I’d continue along the Staffs & Worcs. Its more scenic, including Bratch locks. It also gives more flexibility with timing. As you are going clockwise, by the time you reach Aldersley junction at the bottom of the Wolverhampton 21 most of the trips locks and the river section has been done, so if you have a couple of days spare you can divert up the Shropshire union, maybe to Brewood.

 

I went from Stewponey to Birmingham via Dudley a few weeks ago and I can't agree that it is more "industrial".

 

I am fairly familiar with both routes and would almost always pick the Delph etc over the Wolverhampton 21.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frahkn said:

 

I went from Stewponey to Birmingham via Dudley a few weeks ago and I can't agree that it is more "industrial".

 

I am fairly familiar with both routes and would almost always pick the Delph etc over the Wolverhampton 21.

It's The Black Country innit - bound to be swathes of industrial type buildings - just motor through and marvel (?) at what the Victorians did.

If you choose the 21 then pop into the BCLM - dunno what's the beer like but it's fascinating place 'specially if you ask questions in the various exhibits.

Contrarywise most of the Stourbridge flight is very pleasant, but then the New Mainline is pretty driech (sp?) 

I can remember when both routes were moderately unpleasant.

Why not give Minimal List's exploits on YouTube for actual views...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frahkn said:

 

I went from Stewponey to Birmingham via Dudley a few weeks ago and I can't agree that it is more "industrial".

 

I am fairly familiar with both routes and would almost always pick the Delph etc over the Wolverhampton 21.

OK. Perhaps I should have phrased it differently.

 

But the OP is coming from Canada and is doing the Stourport ring over eleven days in June when the days are long.

 

I did the ring a few years ago hiring from Brewood in an October when the days are much shorter and completed it in a “hirers week” (six and a half days) although we used most of the daylight that was available, so the OP should have lots of available cruising time and the Wolverhampton route gives more flexibility.

 

I would say that the Stourton / Dudley route into Birmingham is industrial except for the short initial stretch from Stourton junction to the junction with the Stourbridge arm which is very pretty.

 

I can understand why you find this route preferable.

 

The route to Birmingham from the top of the Wolverhampton 21 is also industrial but with an eleven day holiday and only one chance to experience the Staffs & Worcs from Stourton onwards, I would go via the S&W and Wolverhampton 21.

 

As a boat owner who has experienced both routes, as opposed to a one-off holiday trip like the OP, then the choice may be different.

 

I was born in Wordsley, walked to school every day past the blacksheds and the Stourbridge lock flight, was an apprentice at a factory on the Fenns branch, my wife worked in the local glass industry and we still live in the area so perhaps I see things through different eyes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget that the OP said that good pubs were high on his priority list, and there's no doubt that the Dudley route is far better for these... 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.