What is it?

badgerbag

Featured Posts

Can anyone help identify this for me please? The large bore pipe at the top goes to an air vent, and it’s connected at the bottom to the pipework coming from the calorifier.

But what does the small bore pipe on the front do? 

402EE7DE-C7F1-4F1C-9896-280A0EAAF88C.jpeg

image.jpg

The small bore plastic pipe is a sight gauge, telling you the level of the liquid inside. Originally clear, it has now clouded over and no longer doing its job. I am guessing this is a header tank of some sort. Exactly what it is a header tank for depends on which pipe from the calorifier it is connected to. That it is open vented at the top suggests the heating system loop, rather than engine - calorifier loop, but sometimes engines have open vented cooling systems, rather than pressurised.

Jen

20 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The small bore plastic pipe is a sight gauge, telling you the level of the liquid inside. Originally clear, it has now clouded over and no longer doing its job. I am guessing this is a header tank of some sort. Exactly what it is a header tank for depends on which pipe from the calorifier it is connected to. That it is open vented at the top suggests the heating system loop, rather than engine - calorifier loop, but sometimes engines have open vented cooling systems, rather than pressurised.

Jen

^^^^ this :)

54 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

You mean I was right :clapping::clapping:

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Depends on what you mean by ‘main tank’

And there was me getting all big 'eaded for answering a techie question ....... that'll teach me :o:cheers:

Ah, thanks. The sight gauge shows a couple of inches of presumably water, (no sign of antifreeze).

The only way I can see to top it up would be via the air vent, does that sound remotely likely? 

2 hours ago, badgerbag said:

Ah, thanks. The sight gauge shows a couple of inches of presumably water, (no sign of antifreeze).

The only way I can see to top it up would be via the air vent, does that sound remotely likely? 

If it’s showing a couple of inches when cold then I’d suggest it doesn’t require any topping up. 

13 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Am no expert either but should it be so close to the RCD?

Well, I wouldn’t put any kind of water wotsit in the electrical cupboard myself but it’s not actually against any rules as far as I’m aware.