Wots on your roof?

Maverick

Featured Posts

When cruising, the additional item on our roof is - son, strapped into a legless chair that is strapped to the slide.
Is this so that when he starts to misbehave you have the instant cure?........Pull the release and off he goes down the slide

Then I suggest you don't look at the front cover of issue 69 of Fluvial, the French equivalent of WW:http://www.fluvialnet.com/lemag/article/zo...r=images/69.jpg

Oh I say..........Does Chris JW know about this - he had a similar thing happen to him recently momentarily

Edited by Bazza2

the only time i ever sat out on the roof sunbathing was in february.... when we had a mini heat wave. Ive not done it since.

nearly didnt have anything on the roof today as it was at risk of sliding off, woke up realising we were leaning quite a lot, looked out of the window to see the water down by a meter and we were on the bottom.

Then I suggest you don't look at the front cover of issue 69 of Fluvial, the French equivalent of WW:

http://www.fluvialnet.com/lemag/article/zo...r=images/69.jpg

"Not suitable for work", as they say over here. The French are of course a little more liberal.

Now thats wot I call a useful accessorie. Take it they dont have biting midges over there? Then again did I spot 2 red inflamed lumps? :lol:

the only time i ever sat out on the roof sunbathing was in february.... when we had a mini heat wave. Ive not done it since.

Sitting on the roof is fine. It's lying down on the roof that is, shall we say, less than flattering. Most people prefer to lie with their heads higher than their feet, which for the trim of most boats means with their head towards the stem and feet to stern. Now picture the view from the tiller, particularly of a male sunbather in baggy shorts...

Richard

Sitting on the roof is fine. It's lying down on the roof that is, shall we say, less than flattering. Most people prefer to lie with their heads higher than their feet, which for the trim of most boats means with their head towards the stem and feet to stern. Now picture the view from the tiller, particularly of a male sunbather in baggy shorts...

Richard

Ooh I think I'd rather not...... thanks all the same

Buckby can?

- I hope it used... ...non of this pretending lark!

Daniel

Used when the range ( Chernobyl Mk2) is fired up and we are making brew ups in back cabin

In summer usually used to put all the empty beer cans in as decoration :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hiya!

Just joined the forum and havent totally read this entire thread so I apologise if I am repeating what anyone else has said!!! :lol:

I hope to devise a dog run on my future boat on the roof as I have a great dane, a neapolitan bullmastiff and a golden retriver! Has anyone else done such a thing??? :rolleyes:

Has anyone actually used their life ring for it's intended function?

SteveE

With any luck, nobody at all, ever. But supposing you needed one (well, supposing a casualty needed one) and you didn't have one?

... ... ...

Well there you are. It's inconvenient. but I'll keep mine exactly where it is, for deployment in 5 seconds if necessary.

Ian

SteveE

On a mates boat it sat on the hatch and his jack russell used to sit inside it as a bed. Thankfully on Emblem and other vessels ive never had to use them....also have a throwing line to hand just in case.....as far as my canal escapades go, when ever any one has fallen in they have simply waded to the tow path.

On Emblems roof we have....radar tripod...ships compass housing....horn.....Nav light boxes with lights.....GPS ariel....GPS chartplotter ariel and safety rail to protect the perviously mentioned stuff from being swept overboard by the Mains'l Gaff boom.

On Lady Elgar......loads of leaves at the moment but that will all change come saturday :lol:

Thought I might as well join in on this one...

Wood, wood, wood, and wood.

Life ring

poles and planks

herbs

workbench

sawhorse

surfboard

kayak paddle

broom

mop

bamboo canes for summer tomatoes

fishing rods

2 PV solar panels

1 evacuated tube hot water panel

wires and pipes for the above

2 bikes, one folding, one not

unicycle

2 deck chairs

trolley

folding table

barbecue

and I think that's about it.

Wow, that's a lot. However, as with the rest of the things I own, absolutely everything up there is used very regularly. If I own anything that isn't used for a year or so then it goes on ebay or freecycle. Seems to work for me.

Almost nowt now. Going into the Wash again on Friday so removed any loose objects. Used up the firewood, and the gangplank has about had it. Bike is left at Bardney but as I'm most likely leaving my boat on the Kyme on my winter mooring....kindly donated by a mate again <_< I won't be needing it again this year. Guess I'll have to bring it home so more junk in the garden.

SteveE

Not yet i dont beleave!

-However, you never know when you may have a non-swimer on board, or someone become hurt and unable to swim or whatever.

- With a ring they can hold onto, it just buys more time to come to an affect way of geting them out, something not always trival on a canal/boat with stight sides and nothing much to hold onto.

Daniel

Not as much as I would have imagined yet!

Apart from the ring my other half has already mentioned, we have several inherited boat poles and hooks (some without hooks!), a nicely painted trough with herbs in it and a centre rope. When we are on the move a bike too.

We keep our wood (so far) in the engine room as it is then very dry but as we bring more with us perhaps we will have log piles too (large garden with lots of big trees which need arboriculture annually).

I'd like some more plants,(I run a Nursey part time) in canal art decorated pots, but gaps betweeen travel mean I can't guarantee maintenance and don't like to neglect them! Happy to advise on plants for containers, there are lots of them!

We found an old, abandoned canoe near Alvechurch in the middle of the Cut so we hooked it out before it caused any problems and put it on the roof. We tried to give it away to anyone we passed but had no takers so it did the whole of the Avon Ring on the top of the boat. We left it tied up to the bank at the top of Tardibbige as we couldn't take it home on the car.

DSC01222.jpg