Luxury Holiday Exchange

Deb&Jim

Featured Posts

Hello, Our names are Deb and Jim. We are looking to exchange our wonderful home for a canal boat in England or Europe. We are experienced boaties (both ocean going and inland waterways - England and France) who swallowed the anchor some years ago.  We have an amazing home in Penang, Malaysia which is part of a 6 star ocean front resort style developement.  We love Penang and know how lucky we are to live in such a wonderful place, but we miss being afloat and would love to spend a month or two on the French or English Canals this summer (June and/or July).  If you have a nice canal boat and like the idea of an upmarket holiday in Asia then we would love to hear from you.  The exchange would not need to simultaneous - so it could used to escape the English/European winter.  If you are interested or have friends with a canal boat that might be, lets exchange pictures.  We look forward to hearing from you.   

Sorry to be a Jonah but any boat owner contemplating this may be best advised to check with their insurance company and see if their "private" BSS certificate covers them for this sort of thing. The holiday swap might be considered as some for of monitory gain. Betrayer safe than sorry all fro the sake of a phone call or two.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Sorry to be a Jonah but any boat owner contemplating this may be best advised to check with their insurance company and see if their "private" BSS certificate covers them for this sort of thing. The holiday swap might be considered as some for of monitory gain. Betrayer safe than sorry all fro the sake of a phone call or two.

I would think similar applies to the house!

54 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I would think similar applies to the house!

I always think these ideas are fraught with possible big problems. Its dead easy to sink my 60k boat by simply silling it in a lock as a just for instance but I doubt the house is sinkable. Personaly I wouldnt ever do this kind of swop but I suppose with a very comprehensive and double and triple checked for loopholes insurance policy it may be ok for others. Even then you would like as not never get full money plus contents to replace easily.

42 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

My experience of insurance is that one is covered for everything except in the event of making a claim......

.......When one finds one is insured for nothing.

I have claimed on my car insurance twice in 48 years, both times with LV or it's predecessors. Once for damaging the engine when I drove into a puddle that was deeper than it seemed, and once for taking avoiding action when I met a car overtaking on a blind brow.

Both times my car was written off and the insurance company paid out in full, less excess.

However with my contents insurance I have claimed twice bit only had one successful claim. The unsuccessful claim was when my expensive record deck got knocked onto the floor and the 'accidental damage' cover was void because damage by impact was excluded.

Since then I check an insurance companies record on meeting claims before giving them my money.

Edited by cuthound