No spring rush on the Nene.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

So if I got the wrong impression from your post I can hardly be blamed for that.

Well, no one else can either, which does narrow it down a bit.

What on earth are you on about?

Likewise, I'm sure.

But as I said, I was just asking a question.

I don't think so. Legally, we own the river bed up to half way across our 48 feet of Old Nene frontage. We can moor a boat here, we could fish from our garden if we were sad enough. But we have no right to stop boats going through our bit of river. By the same token, I don't think we could object to a boat mooring on it, as long as he wasn't impeding us from mooring beside our garden. I certainly would not object.

I'm not sure that this is correct. Just because you wouldn't object doesn't mean riperian landowners don't have the right to object to boats anchored on their river bed, and doesn't mean that the objections aren't justified.

I think that my point is now that this conversation is at an end.

Fine with me...

Yes it does annoy. And it annoyed us the one time we had to do it too, (actually we took a line to the end of the mooring and another to the bank, leaving room to put crew off etc). But this proves my point - that you had to do it too - about the amount of and the distance between legal moorings on this river.

Our problem was not lack of moorings, we were heading for Lilford, one lock further on, where there are great casual moorings, but misjudged the time and ran out of light. I know people boat on canals by night, but the river in the country is very difficult.

I don't think I would trust mud-weight to secure the boat if the river flow increased during the night and it would be tricky to get the dog on an off the boat too.

Shove the weights in the reeds and it's fine, never had a problem. We don't have a dog to empty though.

MP.

Yes, I was going to ask. Are you allowed to drop an anchor and moor up for the night or do landowners' Riperian Rights prevent this?

In reality, landowners don't patrol their riverbank at dusk, so they'll never know. Just use common sense about where you stop and it's fine. If you're paranoid, it's quite possible to fine good moorings that are not even accessible from the land side.

MP.

Yes it does annoy. And it annoyed us the one time we had to do it too, (actually we took a line to the end of the mooring and another to the bank, leaving room to put crew off etc). But this proves my point - that you had to do it too - about the amount of and the distance between legal moorings on this river.

I don't think I would trust mud-weight to secure the boat if the river flow increased during the night and it would be tricky to get the dog on an off the boat too.

Coming downstream from Northampton.

Town centre moorings at B&Q & KFC on the westbridge arm (free)

Northampton embankment by Morrison's. Free

Northampton marina (small charge)

Midsummer meadow EA (free)

The Britannia (patrons only)

Washlands Ea (free)

Billing (chargeable)

Cogenhoe Mill (unofficial but free)

White mills marina (chargeable)

Wellingborough embankment (Free)

Water Ski club Ditchford friends of the Nene (small goba type membership)

Rushden & Diamonds EA (free)

Willy Watt Ringstead (small charge)

Woodford FOTRN (see above)

Ditchford (unofficial free)

Nine arches thrapston EA (free)

Islip EA (free)

Titchmarsh EA (free)

Peartree farm Aldwincle (FOTRN)

Wadenhoe (unofficial free)

Kings Head Wadenhoe (patrons only)

Wadenhoe water meadow (unofficial free)

Lilford (unofficial free)

Oundle Marina (chargeable)

Ashton cut (unofficial free)

Fotheringhay (small charge)

Elton Mill (unofficial free)

Queens head nassington (patrons only)

Yarwell mill (chargeable)

Haycock hotel Wansford (unofficial free)

Wansford Station EA & unofficial both free

Alwalton (unofficial free)

Ferry Meadows (free)

Boat House Thorpe Meadow (free)

Peterborough embankment (free)

Woolpack Stanground (patrons only)

I've left off some of the more out the way unofficial moorings and boat clubs as this isn't meant to be an exhaustive list ;)

Edited by gazza
  • Greenie 1

Ten quid a night soon adds up for some of the "small Charges"

Proving beyond all doubt many boaters are tighter than a ducks proverbial :)

24 out of the 38 listed are free BTW.

Edited by gazza

True, how much is he charging at Fotheringhay this year

It was £4.50 last year as I recall, £2.00 odd short stay. As I understand it the money goes to the church.

I forgot Islip Dave FOTRN on that list making a total of 39, 24 of which are free.

and have a back-up plan to (and if that fails never mind the rules and use a lock mooring 'cause there's very few other boat about anyway.)

I know others have ridiculed this, and add, it is a very bad idea.

I was moving a boat in high winds last year and came to a lock with a windward mooring - occupied by a boat - to leeward was the wier and sluice.

I had to go as if mooring on lock landing and throw ropes over and clamber over boat roof to stop wind carrying the boat I was moving into danger.

The owners came out surprised and saying what are you doing on our boat?

Its not often I let go but they got a gob-full. They had stopped for lunch!!

I know others have ridiculed this, and add, it is a very bad idea.

I was moving a boat in high winds last year and came to a lock with a windward mooring - occupied by a boat - to leeward was the wier and sluice.

I had to go as if mooring on lock landing and throw ropes over and clamber over boat roof to stop wind carrying the boat I was moving into danger.

The owners came out surprised and saying what are you doing on our boat?

Its not often I let go but they got a gob-full. They had stopped for lunch!!

Arses!

We came across a boat I know from Oundle Marina tied up on the upsream landing stage at Elton, apparently his throttle cable had snapped, they were heading upstream back to Oundle and had managed to get from the lock to the landing stage but couldn't manage the 25' to the unofficial moorings on the other side of the river :(

For those that don't know the lock in question has a shortish landing stage that is a bit of a walk away from the lock. There is no chance of jamming the boat in the head of the lock as the lock is at right angles to Elton mill and the wind often blows like buggery across there. Not that I'd stuff our boat in the jaws of a lock anyway, that's for you lot with tin boats and bitumen paint :)

It was getting dark and was a fair bit windy, narrow boats are awkward pontoons for us as the height difference is a pain.

To say I was annoyed would be a bit of an understatement!

Cheeky old bugger said we didn't expect anyone to be traveling late and asked why we were on the move.

He got told to shift the bloody thing and mind his own business!

Edited by gazza

• 1 month later...

Coming downstream from Northampton.

<snip>

I've left off some of the more out the way unofficial moorings and boat clubs as this isn't meant to be an exhaustive list wink.png

Thanks for this list. Just thought I'd mention Overton lake just before Peterborough.

For the record the last time I checked the B&Q mooring in Northampton is blocked by a fallen tree, 2 boats are stuck behind it, & as it's not on the navigation it doesnt look like it will get cleared any time soon.

Thanks for this list. Just thought I'd mention Overton lake just before Peterborough.

https://youtu.be/biRmxPkKnzs

For the record the last time I checked the B&Q mooring in Northampton is blocked by a fallen tree, 2 boats are stuck behind it, & as it's not on the navigation it doesnt look like it will get cleared any time soon.

Overton IS Ferry Meadows, now Nene Park. I've been going there with my family since I was tiny, old habits die hard :)

http://www.neneparktrust.org.uk/ferry-meadows/on-water

Brigstock Country park is now Fermyn Woods, doubt I'll ever accept that name change either :)

A shame to hear the state of things at B&Q

Edited by gazza