Superscipts and subscripts

Featured Posts

You can use the codes [ sub ] and [ sup ], like you would do to quote stuff.

Thank you all, my marshmallow tablet doesn't seem to display the font dialogue, is there a howto anywhere for the mark-up language?

But not on an i-gadget.

You can use the codes [ sub ] and [ sup ], like you would do to quote stuff.

BBCode

Although having been prompted to look up a list of BBcodes, none that I found mention sup.

Having now spent a little time on this, there appears to be no definitive BBCode reference online. Some guides don't list

[sub]Text here[/sub] [sup]Text here[/sup]

and some do. Whether there's variations or extensions of BBCode, I don't know. However our forum supports the subscript and superscript tags. I know they work if manually typed into an Android device showing the mobile version of the website, don't know about Apple devices (no way of testing). They are a pain to type in, on a screen touch keyboard. For this reason I'd always recommend posts of more than simple text, are made using a normal computer. Note, the frame around the reply box which allows easy selection of the various controls, doesn't show up on an Android phone (default browser full version skin). I believe its either a Javascript or Flash-related issue. We're not moving away from this version of forum software in the forseeable future, so that's the way it is.

Having now spent a little time on this, there appears to be no definitive BBCode reference online. Some guides don't list

[sub]Text here[/sub] [sup]Text here[/sup]
and some do. Whether there's variations or extensions of BBCode, I don't know. However our forum supports the subscript and superscript tags. I know they work if manually typed into an Android device showing the mobile version of the website, don't know about Apple devices (no way of testing). They are a pain to type in, on a screen touch keyboard. For this reason I'd always recommend posts of more than simple text, are made using a normal computer. Note, the frame around the reply box which allows easy selection of the various controls, doesn't show up on an Android phone (default browser full version skin). I believe its either a Javascript or Flash-related issue. We're not moving away from this version of forum software in the forseeable future, so that's the way it is.

Thanks Paul, the only mark-up language I've used before is ironically called Markdown. Does your version of BBCode support most HTML tags translated to square brackets then?

Thanks Paul, the only mark-up language I've used before is ironically called Markdown. Does your version of BBCode support most HTML tags translated to square brackets then?

To be honest, I don't know and I don't really do anything unusual or advanced with posting posts. I use the stuff on the reply box (on a normal computer, where the vast majority of my posts are made) and occasionally "fix" things like broken quotes, or copy & paste stuff in, by switching the BBCodes off (switch in top left of reply box) then manually tweaking them. I am not an expert on this forum software, more a "jack of all trades" involving XML, HTML, PHP, Javascript, SQL, COBOL, Python, Pascal, TSO, IMS, CICS, MVS, VMS, C, etc etc

As far as superscripts and subscripts go, once you start actually writing out maths stuff, they soon reach their limitations anyway - another project uses TEX markup quite successfully.

If you want to further research it, we use IP.Board 3.4.8