Lapworth Banter 30th May 2015

RLWP

Featured Posts

So, what do people think, shall we have one? Maybe the last weekend in June?

Richard

Although I admit that I have indicated elsewhere some dissatisfaction with the loud music in the evening, the last weekend of June is the Braunston Historic Boats event. I know quite a number of the forum members, (not just the historic boat owners), tend to go to Braunston, so it could limit attendance somewhere else.

We have never made it to a Lapworth one, (they have always conflicted with something else), but I thought there were now problems with finding a pub that would welcome a banter. Or have I got that wrong?

What are the dates of Braunston, Alvecote and Shakerstone, Alan?

Richard

The first is confirmed, the other two, I think, currently a best guess....

Sat 27th - Sun 28th June – Braunston Historic Boats

Sat 29th - Mon Sep 31st - Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Sat 5th - Sun 6th September - Shackerstone Festival

BCN Challenge is 23rd/24th May

So, earlier in June would be better then, perhaps the first weekend?

Richard

The weekend of Sat 6th and Sun 7th June is one where I'm not aware of any significant canal events on, (I'm happy to be corrected though, if I'm wrong).

The following weekend we would almost definitely be involved in the family Festival Gala at Stoke Bruerne - now a firm favourite of ours.

Yes, the Blue Bell at Warings Green would work too. There's a long visitor mooring there

Lapworth does have that nice open area next to the sanitation block which makes a good venue

Richard

Historically, some of our members (myself included) are barred, although I've not had a problem being served since. The landlord is less than friendly, but then he'd have to go a distance to match the one at Long Buckby. I do think that the food and beer are over-priced, not being a member of the glitterati of Warwickshire, but there again the facilities are otherwise really good.

The first weekend after the BCN is not good for me and Katie and we're doing our fibre double act in Devon in the hope of earning food money for the summer ....

Using the large open area would allow barbecues and gazebos and bring your own food and drink type of banter. A group of us used that model very successfully for a number of years . Not sure what Lapworth would think of it, we used to gather at the vale.

Down the locks would mean a bit of a hand on the flight as I'm a bit slow single handed.

Best if it doesn't clash with any historic boat events as well as that might rule some of us out.

Edited by madcat

I;ve absolutely no idea about how various pubs in that area might work out for Banters - we have never looked at them in that light.

However we have had an experience at the Navigation where we felt we paid far too much for a meal, which left us with a fair resolve not to race back there. (It was not a "bad" meal as such, but portions were decidely stingy, the costs high, and the staff unwelcoming).

When we recently went up (by car) to the HNBC social at Lapworth, we made a point of avoiding the Navigation, and instead went to the Wharf Tavern a few miles away at Hockley Heath. We were well looked after, with decent portions of good food at a far more reasonable price, and both staff and locals were very friendly.

As I say, I have absolutely no idea how that might work out for Bantering, and I also acknowledge that one persons limited experience of somewhere may be very different from someone else's. Maybe there are people who think the Navigation is fantastic, and the Wharf Tavern rather less so?

I can only report as we found from our experiences.

I think the daughters of forum member 'Kustomcut' (famous for doing the BCN Challenge on the little plastic cruiser) work in the Blue Bell. I've always heard good things about it. Perhaps someone local could do a recce?

Sounds promising

The first weekend after the BCN is not good for me and Katie and we're doing our fibre double act in Devon in the hope of earning food money for the summer ....

That's OK, the first weekend in June isn't the first weekend after the BCN

Edited by RLWP

I;ve absolutely no idea about how various pubs in that area might work out for Banters - we have never looked at them in that light.

However we have had an experience at the Navigation where we felt we paid far too much for a meal, which left us with a fair resolve not to race back there. (It was not a "bad" meal as such, but portions were decidely stingy, the costs high, and the staff unwelcoming).

When we recently went up (by car) to the HNBC social at Lapworth, we made a point of avoiding the Navigation, and instead went to the Wharf Tavern a few miles away at Hockley Heath. We were well looked after, with decent portions of good food at a far more reasonable price, and both staff and locals were very friendly.

As I say, I have absolutely no idea how that might work out for Bantering, and I also acknowledge that one persons limited experience of somewhere may be very different from someone else's. Maybe there are people who think the Navigation is fantastic, and the Wharf Tavern rather less so?

I can only report as we found from our experiences.

The Wharf. Not a lot of moorings, the ones outside the pub are usually full. There are some in the cutting if you like gloom

Richard

The Wharf. Not a lot of moorings, the ones outside the pub are usually full. There are some in the cutting if you like gloom

Richard

Fair enough - as I said I didn't look at that side of things. Sounds like the other suggestion is probably better, then?

Fair enough - as I said I didn't look at that side of things. Sounds like the other suggestion is probably better, then?

The pub is OK though, and no-one from Brum and points north would have to go through that bloody hand cranked lift bridge at the south end of the Swallow moorings

Richard

Yes mooring at the Wharf Inn is not great, and the cutting is gloomy and very muddy, not recommended. The moorings outside are usually filled with Alvechurch hire boats so Tawny would be a home. Whilst we have stopped there a number of times both by car and boat, I have always found it a bit uninspiring to be honest.

Warings Green is much better for mooring and is much quieter not being near a main road. There is also the Wharf opposite, which has services for boaters. For me the Blue Bell seems to not know what it is trying to be, traditionally it has been a cider house and bikers pub, therefore to be avoided by many, but now it seems that perhaps it is trying to change it's image a bit, but to what I am not sure! Would work for a banter though, and even closer to home than Lapworth for me :)