Gas Pipe Clips - How Often?

Featured Posts

My BSS is due and a local yard has suggested that copper gas pipes need to be clipped at 20cm centres. Mine are clipped at about 35mm centres. It passed as is 4 years ago, and I can't find anything in the guidance that specifies a maximum distance for clips. Except that a joint must be secured within 15cm.

Any suggestions?

In addition, where it is clipped, under the gunwales, it is with P Clips. I am not sure if they are metal or plastic, and would it be good if they had the rubber inserts...... Or does it not matter, as long as they are secure?

Many Thanks

Richard

It is a best practice recommendation that...
"To avoid vibration damage and early deterioration, we recommend that the fixings are not spaced more than 500mm (20 in) apart." (chapter 7.8, p23 of 2nd edition http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss%20guide%202005%20complete%20web.pdf)

As you say, it is a requirement that...
"All LPG pipe joints must have fixing clips attached no more than 150mm (6 in) from each joint connection and must not move under light manual force" (7.8.4)

Sounds like you will be fine.

Regards,

Joe

It is a best practice recommendation that...

"To avoid vibration damage and early deterioration, we recommend that the fixings are not spaced more than 500mm (20 in) apart." (chapter 7.8, p23 of 2nd edition http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss%20guide%202005%20complete%20web.pdf)

That is from the 2002 guide, so unless the wording also apperas in the 2005 version of the guide, does not apply to private boats though, (the 2002 guide relates to "non private") boats.

The only thing I can see about spacing for private boats is the other bit quoted.....

7.8.4 Are all LPG pipe joints secure, in good condition and competently made?
R Measure the distance fixing clips areattached from all joint connections.
All LPG pipe joints:

· must have fixing clips attached no more than 150mm from each joint connection and must not move under light manual force;

My BSS is due and a local yard has suggested that copper gas pipes need to be clipped at 20cm centres. Mine are clipped at about 35mm centres.

Blimey, that's a lot of clips? Or did you mean 35 cm?

I think your yard is getting mixed up between cm and inches.

All LPG pipe joints must have fixing clips attached no more than 150mm (6 in) from each joint connection and must not move under light manual force" (7.8.4)

So the clips either side of a joint can be 30cm apart. So why would you need them closer when there's no joint?

You will be fine.

With gas questions, we need to know which set of regulations you are attempting to comply with. Different sets of regs have different requirements.

For the purposes of BSS, see page 23 of the BSS Guide 2005:

"To avoid vibration damage and early deterioration, we
recommend that the fixings are not spaced more than 500mm
(20 in) apart."

MtB

With gas questions, we need to know which set of regulations you are attempting to comply with. Different sets of regs have different requirements.

For the purposes of BSS, see page 23 of the BSS Guide 2005:

"To avoid vibration damage and early deterioration, we

recommend that the fixings are not spaced more than 500mm

(20 in) apart."

MtB

But being pedantic (yet again!) that is a "best practice", not a hard requirement.

It is not referred to in the latest "BSS Examination Checking Procedures for Privately Owned and Managed Vessels", so I'm wondering if it will have survived into the latest edition of the actual guide (if they ever get around to publishing it!).

Given there is, (I think), no longer an up to date version of the actual guide on the BSS site, Gawd knows how you are actually supposed to go through the procedures of preparing a boat for a test at a moment. Unless I'm missing something, the current situation, with us only able to look at our own old saved versions, and where some things may now have changed, is hardly satisfactory.

My gas pipes are clipped every <350mm and 150mm either side of joints. I'm surprised to hear it's 500mm.

It depends which set of regs you are attempting to meet. BSS recommends 500mm. PD5482 also says 500mm. GSIUR will refer to a BS or code of practice somewhere, which changes according to the pipe diameter and material!

And by the way, PD5482 also says "all pipework should be accessible", even though I think Rob @ BSS says earlier in this thread not necessary for BSS.

MtB

MtB

There are obviously a number of areas where the discretion of the inspector applies. Where there is doubt, or where I don't get around to it, I'm going to put it in for the inspection, see what the inspector says, then comply with whatever he says is needed.

Just trying to be ahead of the game, so there is less, or nothing, to fail on.

If there's any pipe runs that will get covered over with panelling then a load of photos from all different angles might reassure a BSS examiner, also help any subsequent owners.

Also probably not a reg but along the same lines, I'd try to keep such pipe runs within 6" of top or bottom of the panel, less likely to get drilled into than if run across the middle.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete