Flexible Sanitry Hose

Biggles

Featured Posts

I am getting a distinct wiff of toilet which I think is coming form the flexible rubber sanitary hose. This is described in the suppliers catalogue as no smell etc. etc.

So the question is does this stuff start to get wiffy after only a year? If so what is a better solution for the discharge pipe.

Cassette lovers need not reply.

I know not what brand of hose you're using, but IO understand that all the flexible hoses will eventually start to whiff, particularly if they contain 'sludge' for any period of time.

I understand that the rigid plastic pipes (used in 'domestic plumbing') are much more whiff resistant

The brand is Vetus. Surely one of the primary functions of a waste discharge pipe should be to not leak smell!

One would think so, and one would also hope that an uber-expensive brand like Vetus would be the most 'whiff-resistant'

Have you had a conversation with Vetus yet?

No not yet. I was waiting to see responses here first as they will say for sure its my install, but if I have other comments I know I'm not alone.

No not yet. I was waiting to see responses here first as they will say for sure its my install, but if I have other comments I know I'm not alone.

Biggles, I watch and read with interest on this...as someone who is about to install their Vetus toilet system, and someone who is leaning towards installing it using solvent weld domestic piping, even though I have the Vetus flexible stuff as part of the system I bought...............`if this stuff only lasts a year before the smells start to permeate into the boat then rigid piping it will be!!!

Biggles, I watch and read with interest on this...as someone who is about to install their Vetus toilet system, and someone who is leaning towards installing it using solvent weld domestic piping, even though I have the Vetus flexible stuff as part of the system I bought...............`if this stuff only lasts a year before the smells start to permeate into the boat then rigid piping it will be!!!

I think I'm going to send an email to Vetus and see what the feedback is. I have seen the same hose FS but without the Vetus logo on it so I doubt this hose is unique to Vetus.

I spoke to Leesan about this and they say that all flexible pipe will leach smell over time. The time period will be dramatically reduced if you have waste material laying in the pipe. My original system had a bottom outlet connected via flexible pipe to the pump out fitting. They advised I changed the flexible pipe to solid solvent weld and the solid pipe should terminate higher than the height of the tank.

Cassette lovers need not reply.

Why not? I have a cassette which is connected to my toilet bowl with Vetus sanitary hose.

I had a whiff after a couple of years and I was told that the test is to wipe the hose with a damp cloth in several areas and then smell the cloth (away from the toilet area). It turned out that it wasn't the hose at all but the odour filter system. The charcoal filter had got damp and stopped working.

I've had the same section of hose there for 8 years (in which the waste lays) and it still doesn't smell. Flexible sanitary barrier hose can be compromised if the radius of any turns is much too tight and the barrier layer is torn or gets pulled too thin, but apart from that it should last for many years.

I spoke to Leesan about this and they say that all flexible pipe will leach smell over time. The time period will be dramatically reduced if you have waste material laying in the pipe.

That's not been my experience.

Edited by blackrose

The brand is Vetus. Surely one of the primary functions of a waste discharge pipe should be to not leak smell!

We have a maserator toilet with remote tank and the hoses run fairly close to the calorifier, which is situated under the bed alongside the waste tank.

I replaced my hoses for the third time with (expensive) Vetus hose last August hoping they would reduce this problem or at least increase the timespan before replacement is neccessary. (It does say on the instructions to keep the hose away from heat!).

I also further insulated the calorifier. However, after 7 months, there is now a very faint whiff, which is more evident when the calorifier is hot.

I will try wrapping the pipes with duct tape and see if there is any improvement. If not it will have to be rigid piping next time.

Tony

You could try carefully wrapping it in all-over layer of self adhesive aluminium tape.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Have you tried this? It sounds like it should work. I do have some on board as it happens. I suppose I could try on on a bit I can get hold of in the engine room.

I put my nose up against the hose in the engine and the hose STINKS sick.gif so armed with this I managed to get a bit out in the lounge area to sniff. This too STINKS sick.gif vile.

So on the solvent weld front what's the product to look for? Is there a smaller bore than the 38mm normal waste pipe?

Is the corrugated plastic flexible hose any better?

Right I did wonder if that was the stuff. Just imagined it would be a bit light weight for the task.

I wonder also it the blue Alkathene water main pipe would be any good. Its pretty thick and would require less joints, however the joints would need to me mechanical.

Or even Speedfit tube and connectors. ETA just rung them and they say no.

Edited by Biggles

If it has liquid laying in it, then probably yes. Solid pipe is better if you can.

I had Leesan Expensivbe stuff.

I changed it twice...huge 'fall' on it...no chance of liquid in it...and still it eventuially whiffed...

Funny thing...the vent pipe (with no liquid) was even worse..!

They said it couldn't be...so I sent it to them !!!

Now solvent weld...although you need very short 'flexible' tails...to absorb any boat impacts.

All fine now....

So from the replies so far its would seem all this flexible sanitary hose isn't fit for purpose. How the hell are they all getting away with it?

Moreover if its so bad why have I never come across such a combined damming of the stuff?

I used the very expensive Leesan pipe and fittings. Its much thicker walled than standard plumbing fittings. I wanted belt and braces because I didnt fancy trying to replace defective pipe once the black tank had been used. So far no smells. I do wonder how long a mild steel waste tank will last though? It has had at least 5 coats of bitumen paint before use.