12v adapter for laptop and good speakers required.

Zayna

Featured Posts

So I can watch films in bed, please can anyone recommend an adapter that will plug in the 12v bedroom socket and power my laptop, and also a decent pair of speakers that plug in the USB and don't need any extra power. Is that doable do you think?

Ta.

:cheers:

So I can watch films in bed, please can anyone recommend an adapter that will plug in the 12v bedroom socket and power my laptop, and also a decent pair of speakers that plug in the USB and don't need any extra power. Is that doable do you think?

Ta.

:cheers:

For the speakers - something like these should do it.

http://www.ebuyer.com/139131-logitech-black-s150-2-0-usb-speakers-980-000029?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

They get the audio and power from the USB. Not tried 'em just found them by googling 'USB powered speakers'

These are neater and get good reviews but need to use the audio connection as well as USB for the power.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-980-000513-Z120-Stereo-Speakers/dp/B00544XKK4/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Edited by The Dog House

But if the laptop is (say) a modern Dell, that will not do.

They are not fully universal, because some laptop manufacturers try very hard to lock you in to their own proprietary product.

OP does need to advise what laptop they have...... EDIT (as I see they just have! :lol:)

Edited by alan_fincher

I'm struggling with this, there doesn't seem to be one. A plug in 12v adapter thing I mean. All the ones I can find have crap reviews, I don't know what to doooooooooooooooooooo. :banghead:

Plug it into mains, charge it up while you are on the go and buy the speakers linked to.... :cheers:

Well it looks like it needs 19V, no less than 3.42A or 65W, and the plug is 5.5mm outside and 2.5mm inside:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271006422560

So just a matter of finding 12V adapter with those specs.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

On the face of it, the very discounted Maplin one that Richard10002 posted a link to will do it.

The published spec shows it will do 6 amps at 19 volts, and "power tip number 7" is 5.5mm external, 2.5mm internal.

But why on earth are they banging them out at about 10% of the more usual Maplin's pricing? Very odd, even by their standards!

But why on earth are they banging them out at about 10% of the more usual Maplin's pricing? Very odd, even by their standards!

Looks like being discontinued in favour of better ones. Still, I quite like the look of these types, not much more in price and with mains input option and USB output:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320868292686

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Looks like being discontinued in favour of better ones. Still, I quite like the look of these types, not much more in price and with mains input option and USB output:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320868292686

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

That looks like a very versatile charger.... I've got a Maplin one, and it's worked fine on a Samsung notebook and laptop for a few years. I'd probably buy the eBay one if looking today.

I have used the Maplin devices for a few years now and they are good.

Only possible weakness is no short circuit protection.

I have just got two more at the £2.99 price, to keep as spares.

I also suspect that maybe they are about to be replaced with a newer model, and am aware that very often new models are inferior to old models.

The only improvement is usually increased profitability.

The device copes well with the higher input voltages when battery charging, which can be 15.5v in my case.

Buy a couple now, £2.99 is a bargain.

............Dave

None available in London... I had one of these (different make) and it melted! I don't think it liked the fluctuating current on the boat. I did wonder what the smell was and then I saw smoke. Hopefully the 1 Maplins one I managed to get will be better. Of course you will also need a ciggie socket near the bed or replace the socket with a 3 pin plug or whatever sockets you have near to the bed.