Another .mobile broadband solution.

Roger Gunkel

Featured Posts

We have just moved to a new residential mooring after 8 years at Upware Marina in the Fens. As we run our business from our boat and internet connection is essential, we have used a very effective privately run local network which was wirelessly transmitted. We also had a BT landline with a box on a tree next to the boat for disconnection when we were cruising, but too slow for BT internet.

The problem has been that now we have moved permanently, we needed a second phone and a good internet connection for use with two laptops and an Ipad. As the new mooring is in the middle of nowhere, all the mobile providers were showing a very poor signal. Our O2 mobile gets a weak signal, but struggles with the internet, so I trawled around the phone shops for advice. 3, O2, Vodaphone, and Tmobile all said that their coverage maps showed very poor or no signal at our new location and that being on the boat low down would make matters worse. Vodaphone seemed to look the least poor, so I took a gamble on trying their service, but although I could get online, it took about 5 minutes to download 1 email. I cancelled that and tried a dongle that o2 had given me, with no connection at all.

Finally, I went back to 3, who told me that I was highly unlikely to get a signal or connection. As others nearby had 3 network phones that showed a weak signal and CWF member Ditchcrawler had picked up a 3 signal as he passed our mooring, I decided to take out a contract for a new phone to at least get a second number. The phone is a dual core Samsung Galaxy and is wifi hotspot enabled to allow up to five other simultaneous device connections. Even with one bar of signal strength, it has maintained a very stable broadband connection which is faster than I was getting at Upware on my £20pm connection.

Instead of paying over £40pm for my BT line plus my wireless broadband, I now have a £26pm contract, a new second number and phone, with multi device wireless mobile broadband all around the boat, unlimited data useage, 2000 free minutes and 5000 free texts. Unlike my previous setip, I can of course use the new connection and phone wherever I go!

The moral of the story is don't believe everything you are told, try for yourself and you can still cancel within 7 days if it's no good.

Roger

Coverage maps are notorious for either being over optimistic or showing no coverage where there is some.

Glad you are sorted.

I have recently given up my smart phone and gone 'basic' but I've recently been looking at the same phone (my daughters friend has one) and if it's the one I think it is it has a bigger screen than the ones I've previously used to and much better for my 'fat' fingers when typing on a touch screen, something I've previously disliked about touch screen phones and phone with titchy keys like the newer BlackBerrys.

I could be tempted back as you are not the first one to mention the benefit of the wi-fi hotspot feature.

I use the Three network as an emergency broadband connection where the primary wired connection has for some reason failed. With a good external aerial, and a decent 3G router, I can sometimes get a service almost as good as a rural broadband connection. It works best in rural areas though, as in towns there tends to be a lot of competition for the bandwidth.

OK - I've been sucked in -

gone for the cheaper option.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2428;jsessionid=CEC727F3339ABC459C4C1FE2BC037472?priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY

Ultimate Internet 100. £13 per month.

All-you-can-eat data

100 minutes

5,000 texts

24 months

Out of stock on line but I'd decided to go into my local three store and they had the same phone on the same deal. Not quite the 'all singing all dancing' S version that I think Roger went for but a nice phone and it copes better with my fat fingers than the last android phone I had.

Posting from the lappy at home via. it now and no not quite as fast as cable broad band but good enough.

:cheers:

OK -

get yourself an older model Nokia, Personally I'm done with 'smart'phones and got myself a new Nokia 6500 slide on eBay a couple of months ago. The mains charger works fine in the boat and at home, the 12V charger works fine in both the car and the boat and I can even make and receive phone calls, if I want to get really technical I can send texts too...ain't technology great....... ;)

It is isn't it :rolleyes:

Since I inherited my daughters iphone 3GS I've been totally seduced by it, couldn't imagine life with an ordinary phone now, with unlimited data on PAYG Giffgaff and a mifi in my pocket I'm rarely without broadband.

ETA: Next stop Galaxy Note so no more fat finger syndrome especially with the stylus. Mmmm.. luverly...

Edited by nb Innisfree

It is isn't it :rolleyes:

Like a flash Ange recalls a(nother) previous post I've made....

Changing your mind is not just a woman's prerogative don't you know...

ETA: Next stop Galaxy Note so no more fat finger syndrome especially with the stylus. Mmmm.. luverly...

There are actually some quite good 'fat finger' apps. for android phones.

Can't be doing with a stylus personally.

The readiness to change your mind is one of the most important things in life, enables you to move on instead of staying stubbornly in the past. I remember the ridicule I got at work in the 70s for buying a calculator! 'what use is one of those things?'

Then it was a mobile phone, 'ridiculous, look at those blokes walking round with one on their belt, what's the point? Right tossers'

Then it was computers 'you'll never catch me with one of those...'

There are actually some quite good 'fat finger' apps. for android phones.

Can't be doing with a stylus personally.

Use of stylus is optional but it's great for drawing things like diagrams.

Your post on my thread was singularly unhelpful and therefore stuck in my mind.

Good luck with your new phone and welcome back to the 21st century.

Use of stylus is optional but it's great for drawing things like diagrams.

I can see that - just can;t get me head around typing with one - one of Androids strongest features I'm learning to master is Swype along with some excellent variations of it available as an app.

Just read Biggles speed test post and tried one of my own on the new home mooring. It shows 4.7mbs download and 2.78mbs upload. That's considerably better than I was getting on the old mooring with my supposedly 8mbs package. The new mooring has 10ft banks either side of the river and a poor signal on the coverlage map, so I am highly impressed with the results. So far the signal has been stable throughout the day, when I previously had poor connection at peak times on the old system.

The Galaxy phone has a decent size pad on the large touch screen, so that even I can text with it, but the best thing is the hotspot facility which means that I am typing this post in the lounge at the front of the boat on the Ipad, while Claire is checking her emails in bed at he other end on her laptop.

I was really concerned about losing my BT phone and wireless internet when we moved, because of the possible effect on the business, but in fact I have a far better internet connection and 2000 minutes included with the contract and am saving £20 per month- brilliant :)

Roger

Your post on my thread was singularly unhelpful and therefore stuck in my mind.

Good luck with your new phone and welcome back to the 21st century.

It was just a bit of gentle ribbing which at the time you seemed to understand and appreciate but as ever..

hey ho...

It was just a bit of gentle ribbing which at the time you seemed to understand and appreciate but as ever..

hey ho...

Mine was intended to be but then you turned and snarled at me. Hey ho

Apologies for the derailment Roger - I'll say no more.

OK - I've been sucked in -

gone for the cheaper option.

http://store.three.c...lan=PAY_MONTHLY

Ultimate Internet 100. £13 per month.

All-you-can-eat data

100 minutes

5,000 texts

24 months

Out of stock on line but I'd decided to go into my local three store and they had the same phone on the same deal. Not quite the 'all singing all dancing' S version that I think Roger went for but a nice phone and it copes better with my fat fingers than the last android phone I had.

Posting from the lappy at home via. it now and no not quite as fast as cable broad band but good enough.

:cheers:

Hi dh

Does this phone act like a MIFI router then? I'm not quite up with all this mobile phone internet malarky, I do have a 3 dongle though I shove in the lappy laugh.gif

I've spent ages getting out of contracts, but that is a good deal you,ve got, can you run 2 laptops from that phone?

Mine was intended to be but then you turned and snarled at me. Hey ho

Apologies for the derailment Roger - I'll say no more.

Oh please - stop playing the victim Ange - why then the sarky 'roll eyes emotiocon'??

Anyway time for bed - thanks Roger for the heads up.

Hi dh

Does this phone act like a MIFI router then? I'm not quite up with all this mobile phone internet malarky, I do have a 3 dongle though I shove in the lappy laugh.gif

I've spent ages getting out of contracts, but that is a good deal you,ve got, can you run 2 laptops from that phone?

Yes - mine will connect to up to five devices wirelessly simultaneously.

Hi dh

Hya

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Ace. I signed up for a 2 year contract with 3 and it give me unlimited internet plus lots of calls and texts for £26 per month (I can't remember the exact number but it's more than I'll ever need!) We can create our own mobile hotspot and use 4 or 5 devices at the same time. I've found the 3 coverage really good, and we do move around a lot. Before I had a phone costing £15 per month and a dongle which gave us 15gb per month for £15.99. We're really chuffed because we've combined the two and saved ourselves £5 per month.

Oh please - stop playing the victim Ange - why then the sarky 'roll eyes emotiocon'??

Anyway time for bed - thanks Roger for the heads up.

Yes - mine will connect to up to five devices wirelessly simultaneously.

I'm such a numb nut, I've just purchased a Go Baby MIFI router laugh.gif Thing is I could do with another mobile phone No. though, just like Rogers' situation and I need to up our internet usage as we only have 5 gig a month, seems this will do the job. It'll be a bit like having a land line phone that would be dedicated to the boat that gives us unlimited BB on the boat as well. I didn't realise you could do this, how annoying, but good laugh.gif

Edited by Julynian

I'm such a numb nut, I've just purchased a Go Baby MIFI router laugh.gif Thing is I could do with another mobile phone No. though, just like Rogers' situation and I need to up our internet usage as we only have 5 gig a month, seems this will do the job. It'll be a bit like having a land line phone that would be dedicated to the boat that gives us unlimited BB on the boat as well. I didn't realise you could do this, how annoying, but good laugh.gif

Mine is 100 minutes pm (not much but I'm not one for gassing much) 5,000 texts pm (hell's teeth how many texts can one person send) but the best bit unlimited t'internet...£13 pcm. The phone was 'free'.

I reckon they were using the deal to shift some old stock but it's a good little phone and certainly better than other smatphones I've had

Edited by The Dog House

Mine is 100 minutes pm (not much but I'm not one for gassing much) 5,000 texts pm (hell's teeth how many texts can one person send) but the best bit unlimited t'internet...£13 pcm. The phone was 'free'.

I reckon they were using the deal to shift some old stock but it's a good little phone and certainly better than other smatphones I've had

I'll have to seek out the nearest 3 outlet, I too aren't worried about the minutes, we need the phone for incoming calls diverted from our BT business line, we already have 600 minutes between us on our individual mobiles. This will be an almost perfect solution at a very good price. Know what you mean about texts, shame you can't sell them on laugh.gif I've done about 3 texts all year so far laugh.gif Handset doesn't worry me either, I'm still using a 5yo Nokia slide phone laugh.gif Well it's still working! I could do with bigger keys though, that's for sure.

I'll let you know if I manage to get one, cheers.gif

Edited by Julynian

Some caution with all you can eat data, data only sims alegedly get priority over data with phone sims, I assume that's why unlimited data only sims are unavailable (unless I am mistaken), phone sim data can be slowed down in busy times though network suppliers deny it, but then they would wouldn't they?

Also if you're planning to tether or create a mobile hotspot only the "One Plan" supports this on 3. I fell foul of this recently when I bought a 3 contract through Tesco - they insisted I'd be able to but 3 disagreed. I disentangled myself from the contract with some difficulty.

Best to go to a 3 shop.

Martin, all my family are on 3 and my kids have 500 mins and 5000 texts and last month between the 3 lads they used 16850 texts!!!! YES sixteen thousand texts in a month between three lads!!!! My eldest used 5800, my youngest used 6090 and the middle one was the only one to keep inside his allowance using only 4960!

I asked how they managed to text so many times during a month and the answer is "WE TYPE FAST!!" :banghead:

Also if you're planning to tether or create a mobile hotspot only the "One Plan" supports this on 3. I fell foul of this recently when I bought a 3 contract through Tesco - they insisted I'd be able to but 3 disagreed. I disentangled myself from the contract with some difficulty.

Best to go to a 3 shop.

Hi Ange, cheers I recall the thread on it some months ago, I now realise what tethering is wacko.gif I'm already a 3 customer so hopefully can do it over the phone, the nearest 3 shop is 17 miles away in a town centre. Sods law laugh.gif I'll remember that though ONE PLAN cheers.gif

Hi Ange, cheers I recall the thread on it some months ago, I now realise what tethering is wacko.gif I'm already a 3 customer so hopefully can do it over the phone, the nearest 3 shop is 17 miles away in a town centre. Sods law laugh.gif I'll remember that though ONE PLAN cheers.gif

You have a PM