Porta Potti 265 repairable?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

We are currently crewing the historic boat Python which is owned and operated by Chesterfield Canal Trust.

It had been reported to us there was a problem with the flush prior to us boarding and there is a bag of bits we could use to fix it. The bellows were split butit had been thought that the pipe may have come off from under the bellows.

The volunteer crew who man this boat are almost all men so you will understand that I took the opportunity when we emptied it yesterday to thoroughly clean it prior to attempting a repair. Dave pulled out the old broken bellows so I could clean properly in that area as it was grim!

We realised the pipe at the base of the bellows was attached after all and so the loose rattling noise of a pipe we could hear in the casing must have been where it attaches to the squirty bit in the rim. I carried on cleaning paying special attention to the squirty bit which was also grim! That's when the squirty bit popped inside the chamber. Oops :-(

So I have retrived the squirty bit and we have replacement bellows and pipe. It appears we need someone with exceptionally small hands to put them throgh the hole where the bellows fit and replace the sqirty bit with the pipe re-attached.

At first glance I cannot see how this is possible but as replacing the loo is a cost to the charity I want to try and prevent does anyone have any tips or adviceon how to effect a repair?

Failing that has anyone got an old one they no longer want to replace it ?

I cannot believe I have just created a thread about toilets....I will go and sit on the norty step right now

That will be all the sensible poeple who have removed them and put a proper bog (a pump out) in place of them :)

I'm not sure but the third post in could be a record.... :rolleyes:

Anything man can make man can repair.....someone assembled it so it should be possible ..have one myself and the design is not rocket science

They are indeed basic but often these types of things are assembled with an adhesive that means you have to break them apart and damage them in the process.

Though looking at this - it shows the top tank as being three different numbered parts implying it can be split apart to gain access to the tube thingy (technical expression)... :unsure:

pp235.gif

Edited by The Dog House

Anything man can make man can repair.....

There yer go Cheshire, THAT appears the problem according to pistnbroke.... Its a woman trying to do it.

someone assembled it so it should be possible ..have one myself and the design is not rocket science

And here he seems volunteering to do it for you. Even better. Good man pistnbroke, the charity will be very grateful!!!!

:D

Mike

:-) :-) :-)

Mike you are in trubble when I see you!

That parts diagram is really helpful and as I am currently only accessing the net via my mobile phone it has saved me searching.

I know they can be purchased cheaply but "cheap" is a relative term and I am thinking how many bricks for Stavely Lock we could save.

As many of you know we have a perfectly good pump out on our own boat and it would be stupid to even consider anything else on Python

Now the fact that the top tank comes apart might be good but if we separated it then what sort of glue is used to put it back together?

Dave thinks if we attach the squirty thing to the pipe and wriggle it about we might be able to line it up with the hole and grab it. The problem is that we will need to ensure we have "been" first or we might have our legs crossed for a while while we wiggle it.

:-) :-) :-)

Mike you are in trubble when I see you!

That parts diagram is really helpful and as I am currently only accessing the net via my mobile phone it has saved me searching.

I know they can be purchased cheaply but "cheap" is a relative term and I am thinking how many bricks for Stavely Lock we could save.

As many of you know we have a perfectly good pump out on our own boat and it would be stupid to even consider anything else on Python

Now the fact that the top tank comes apart might be good but if we separated it then what sort of glue is used to put it back together?

Dave thinks if we attach the squirty thing to the pipe and wriggle it about we might be able to line it up with the hole and grab it. The problem is that we will need to ensure we have "been" first or we might have our legs crossed for a while while we wiggle it.

Maybe you need to use a wee pair of pliers to locate the 'squirty nozzle' :blush:

In a situation like Python I feel sure that the bucket n chuck it [Elsan] would be better. OK you are confronted with the content but cleaning is oh so simple.By far the best option with blokes about. I would never bother with anything more complex,tis what I use on Halsall.[almost too much information]

CR - looking at the site that diagram came from --

http://www.miriad-products.com/section.php?xSec=283&xPage=1

It actually doesn't show in the listing as being available as three separate bits (even though the diagram shoes it numbered as so) - it just shows a 'Porta Potti 265 water tank' as a complete unit - often these bits bought as 'parts' can be nearly as expensive as replacing the whole unit though... :(

If you do manage to separate the parts of the tank without damaging the tank then any strong waterproof adhesive/sealant should do it.

The flush tube/nozzle assembly is shown as a spare on the official Thetford site and is available from e.g. Bradtech. It looks like you can make up the assembly and poke it through the hole in the rim; retrieve the tube using a flexible claw tool and attach to pump.

Or possibly, tie string to pipe with weight (e.g. a nut) at other end, insert weight into tank then invert tank and shake until weight falls through pump aperture?

I have not done this job but previous Thetford parts came with fitting instructions so a friendly stockist may just give you a copy of the instructions?

HTH Alan

So I have retrived the squirty bit and we have replacement bellows and pipe. It appears we need someone with exceptionally small hands to put them throgh the hole where the bellows fit and replace the sqirty bit with the pipe re-attached.

I'd feed some solid core fencing wire or copper wire thro the hole in the rim, then thread the end of the flush outlet tube onto the wire, maybe tape the tube to the wire too, and fit the bellows.

Should then make it much easier to feed the flush outlet tube through the hole in the rim. Also try a google on 'thetford bellows replacement', might get some useful tips.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

I had to replace the bellows on my 265 a few days ago. The new bellows came with a 2 sided instruction sheet.One side for the bellow the other for the flush tube. I also managed to dislocate the flush tube in putting the new bellows and thought I was in trouble but by rotating the flush tube, in position in the top tank, before attaching it to the bellows I was easily able with a pair of long nose pliers (probably essential) to pull the tube nozzle back into place on the bowl edge.

I have a scan of the Thetford instructions that came with the new bellows and can E-mail them out to anyone but I do not know how to put them on this site.

Thank you. I think I have been going wrong by trying to relocate the squirty bit with the rubber stopper still attached meaning it has to go in from inside. Perhaps I will PM you for those instructions then take the squirty bit apart.

I don't seem able to PM you. I get an error message "array"

no clue what that is all about!

may try later when I have a better phone dignal

I don't seem able to PM you. I get an error message "array"

no clue what that is all about!

may try later when I have a better phone dignal

....better dignal won't help - he's a new member - needs 5? posts for PMs :rolleyes:

I have now managed to upload the instruction scans to the Gallery. They are in my folder: Quantock's pictures. I hope they are readable and some use.Use the enlarging tool to get a really large more readable view.

Edited by quantock