Charging mobile phone

Ange

Featured Posts

Following on from our previous mobile phone problems I've now got a new Samsung Galaxy Ace which finally has the contract I need.

The problem is it won't charge up via the 12v cigarette lighter socket. It charges via the 240v lead if we switch the inverter on. Bizarrely (at lease it seems bizarre to us) it will charge using the same lead that connects to the 12v cigarette lighter adapter if I plug is into the laptop USB port instead. We have another identical phone and I've tested the sockets and leads with that one and it charges fine, so it's not the connections, it's definitely the phone.

So we can only charge the phone up if we either switch the inverter on or fire up the laptop.

We're thinking we need to pay Tesco another visit, but we can't get our heads round why this should happen.

Any ideas?

Cheers folks

I have the same problem with my BlackBerry in the car. My presumption is that the gubbins inside the lighter socket adapter doesn't produce sufficient current at the USB output, whereas the USB port in the laptop and the mains adapter do.

In my case the adapter I use was supplied with a handsfree kit, not the phone, so I've assumed the required outputs are different.

If your adapter is the pukka one for the phone, try running the engine up to be sure you're getting a full 12v at the socket.

Edit: On the BB, the phone will ask if I want to Synch, use the Memory or just charge it. Be sure there isn't a similar question being asked that prevents the charging process from starting.

Edited by twbm

I have the same problem with my BlackBerry in the car. My presumption is that the gubbins inside the lighter socket adapter doesn't produce sufficient current at the USB output, whereas the USB port in the laptop and the mains adapter do.

In my case the adapter I use was supplied with a handsfree kit, not the phone, so I've assumed the required outputs are different.

If your adapter is the pukka one for the phone, try running the engine up to be sure you're getting a full 12v at the socket.

Edit: On the BB, the phone will ask if I want to Synch, use the Memory or just charge it. Be sure there isn't a similar question being asked that prevents the charging process from starting.

I forgot to say we tried it earlier plugged into the car cigarette lighter socket when the car engine was running and it still didn't work. Again the other phone worked fine so it's not the lead or the sockets.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

I forgot to say we tried it earlier plugged into the car cigarette lighter socket when the car engine was running and it still didn't work. Again the other phone worked fine so it's not the lead or the sockets.

And I missed the 'identical phone' bit too. Only thing to add is that software is always changing so two apparently identical phones might just be annoyingly different under the bonnet. Or one of them might be good old fashioned broken!

i have a galaxy europa and that charges via the phones mini connection i have a straight 240v charger, a 12v charger direct to phone, a 12v charger adapter to usb and usb to phone lead, and a usb to phone lead

1 is plugged in to mains in bedroom, 2 is in the cigarette socket in car (put in specially for it) 3 is in the van and finally 4 is plugged into computer in lounge.

i would visit someone like Carphone warehouse and see if it the wrong lead.

If you have 2 phones, try swapping the batts over.

cheers,

Pete.

And I missed the 'identical phone' bit too. Only thing to add is that software is always changing so two apparently identical phones might just be annoyingly different under the bonnet. Or one of them might be good old fashioned broken!

The "old" phone was bought in February so I doubt they've changed since then - I might be wrong though!

i have a galaxy europa and that charges via the phones mini connection i have a straight 240v charger, a 12v charger direct to phone, a 12v charger adapter to usb and usb to phone lead, and a usb to phone lead

1 is plugged in to mains in bedroom, 2 is in the cigarette socket in car (put in specially for it) 3 is in the van and finally 4 is plugged into computer in lounge.

i would visit someone like Carphone warehouse and see if it the wrong lead.

It's a micro USB connection - we've got a couple of USB/micro USB leads, one 3 way multi socket with a USB point and a cigarette lighter adapter with a USB socket. We generally charge our phones, all of which have the micro USB connection, off the USB socket on the multi socket. I can't think why this phone would need a different lead, especially as it's identical to one of our other phones which works fine off the same connection.

The "old" phone was bought in February so I doubt they've changed since then - I might be wrong though!

It's a micro USB connection - we've got a couple of USB/micro USB leads, one 3 way multi socket with a USB point and a cigarette lighter adapter with a USB socket. We generally charge our phones, all of which have the micro USB connection, off the USB socket on the multi socket. I can't think why this phone would need a different lead, especially as it's identical to one of our other phones which works fine off the same connection.

Is it the device that converts the 12V cigar socket to the 5V USB gone faulty ?

I have an HTC with a micro USB, like my last Nokia use to have, and the HTC lead USB - Micro USB works fine from a PC or an adaptor, but the identical looking Nokia lead which actually lights the phone's charging light up, won't actually charge the phone...

I think the micro USB has 5 pins and the charging pins are multi-functional, and are not the same use in the Nokia and HTC phones... weird its not a standard though...

Nick

Is it the device that converts the 12V cigar socket to the 5V USB gone faulty ?

I don't think so because the other two phones, one of them identical, still charge up ok on this set up.

I have the Galaxy Ace and had problems with the 12v. It charges but not properly and doesn't hold the charge. I bought a 240v charger to see if that worked as I thought I had a problem with the phone, but its fine charging with 240v. I think the phone doesn't like 12v charging.

I have the Galaxy Ace and had problems with the 12v. It charges but not properly and doesn't hold the charge. I bought a 240v charger to see if that worked as I thought I had a problem with the phone, but its fine charging with 240v. I think the phone doesn't like 12v charging.

Ah that's interesting! A bit of a bugger when you live on a boat! The idea of firing up the inverter to charge a 5v appliance by ramping it up to 240v first seems like lunacy!

If you have 2 phones, try swapping the batts over.

cheers,

Pete.

Sorry Pete - nearly missed your post! Nice idea but I just tried that and it didn't work.

Thanks anyway :)

I worked this out for my HTC desire. The Samsung may be different, but probably similar.

A bog-standard USB port is specified to supply half an amp of power. Plugging the phone into such a port will cause it to take half an amp. That's enough to charge the batteries (slowly) if the phone's not in use. If you're using the phone instensively, ie Google navigator, half an amp isn't enough, and the batteries will continue to discharge, but more slowly.

The phone can take an amp of power from the USB port if it's safe to do it. That charges the batteries faster, and keeps up with the phone's use when using navigator. The 240v charger supplied with the phone can supply one amp, and signal the phone of that capability.

You can tell how much power the phone is getting by going to Settings->About Phone->Battery Status. If it's getting half an amp, the status will be Charging(USB). If it's getting an amp, the status will be Charging(AC).

The cheapy eBay 12v-to-USB charger I bought is marked as being capable of supplying one amp, but when the phone was plugged in it only took half an amp.

It turns out that for a USB port which doesn't have a computer attached, but just supplies power, the way the phone works out how much power it can use, is via the USB data pins. These are pins 2 and 3 of four, in the middle of the row. If those pins are connected together, the phone takes one amp, is they're not connected, it takes half an amp.

I dismantled my 12v charger and connected pins 2 and 3, and hey-presto, the phone says Charging(AC) and I have enough power to use navigator or wireless tethering.

So the take-home message is that smartphones take different amounts of power depending on what they're plugged into. If you're not into dismantling chargers and soldering, the best bet may be hang the cost and buy the phone manufacturer's car charger.

MP.

Just charge mine when we are cruising and have the travel power on.

Our phone is our internet connection and it just eats the batteries, so that's not possible.

The other thing is long car journeys and when we're away camping, we rely on charging the phone up on the car socket. Taking the inverter with us in the car is definitely mad!

A trip back to Tesco to change the handset is the answer I fear.

This might be a red herring but I changed to a different model of Blackberry earlier this year and although the socket on the side of the phones look idetical, the new one doesn't charge on the "old" 230 lead although the elad fits the phone. It might be that although your phones were purchased within months of one another, something has changed inside (to put it technically) which means that you need a newer 12v charger. This is a pain as it is not something you can test in a shop as they don't have a 12v supply. Perhpas you can find another boater who has the same phone and try their lead. As i said, probably a red herring though.

Haggis

This might be a red herring but I changed to a different model of Blackberry earlier this year and although the socket on the side of the phones look idetical, the new one doesn't charge on the "old" 230 lead although the elad fits the phone. It might be that although your phones were purchased within months of one another, something has changed inside (to put it technically) which means that you need a newer 12v charger. This is a pain as it is not something you can test in a shop as they don't have a 12v supply. Perhpas you can find another boater who has the same phone and try their lead. As i said, probably a red herring though.

Haggis

Thanks Haggis, anything's possible at the moment so all suggestions welcome :)

We could ask them in the shop to lend us a lead to take down to the car and try out - not sure if they'll go along with that though.

Anyone near Nantwich who uses a Galaxy Ace phone?

We could ask them in the shop to lend us a lead to take down to the car and try out - not sure if they'll go along with that though.

Anyone near Nantwich who uses a Galaxy Ace phone?

Try a google search on 'samsung galaxy ace 12v charging problem', it seems some 12V to USB adapters are marginal with this model and a different (higher current?) one may work.

cheers, Pete.

Our phone is our internet connection and it just eats the batteries, so that's not possible.

The other thing is long car journeys and when we're away camping, we rely on charging the phone up on the car socket. Taking the inverter with us in the car is definitely mad!

A trip back to Tesco to change the handset is the answer I fear.

How about one of those "double USB plugs to one micro USB plug" leads used on e.g. external HDDs ? - I am not sure if they exist to MICRO USB plugs but I have one for MINI USB plugs on my older ext HDD

Nick

OK -

get yourself an older model Nokia, Personally I'm done with 'smart'phones and got myself a new Nokia 6500 slide on eBay a couple of months ago. The mains charger works fine in the boat and at home, the 12V charger works fine in both the car and the boat and I can even make and receive phone calls, if I want to get really technical I can send texts too...ain't technology great....... ;)

Our Samsung Galaxy refuses to charge when using the supplied USB lead via a 12v usb cigarette adapter.

So we bought a dedicated Samsung 12v car charger like this one 160632643012 from ebay.

It now charges great and very fast.

Hope this helps you, Chris.

I have for work an MC35 from Motorola -it interact with their software system. It charges through Mini USB. Using it's dedicated charger it gains about 2% battery power per minute, but if the screen lights up that goes down to bout 1% per minute. Off most other chargers even those which say the supply 2amps the phone charges so slowly that it doesn't keep up with it's consumption unless the phone is turned right OFF. There is something about the connections in the miniUSB connector. I suspect that MooninPapa's theory above may be close to the mark. Short the two data cores and the phone understands that the charger can supply 2 amps and procedes to charge.

I worked this out for my HTC desire. The Samsung may be different, but probably similar.

A bog-standard USB port is specified to supply half an amp of power. Plugging the phone into such a port will cause it to take half an amp. That's enough to charge the batteries (slowly) if the phone's not in use. If you're using the phone instensively, ie Google navigator, half an amp isn't enough, and the batteries will continue to discharge, but more slowly.

The phone can take an amp of power from the USB port if it's safe to do it. That charges the batteries faster, and keeps up with the phone's use when using navigator. The 240v charger supplied with the phone can supply one amp, and signal the phone of that capability.

You can tell how much power the phone is getting by going to Settings->About Phone->Battery Status. If it's getting half an amp, the status will be Charging(USB). If it's getting an amp, the status will be Charging(AC).

The cheapy eBay 12v-to-USB charger I bought is marked as being capable of supplying one amp, but when the phone was plugged in it only took half an amp.

It turns out that for a USB port which doesn't have a computer attached, but just supplies power, the way the phone works out how much power it can use, is via the USB data pins. These are pins 2 and 3 of four, in the middle of the row. If those pins are connected together, the phone takes one amp, is they're not connected, it takes half an amp.

I dismantled my 12v charger and connected pins 2 and 3, and hey-presto, the phone says Charging(AC) and I have enough power to use navigator or wireless tethering.

So the take-home message is that smartphones take different amounts of power depending on what they're plugged into. If you're not into dismantling chargers and soldering, the best bet may be hang the cost and buy the phone manufacturer's car charger.

MP.

Sorry Moomin - another post I missed because I was cross posting! Some really good info there that definitely eases my bafflement!

How about one of those "double USB plugs to one micro USB plug" leads used on e.g. external HDDs ? - I am not sure if they exist to MICRO USB plugs but I have one for MINI USB plugs on my older ext HDD

Nick

Thanks Nick - I'll look into that.

OK -

get yourself an older model Nokia, Personally I'm done with 'smart'phones and got myself a new Nokia 6500 slide on eBay a couple of months ago. The mains charger works fine in the boat and at home, the 12V charger works fine in both the car and the boat and I can even make and receive phone calls, if I want to get really technical I can send texts too...ain't technology great....... ;)

Can you create a mobile hotspot with older model Nokias? We've done away with the dongle and just have the phone now for internet as well as phone calls and texts saving ourselves £7 per month and gaining all you can eat data.

Our Samsung Galaxy refuses to charge when using the supplied USB lead via a 12v usb cigarette adapter.

So we bought a dedicated Samsung 12v car charger like this one 160632643012 from ebay.

It now charges great and very fast.

Hope this helps you, Chris.

Yep I'm now thinking buying a Samsung car charger is the next step - even if it doesn't work you can never have too many chargers!

Thanks again folks for the input.

Can you create a mobile hotspot with older model Nokias? We've done away with the dongle and just have the phone now for internet as well as phone calls and texts saving ourselves £7 per month and gaining all you can eat data.

No - but I can charge it on the boat - :P