Lifeboat conversions

talisman

Featured Posts

While nosing through Apollo, i noticed ex oil rig lifeboats for sale. Has anyone experience of converting one of these to live on? If they can be dropped off the side of a rig .they must be made of pretty substantial glass fibre. I have seen a couple of these brightly painted orange boats on the cut,quite like the look of them [im weird].I beleive the max length is 32ft but they are wider than narrowboats.They are cheap to buy and for the single handed boater like me, well its just a thought.I just like the idea of no rust problems and owning something a little different. Any comments?

While nosing through Apollo, i noticed ex oil rig lifeboats for sale. Has anyone experience of converting one of these to live on? If they can be dropped off the side of a rig .they must be made of pretty substantial glass fibre. I have seen a couple of these brightly painted orange boats on the cut,quite like the look of them [im weird].I beleive the max length is 32ft but they are wider than narrowboats.They are cheap to buy and for the single handed boater like me, well its just a thought.I just like the idea of no rust problems and owning something a little different. Any comments?

You've been Tango'd <_<

There's a place near where my sister lives on the Dornoch Firth that has a few of these in a field, and I've often toyed with the idea of getting one to convert. I think you'll find though that the reason they are so cheap is the colour- you really would have to repaint it, and the cost of conversion. You would need windows for a start and I think the inside is like a bus ie two rows of seats but you could say it's a blank canvas so why not? You might do better with an enquiry on the YBW forum, I think there are some case histories of people converting these to river/coastal cruisers.

I quite like the look of them too.

I suppose they're Category A, suitable for the open sea?

As they're not recreational craft, they're outside the scope of the RCD. I believe the relevant standards for ship's lifeboats are defined by one of the SOLAS conventions, but it's getting a bit out of my comfort zone, and lifeboats for rigs are even further from my field of knowledge.

I do know that if converted to recreational purposes, they would fall under the RCD, and need appropriate paperwork and certification (if you wanted it to be more than Cat. D, where you could self-certify). This is probably why there aren't too many conversions out there (along with the practical difficulties and the ready availability of GRP motor cruisers that are likely to be easier to refit and more suitable).

There is one on the Kennet and Avon, and whilst I've never seen it under way, there is no doubt it is moored in a different place every time I see it!

Yes, he travels with his girlfriend an her boat. I think he somtimes tows her nb with it. As the controls are in the top, by the hatch, he often steers it whilst reclining on the middle of the roof :-()

Moved around on the K and A?

Must be several different boats. :P

<With a frown the Coat Faerie takes the creased list of 'Notifiable Jests, Japes and Punes' from his greasy back pocket. His lips move silently as he runs his dirty fingernail down the list, pauses at 'New Items' and smiles. He hands Cereal Tiller his coat, grasps him firmly by collar and waistband and throws him out>

Richard

Edited by RLWP
  • Greenie 3

As they're not recreational craft, they're outside the scope of the RCD. I believe the relevant standards for ship's lifeboats are defined by one of the SOLAS conventions, but it's getting a bit out of my comfort zone, and lifeboats for rigs are even further from my field of knowledge.

I do know that if converted to recreational purposes, they would fall under the RCD, and need appropriate paperwork and certification (if you wanted it to be more than Cat. D, where you could self-certify). This is probably why there aren't too many conversions out there (along with the practical difficulties and the ready availability of GRP motor cruisers that are likely to be easier to refit and more suitable).

RCD only applies if you want to sell it at some future date. Otherwise it's just a BSC or not even that if you use it at sea. I think if you got one of these you wouldn't be thinking of ever selling it!

If it is the same type I did my offshore survival training in I am fascinated that they are being converted to leisure use!!

We were dropped into quite a rough sea in it (which really hurt!!!) and it nearly turned upside down, which they are designed to do, and we spent a few very uncomfortable hours bobbing about sealed inside!

I don't think the word 'leisure' came into the conversation and I recall quite a few colleagues regretting having had a cooked breakfast :)

Very distinctive colour, you wouldn't miss it on the way back from the pub !!!

RCD only applies if you want to sell it at some future date. Otherwise it's just a BSC or not even that if you use it at sea. I think if you got one of these you wouldn't be thinking of ever selling it!

True, it does only apply if it's placed on the market within the EU.

The vast majority of boats are sold eventually, and if somebody hasn't done all of the RCD stuff when they converted it, getting it done when they do want to get rid of it would be expensive and time consuming.

True, it does only apply if it's placed on the market within the EU.

The vast majority of boats are sold eventually, and if somebody hasn't done all of the RCD stuff when they converted it, getting it done when they do want to get rid of it would be expensive and time consuming.

But if they wait 5 years they don't need to.

But if they wait 5 years they don't need to.

As far as I'm aware, that only applies to boats built by their first owner, I'm not sure it applies at all to conversions of working craft. The situation is different to fitting out a shell or sailaway, as that will already have Annexe 3(a) paperwork.

I will admit, I'm not an expert in RCD matters, but a fellow surveyor I know is (in fact he does nothing else), so if I get a chance I'll ask him.

A fine vessel indeed!!

as this craft was designed for temporary SUB-mersion,it would be prudent to consider a colour change?

To satin-black,add a CONning tower,what have we got? :captain: ya,bitter?schnell city man!

I have just seen one moored at Huntington on the Gt Ouse

• 1 year later...

Surley if you got one of the very large lifeboats then a conversion would be much easier and more roomy plus it could be divided ito sections like living quater, heads, bunks all the normal stuff you find on pleasure craft

smiley_offtopic.gif

Not sure using your email address as your forum user name is a good idea - prepare to be spammed to within an inch of yer life!

But welcome to the forum anyway.

ed. I see it's been changed.

Edited by The Dog House