Car Insurance

Breals

Featured Posts

Oh dear. Phoned Tesco to update my details (giving them my Mum's address, which is usual in this sort of circumstance). But oops! told them I was on a narrowboat. Should have just fibbed! Oops; they can't insure me now!

Norwich Union direct had a similar story.

Does anyone know of a sympathetic insurer for 3rd party cover?

Sometimes I wish I could get rid of the bl##dy car once and for all, but I need it for work!

Edited by Breals

OOOOh.. once you start uttering those forbidden words "I live on a narrowboat" you may as well say " Im an axe murderer".... to be honest....

Unfortunately society dictates we should all have post codes and land based telephone numbers etc etc electoral roles etc.... so your on a looser saying otherwise :blink:

Weve all done it..................................once.

Moored outside a pub for 6 months, then towpath winter moorings. Computer says 'No'.... cough!

I suppose all this would have come out if I had claimed or been claimed against, which would have been worse.

Might have to get someone else to insure my car with me as a nominated driver...

Edited by Breals

quote: I suppose all this would have come out if I had claimed or been claimed against, which would have been worse.

Why would it?.... your allowed to go to your boat and spend time there.....its just that you haven't said exactly how much time....

At the end of the day, the powers that be, don't like people being classed as 'no fixed abode's' type of thing, and haven't really catered for people who's houses move....so I don't really see a way of doing it differently unless you give up your car.....

People that live on boats, have to do things a certain way because there's no other choice.....

Another thing, if you live on your boat, your drivers licence should have your home address on....right? but they don't see boats as 'homes' so therefore if you have any other address on your licence other than where you are living, that is classed as illegal! I'm sure Jon will concur on that point.....so your already doing what you shouldn't be doing:) if you follow?

good innit?

There are instances where unless you tell them your still living at your parents, etc., it causes a sh*&6storm for yourself........... in a nutshell.

Edited by minerva

And I suppose that now banks etc. are insisting on utility bills and 95 proofs of identity, things are only going to get worse.

And when computer systems are credit-checking you and cross-referencing against God only knows how many other Big Brother databases, no-fixed-abodes who are trying their best to be decent, upstanding, law-abiding citizens must cause these systems no end of problems. Insufficient data - does not compute.

I think we'll stick with bricks and mortar for the forseeable future.

Breals

Be carefull with that one mate.

When my lad was 19 his mother insured his car for him coz it was cheeper with him as a named driver, he had a bang that was not his fault and the insuranc co would not pay up coz the log book was in his name and the insurance in his mothers, they gave him back his payments.

I got the solicotor to have a look at it and he said we had no case.

Moley: you are quite right.... you are well and truely up the creek, for quit a few things when it comes down to it, when you reside on a boat....

Its much better not to live on your boat but just spend a lot of time on it and still have your land based address..... (grins)

Nothing to do with living afloat, just want a rant about car insurance.

Mine has just been renewed. I'm with Admiral, like the policy, wanted to stay with 'em, got my renewal notice, numbers acceptable though with £150 voluntary excess on top of £100 compulsory.

Lynn did the confused dot com bit and found cover with another company for twenty quid less and no voluntary excess. I read their small print; many hidden nasties :cheers:

Had to phone Admiral to change card details so while I was on, asked “is that your best offer?”, told 'em someone else was cheaper (neglected to mention the alarm bells :blink: )

Surprise surprise - Admiral could drop the excess and save me twenty-two quid!

Why couldn't they say so in the first place? :blink:

Do they just have to ‘try it on’ :blink:

Nice one. Moley, just tried the same trick and got my premium down from £168 to £150! Pint of Joe Holt's Rough Mild waiting for you in the Virtual Pub.

Any other areas in which your deviousness could be better than my naive simplicity?

have you tried confused.com?

we got car insurance about 100 quid cheaper than anyone else could come up with on there, you input one lot of details and they try lots and lots of online insurers for the best price........

everyone should shop online for everything we've saved BIG amounts by doing that.....with everything...

Lynn did the confused dot com bit

Pay attention Minerva :blink:

everyone should shop online for everything we've saved BIG amounts by doing that.....with everything...

Quite agree, can also spend loads of dosh you ain't got on stuff you don't really need :cheers:

Edited by Moley

Well, I did get it sorted in the end... phoned A1 insurance brokers who called round the carious companies and came up with a quote from Highway Insurance, who apparently don't care whether you live 'on water, on land, or in the air'. All they needed was a postcode where the car would be kept.

Of course the brokers will take their cut, so it will be more expensive, but worth it for not having the hassle of having to ring around explaining the situation. It worked out a fair bit more expensive than my previous insurance, but after all the spending I've needed to do on the boat, it seems very small beer.

Edited by Breals

Why bother with car insurance - I don't. It has saved my hundreds of pounds over the last 15 years not having to bother with car insurance....................

.............only joking, but if some can 'choose' not to licence their boats, what's wrong with me 'choosing' not to insure my car??

:closedeyes: Nothing to do with car insurance but it has been great fun telling the credit card company that we were moving onto our boat without a forwarding address. We are using a friends address for our post but I do not feel they needed to know that.

Stuart :unsure:

All other 'utilities' like the bank, credit card companies, my boat insurance etc, were fine about my residential status and I didn't even have to tell any porkies - only the car insurance had problems, because of the way they work out your premium.

quote: I suppose all this would have come out if I had claimed or been claimed against, which would have been worse.

Why would it?.... your allowed to go to your boat and spend time there.....its just that you haven't said exactly how much time....

At the end of the day, the powers that be, don't like people being classed as 'no fixed abode's' type of thing, and haven't really catered for people who's houses move....so I don't really see a way of doing it differently unless you give up your car.....

People that live on boats, have to do things a certain way because there's no other choice.....

Another thing, if you live on your boat, your drivers licence should have your home address on....right? but they don't see boats as 'homes' so therefore if you have any other address on your licence other than where you are living, that is classed as illegal! I'm sure Jon will concur on that point.....so your already doing what you shouldn't be doing:) if you follow?

good innit?

There are instances where unless you tell them your still living at your parents, etc., it causes a sh*&6storm for yourself........... in a nutshell.

And this causes problems for someone I know..................He`s 95 :closedeyes:

• 7 months later...

Our car insurance is due for renewal soon. Thought we would phone around to see if our current insurer (Direct Line) is still competitive. But when it came to our address, they said they did not insure cars with an address of a marina. We could just advise them of our house address, but since this will soon (hopefully) be let out, this is probably not a good long term solution.

Our marina has pass code barrier entrance and a number of CCTV cameras, and our car is, I am sure, more secure at the marina than parked in our house driveway, just over the road from a pub!!.

We had no problem with banks etc. I guess because the marina has a Post code.

Tempted to renew with Direct Line, then advise them of address change.

Car log book still has our house address!!

Any thoughts / advice

Ian

Elessina

Why bother with car insurance - I don't. It has saved my hundreds of pounds over the last 15 years not having to bother with car insurance....................

.............only joking, but if some can 'choose' not to licence their boats, what's wrong with me 'choosing' not to insure my car??

Because you choosing not to insure your car is the same as you choosing not to insure your boat. You choosing not to TAX your car is the same as you choosing not to License your boat.

Failure to insure your vehicle (boat or car) means you risk an innocent third party losing out financially because of your stupidity.

Failure to tax your vehicle (boat or car) means you risk losing your vehicle to the authorities because of your stupidity.

Confusing the two just confirms your stupidity.

This post is also available in crayon for the hard of thinking.

Edited by carlt

• 4 weeks later...

I know the original topic is nearly a year old now but try Sheilas Wheels. Not sure if they ONLY insure female drivers but as it is my partners car they didn't care where we lived, just the 'home' address of the car - our marina mooring. They were quite happy to accept me - a mere male :D on the policy as a named driver.

My own car insurance - I am a driving instructor seem to have no problem either as it is a business policy. This may help anyone who is self employed and insures their car for business use ?