toilet trouble

julia

Featured Posts

Does anybody have a normal (terrestial) toilet on their boat? I have a fitted toilet with a small waste outlet and a similar portable one. When you "pull the chain " - #2's remain! What is the answer?

I don't know the answer, but since moving to Ranco Village I have noticed that the 'exit route' is far smaller (less than half) than is the norm in the UK. Having said that everything just goes. Maybe in this case size does matter!

I don't know the answer, but since moving to Ranco Village I have noticed that the 'exit route' is far smaller (less than half) than is the norm in the UK. Having said that everything just goes. Maybe in this case size does matter!

In Europe the requirments for a WC outlet is only 3" or 82mm diameter (according to the BS EN 12056:2) IN the UK will still use 100mm. The problem stems usually from the amount of water from the cistern discharging into the pan. Are you using a cistern? What capacity? have you had this problem before?

Just fitted a vetus electric wc to the boat I am building.

Yesterday my virgin wc was unfortunetely used due to a unexpected call!!

(not by me )

When installing I noticed the toilet seat has an unusual shape which

by design positions ones posture directly above said discharge hole!!!

Still takes a few flushes and hence more water to get rid of the blighter!!!

When you think about the amount of water this jobby takes to get rid of the

jobby it makes me wonder whether a modern domestic wc would use less

water!!!

I think part of the arrangement criteria from visiting guests will be make

sure they go before the come to see me!!!

Glenn

Does anybody have a normal (terrestial) toilet on their boat? I have a fitted toilet with a small waste outlet and a similar portable one. When you "pull the chain " - #2's remain! What is the answer?

Hi Julia

Not a lot of information here, can I assume that the toilet is sitting on top of your waste tank, and that the cistern is of normal domestic size. A normal domestic cistern uses 2 gallons of water per flush which will be an excessive amount of water usage for a narrow boat. It is possible that the ball valve has been adjusted in the cistern to reduce the quantity of water per flush and now for some reason is not delivering enough water to push the solids through the reduced sized outlet. Domestic toilets have a 4''outlet with a 2 gallon flush and these do not always flush completely first time so it seems strange that someone has used this arrangement with a reduced outlet for a narrow boat. Reduced outlet toilets usually flush through a macerator first which then allows it to be pumped out through the smaller outlet. Are you sure that your toilet is not of the macerator type? are there any wires at the back of the toilet?

Edited by Big COL

When you think about the amount of water this jobby takes to get rid of the

jobby it makes me wonder whether a modern  domestic wc would use less

water!!!

Glenn

New cisterns for domestic use uses 6.0 litres of water old types used 9 litres. Apparently the domestic pan was redesigned to allow maximum less water but better disposal! All crap, :D if you ask me.

A Vetus macerator toilet uses I think 3.5 litres per flush just over half a standard domestic.

Guest st170dw

Mine is one of these electric ones with a macerator.

Sounds just like one of the ones on the Channel Tunnel or from an aircraft. I make sure I stand up before I flush - I feel as though I could end up in the tank in little pieces if I wasn't careful!

New cisterns for domestic use uses 6.0 litres of water old types used 9 litres. Apparently the domestic pan was redesigned to allow maximum less water but better disposal! All crap,  :D  if you ask me.

Tell me about it. My next door neighbour has removed all his old (large capacity) toilets and installed three modern half flush units. I have just spent this afternoon rodding out the drains because the new toilets don't deliver enough water to flush away the bog paper. This is the third time it has happened since they were installed, and I have probobly used twice as much water flushing the drains out as was saved by these modern units which as supposed to save water!!!

Why do we in this country use good clean drinking water to flush our loos, why not use grey water. Has anybody got a grey water system on their boat.

It is a good idea I think its just the space that the extra tank (would need to be about the same size as the fresh water tank) would take up on a narrowboat.

You have extra cost for more pumps and a couple of clever valves to swap over to clean water if the grey water tank was empty.

I do like the idea though....

I thought that there was going to be a stop on grey water being pumped overboard.

A grey tank would not have to be very large, if my caravaning days are a guide, it was quite surprising how much water was used but how little went into the waste tank.

It was discused last year. and is several years away yet, but i fitted one so as to keep the ballance of the boat abour the same. 250 galls in the bows and directly behind it 200 of waste so the water from the fresh tank goes back to the same place bar 2' hopefully the bows will only move about 1'' from full to empty

The reason behind smaller cisterns for domestic use is solely for people who have water meters but as you say you need to flush it several times. Still you can't beat a high level cistern just to add that 3-4 foot of head to that flush.

You can purchase diferent shaped cisterns for restricted spaces, we use that in prisons etc. I'll see if i can dig out the details

It was discused last year. and is several years away yet, but i fitted one so as to keep the ballance of the boat abour the same. 250 galls in the bows and directly behind it 200 of waste so the water from the fresh tank goes back to the same place bar 2' hopefully the bows will only move about 1'' from full to empty

where is this being discussed? I have tried to read up on all the legislation and reference stuff over the past 8 months, and I've never heard about it.

just so long as 'they' don't want us to retrofit tanks. My widebeam offers more solutions than most, but all the same....... :D

unlike toilets, where there are options (cassettes), grey water tank emptying would require regular attendance at a pump out station. That may be difficult or impossible for some people in some locations at certain times.

In most countries they don't use cisterns at all, and even over here there is usually enough pressure and flow for the toilet to work without them. The original idea was that the arrangement maintains a separation between the sewage and fresh water systems with no possibility of any kind of back feeding.

I you ever moor for a day or so in the Castlefield area of Manchester, (and you are missing something if you don't). Just across the road is one of the many attractions of the area, the Museum of Science and Technology.

One part of it is dedicated to the development of modern toilets end sewage systems in general, you can even walk through reproduction sewer complete with simulated organic things hanging from above and be beguiled with disgusting gurgling noises and funny smells. Kids love it.

Oh yes there are also big steam engines, locomotives, cars and motorbikes.

Edited by John Orentas

Once it leaves the house it is all mixed just lift the nearest manhole cover.

There are houses built near us, in the 1930's, where all surface water is collected in a sump under the house for use in the garden etc. Of course a pump was needed and these were the old hand pump.

There is nothing new in this world.

In some old houses they used to use 2 pits, 1 to seperate solids from the liquids and 1 as an overflow for the first pit. No required pumping it all takes it natural course. The first pit stinks a little but you have wonderful tomatoes, strange how no one wants to try them

Edited by steveh

Once it leaves the house it is all mixed just lift the nearest manhole cover.

There are houses built near us, in the 1930's, where all surface water is collected in a sump under the house for use in the garden etc. Of course a pump was needed and these were the old hand pump.

There is nothing new in this world.

sewers collect all the domestic discharges from the house and are normally operated by the water authority.

rainwater that discharges from the roof, etc. normally goes to a soakaway in the garden (probably one at the front one at the back) which you may not even be aware of.

road drains (storm drains) should not connect with the sewerage system, they are normally operated by the highways authority.

one of the reasons you pay so much on the water rate is to invest in new infrastructure designed to avoid the foul sewerage mixing with rainwater runoff.

Chris

I can assure you where I live the surface water goes straight into the sewer from my house and all the others in my road. We do not have soak aways if we did we could reduce our water rates as we are charged for said removal.

Chris

I can assure you where I live the surface water goes straight into the sewer from my house and all the others in my road. We do not have soak aways if we did we could reduce our water rates as we are charged for said removal.

Could be true in your area, most areas still use a combined system. Any new build must have a seperate system even if they connect to a combined system down the road.

remember that apart from removal of foul and surface water drainage you are charge for recycling!