help please... residential moorings in northwich/cheshire

mat

Featured Posts

hi guys,

can anyone help....

my inlaws want to take the plunge and go residentail on their 40' narrowboat.(with the scope to go bigger once they secure a mooringsay 60')

they're not much in tune with the internet so i said id have a look around to see what was availablein the way of residentail/permanent mooring.... and im struggling to be honest....

they're moored in nantwhich at the minute, but are looking for a permanent spot somewhere on the trent and mersey or bridgwater canal (not sure if bw allows residential though )....

pappy in law still works in Warrington and has to commute everyday so i was hoping to find somewhere around the northwhich area for them....but any suggestions for the northwest, cheshire area will help.

i myself live right on the bridgwater at preston brook , but i believe they dont allow residential moorings here.... my house backs on to the marina but im told they are full....

so if anyone can help id be greatfull as at present their situation is looking bleak and with their house sold they are likley to be homeless soon and i just cant have them here !!! im sure you all understand that...

thanks alot for any help or suggestions offered...

mat.

Mat,

PB marina is always full which is understandable as its so nice there. I should try Travelreign at Anderton they usually seem to have vacancies coming up I think because its not the greatest marina for facilities and a small percentage of boaters move on. They have a good number of residential moorers. In addition I undertand they are involved with new marina developments between Middlewich up to Wincham that are not yet built but once built they will create vacancies at local marinas in the area where some people move out for a change of scene. Other than that try BW as there are long term linear moorings at Marston for example that may be available.

As you are from P Brook you could try that boatyard further up the Runcorn branch that has a few moorings but I cant remember the name, was visting there myself a little while back and they were very friendly

Charles

hi guys,

can anyone help....

my inlaws want to take the plunge and go residentail on their 40' narrowboat.(with the scope to go bigger once they secure a mooringsay 60')

they're not much in tune with the internet so i said id have a look around to see what was availablein the way of residentail/permanent mooring.... and im struggling to be honest....

they're moored in nantwhich at the minute, but are looking for a permanent spot somewhere on the trent and mersey or bridgwater canal (not sure if bw allows residential though )....

pappy in law still works in Warrington and has to commute everyday so i was hoping to find somewhere around the northwhich area for them....but any suggestions for the northwest, cheshire area will help.

i myself live right on the bridgwater at preston brook , but i believe they dont allow residential moorings here.... my house backs on to the marina but im told they are full....

so if anyone can help id be greatfull as at present their situation is looking bleak and with their house sold they are likley to be homeless soon and i just cant have them here !!! im sure you all understand that...

mat.

I do know that Heritage Narrowboats on the Macclesfield Canal ( 30mts from the Trent & Mersey) currently have a sign outside one of their bungalows stating Moorings available. (there is just room for 2 boats) and they have installed a mains hook - up point.

thanks alot for the advice charles.... i will have a look for travel reign now and see what they can do....

also, what/where is "bw".......

also, i think the smaller moorings further up from preston brook marina you may be refering to is claymoores, which is just a hire boat place and chandlery....

if anyone has any further knowledge about the new marinas being built and when they will be open that would be great, as would any other further suggestions.

many thanks guys.

mat.

ive also read and heard alot about marinas which dont strictly do residential, but do turn a blind eye to it..... so any of these places are open to suggestion too.... ive found that when enquiring by email they can be a bit coy on this subject for obvious reasons....

i cant find any kind of web site where i can search for moorings on specific canals... is there any or am i expecting a bit much....will i have to trawl through the pages of places and canals ive never heard of ?

please excuse my ignorance here, as i explained, although i enjoy a tootle on the cut ,im not actually a boat owner so have limited knowledge on these things...

thanks alot for your help...

Mat,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the mooring that you are looking for is as rare as the proverbial Hen's Teeth. As you will be aware the Bridgewater is run by The Manchester Ship Canal Company and they specifically forbid residential mooring as a condition on their license application. There are some liveaboards but few that are formally recognised and there are waiting lists for moorings through the whole canal. Your best bet at Northwich would be to try Travelreign at Anderton - there are quite a few boats being lived on there and the moorings turn over regularly as many of the boats are first timers. Its a bit of an odd marina in that it is weirdly layed out (intimate!) but probably the only chance you have got as the pressure on mooring, let alone residential, availability round here is crazy. The other option is to go down the locally wandering life that many local liveaboards practice. Although a logistical nightmare unless you have two cars or a love of cycling it does offer the advantage of getting to know both an area and a community (we lived this way round here for a few years), If you don't take the mickey and move around a bit (you can use the Bridgewater for a few days) you should be left alone.

also, i think the smaller moorings further up from preston brook marina you may be refering to is claymoores, which is just a hire boat place and chandlery....

Charles didn't mean Claymore, he said further up the Runcorn branch, he means (BMBCC?)commonly referred to as Runcorn boat club, popular for the dry-dock. It can be found behind the Polar Ford garage in Runcorn, sorry but I don't know the phone number. In all honesty though, its nigh on impossible to get a mooring there without a long wait and you have to be a club member to go on the waiting list.

Moorings on the Bridgewater are not easily come as most of them are on-line and you need to be a member of the relevant club.

You said they fancied a bigger boat, drastic as it sounds, if you want PB(which is very safe and secure)you could consider bringing forward there plans and seeing if there are any bigger boats for sale there. If you buy from them they come with moorings.

Mat,

The other option is to go down the locally wandering life that many local liveaboards practice. Although a logistical nightmare unless you have two cars or a love of cycling it does offer the advantage of getting to know both an area and a community (we lived this way round here for a few years), If you don't take the mickey and move around a bit (you can use the Bridgewater for a few days) you should be left alone.

What great advice!!! Really hope it was tongue in cheek.

;):rolleyes:

Edited by rojomo

I do know that Heritage Narrowboats on the Macclesfield Canal ( 30mts from the Trent & Mersey) currently have a sign outside one of their bungalows stating Moorings available. (there is just room for 2 boats) and they have installed a mains hook - up point.

ill make enquierys on that one, where about, roughly is heritage narrowboats ? ive never been on the macclesfeild canal....

ill make enquierys on that one, where about, roughly is heritage narrowboats ? ive never been on the macclesfeild canal....

Scholar Green.

It is a short way up the macc from Hardings Wood (past hall green stop lock)

Charles didn't mean Claymore, he said further up the Runcorn branch, he means (BMBCC?)commonly referred to as Runcorn boat club, popular for the dry-dock. It can be found behind the Polar Ford garage in Runcorn, sorry but I don't know the phone number. In all honesty though, its nigh on impossible to get a mooring there without a long wait and you have to be a club member to go on the waiting list.

Moorings on the Bridgewater are not easily come as most of them are on-line and you need to be a member of the relevant club.

You said they fancied a bigger boat, drastic as it sounds, if you want PB(which is very safe and secure)you could consider bringing forward there plans and seeing if there are any bigger boats for sale there. If you buy from them they come with moorings.

David/Matt

The mooring I reffered to is the one thats up the Runcorn arm but not the Bridgewater Motor Boat Club, its at what used to be the wooden boat building yard, short of the BMBC, now its got hardstanding, a small number of off line moorings and some on line but I cant remember the name.

Matt. The long term moorings I reffered to are at Marston, where the salt works is near Northwich, to find out about these look on the British Waterways web site and there will be a number to call to enquire about long term moorings

Charles

David/Matt

The mooring I reffered to is the one thats up the Runcorn arm but not the Bridgewater Motor Boat Club, its at what used to be the wooden boat building yard, short of the BMBC, now its got hardstanding, a small number of off line moorings and some on line but I cant remember the name.

Matt. The long term moorings I reffered to are at Marston, where the salt works is near Northwich, to find out about these look on the British Waterways web site and there will be a number to call to enquire about long term moorings

Charles

Hi Charles,

That'll be the "Boat and Butty". The guy that owns it (Paul) is indeed very pleasant and helpful, hens teeth I would have thought though. ;)

:rolleyes: Still stuck at home but nearly there, will come for a brew and a chat soon. :(

Regards, Dave.

Edited by david and julie

hi guys,

can anyone help....

mat.

Venetian should have at least one slot free, since I gave up my mooring there a few days ago. There's no formal residential moorings there, but there are plenty of liveaboards.

Venetian should have at least one slot free, since I gave up my mooring there a few days ago. There's no formal residential moorings there, but there are plenty of liveaboards.
yeah, thats where they are moored now... not a bad place, but a little too far to commute .....
The Travelreign Marina at Anderton is advertising spaces at the mo - not the one near the road but the one opposite, same side as the lift and the Middlewich side
im going to make enquieries here asap..... it seems an ideal location really...... do they do long term/residential moorings or is it merely the blind eye treatment that most people have mentioned?