Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Dread

Moving a Boat

Featured Posts

Hi

 

I have been here before for quite a while but I've had to resign up due to my email account getting locked. 

 

Now, a question I want to ask, Is anyone moving a boat from Plymouth to Falmouth anytime soon as that's what I need to do, I'm experienced in handling a boat but I would not like to do this completely on my own and it would be better if there were 1 or 2 other boats going in the same direction. 

 

Or atleast 1 other crew member, I can give you coach fair back up but that's about it as at the moment I'm a bit skint, There will be food and drink available while piloting the boat to its new location for a couple of months before I take it further up the coast in March. 

 

Thanks in advance. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the canalworld forum.

 

This site is mainly inland boaters (although there are one or two sailors here) so you might get a better response on the YBW forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Captain Dread said:

Yeah but yachties are arrogant stuck up folk, since my boats mast and sails have been removed... 

But surely if you are moving your boat on coastal waters, experience of tides, and navigational marks would be a benefit.

 

Most of the small,sail boat owners I have come across are far from stuck up. Perhaps it is different on the South coast.

 

I doubt there will be one or two boat owners on this forum moving their boat from Plymouth to Falmouth anytime soon, though spose Alan maybe moving when the weather warms up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Captain Dread said:

Hi

 

I have been here before for quite a while but I've had to resign up due to my email account getting locked. 

 

Now, a question I want to ask, Is anyone moving a boat from Plymouth to Falmouth anytime soon as that's what I need to do, I'm experienced in handling a boat but I would not like to do this completely on my own and it would be better if there were 1 or 2 other boats going in the same direction. 

 

Or atleast 1 other crew member, I can give you coach fair back up but that's about it as at the moment I'm a bit skint, There will be food and drink available while piloting the boat to its new location for a couple of months before I take it further up the coast in March. 

 

Thanks in advance. 

 

 

The big problem at this time of year is that you can make plans a week, or even a couple of days in advance and the weather changes. You have now paid crew to come down to Plymouth and will be sitting around for an unknown period of time.

We were 'locked into' Hull marina for 2 weeks due to weather and that was in August, we eventually got back to Plymouth early September after a 3-day non-stop trip.

 

Whereabouts in Plymouth are you ?

Had you considered lifting out onto the hard for the Winter ?

There should be a space at South Down marina (Just opposite Torpoint) as we were booked in there but we were too big for them to lift out and had to go out at the 'Multi-Hull Centre' at Millbrook

Torpoint Marinas.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Captain Dread said:

As stated, I have have experience in coastal waters, I just don't fancy doing it alone in winter. 

Mother Nature is a force not to be reckoned with... 

No, I don't blame you.

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Captain Dread said:

Yeah but yachties are arrogant stuck up folk, since my boats mast and sails have been removed... 

Sounds very unfair.  Susie Goodall did the same and got a lift to South America!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Sounds very unfair.  Susie Goodall did the same and got a lift to South America!

Don't cry for her!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Captain Dread said:

Its a 30 foot Colvic Watson.

Great sea-worthy boats I know the 32's but not the 30.

 

Is it a home build or a 'yard built one ?

Why no mast ?

 

I think waiting until Spring (if you can) is the safest bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was built by Colvic with a custom wheelhouse with lots of teak inside and out. 

Looks pretty and awesome when it's all varnished up, A job which will be sorted next year as I haven't had time this year. 

 

Not sure why there's no mast as I bought it like that, got it for a very good price too... 

Edited by Captain Dread
Phone Typo's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Captain Dread said:

It was built by Colvic with a custom wheelhouse with lots of teak inside and out. 

Looks pretty and awesome when it's all varnished up, A job which will be sorted next year as I haven't had time this year. 

 

Not sure why there's no mast as I bought it like that, got it for a very good price too... 

Good luck with it (and your coastal cruise) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Colvic looked a real bargain on ebay, and the quality of the woodwork seemed excellent. I was tempted but with both an offshore cruiser and a narrowboat already could never have got away with it with the wife!  Good cruising. Cheers. Mick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Captain Dread said:

Yeah but yachties are arrogant stuck up folk, since my boats mast and sails have been removed... 

Strange thing to say and a gross exaggeration. After all, you seem to be getting along fine with the actors who have replied to you on this forum, and when all is said and done aren’t you one yourself?

 

Howard (another one who was once a yachtie- I even sailed in a friends Colvin 32 myself.)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious about that two months for going from Plymouth to Falmouth. Surely you either do it in a day or two, or you don't make it at all and end up strewn across the rocks somewhere? Or is that time mostly spent in port waiting for the right weather, especially in winter when perhaps the right weather is quite rare? Anyhow, I don't do the lumpy stuff but maybe someone on here can help you. If it helps, the going rate inland is just that you feed your crew and always provide plenty of tea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I'm curious about that two months for going from Plymouth to Falmouth. 

He's going anticlockwise:)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, looks like I'm not going anywhere as the boat is stripped out, not even a battery installed. 

 

So much for a bargain boat, it's just a Hull and cabin, nothing whatsoever to power the vessel or anything that was installed in the ebay advert. 

 

Looks like its been standing a while aswell, so much for being completely ripped off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Captain Dread said:

So much for a bargain boat, it's just a Hull and cabin, nothing whatsoever to power the vessel or anything that was installed in the ebay advert. 

Did you not go and actually view the boat before parting with your money ?

 

I suppose you are luckier than some, who after paying, find the boat doesn't even exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, at the time I was suffering with pluresy plus dealing with a personal family matter. 

 

It also looks like the ebay user that sold me the boat is now selling the outboard motor which was meant to come with the boat

Edited by Captain Dread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.