Red Diesel Update - Meeting 20/11/18

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, dmr said:

Was it not the case a while ago that a "coder" was a sort of low level programmer who did the actual production of the code without really understanding much about the "system" whilst a programmer had a leaning to what we might now call a "software architect" or software designer?

To me a programmer is also a code producer (hence why I call myself an engineer ?) but then I've worked on teams developing software for multi million pound projects where you have a whole range of development roles.

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

Was it not the case a while ago that a "coder" was a sort of low level programmer who did the actual production of the code without really understanding much about the "system" whilst a programmer had a leaning to what we might now call a "software architect" or software designer?

One of my particular interests (and rants) is the  confusion of the roles of "software engineer" and "computer scientist" (one makes software work, one makes software complicated ?).

The "bottom line" is that all words can become meaningless and a significant aim of newspeak appears to be to render words vague to the point of becoming meaningless.

................Dave

My thinking was that a "coder" was someone that made the underlying software, software that would have a very crude interface for people to use (or no interface at all), the result will get the job done and would be fine for internal use, but you wouldn't want it open to the general public.

I am always quite blunt about my capabilities with new clients... "I make stuff that works, not that looks pretty. If you want pretty stuff that works you'll need a designer working with me."

24 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

This forum has a default US English spell checker and if you want to post in "British English" you have to know when to disregard it.

Nope.  Your browser has a spellchucker, and you obviously have not set it to British English.

Which browser are you using?

1 minute ago, aracer said:

Except GUI coders that is ;) 

that requires at least a team of three now....

A Graphics Designer (to make it look right)

A User Experience Designer (to decide how it should work)
A Coder (to make it work)

Reminds me of an encounter with the CEO of a company a few years back.

they wanted to change how part of a system operated, visibly this added a single checkbox, behind the scenes it would make massive changes to haw the data was handled and would entail about an extra months work.

CEO : "just do it now, it's only a checkbox, should only take a minute"
Me : "The checkbox is the smallest part of the changes required, it's equivalent would be adding a button to your cars dashboard that says FLY, without making massive changes to the car that button will do F All"

• Greenie 1